Gibson Brands Forums

pink floyd will never record again...

S t e v e

Honestly I'm not surprised that you dislike them. It seems like if the artist/band isn't Gary Moore, mall metal, or dudes who want to prance around in black clothes pretending to be a vampiric Motley Crue you think it's rubbish. You don't start threads like these for a logical discussion, you post something inflammatory fishing for knee jerk reactions (let's face it, posting threads talking crap on Hendrix and Pink Floyd? You choose artists with an exorbitant amount of fans and try to suck them into a verbal firefight).

hey, if you don't "get" my friday night threads by now you never will!...damian! HI FIVE BRO! [laugh]

First off, we all secretly love Steve and his trolling ways, every Msg board has one.dry.gif

(please take this last statement for the SARCASM it is....)

Second,(to stay ON topic)....

The Final Cut IS by FAR The single best Floyd album hands down.

Not many have heard it, it was recorded, and the minute final mastering was done Waters packed up and quit PF.

So it was never supported by a tour, and the label wasn't about to spend the money to promote it with no tour to cover their returns.

If you haven't gotten too give it a listen, well worth it.

...Dave and Roger cant even be in the same room together. Richard is dead. Syd is bat sh*t crazy.. Thanks for the update...

Just for a bit more of an update...

Dave and Nick joined Roger on stage a few months ago during a performance of the whole of 'The Wall' album (Mr. G's first input was the solo for 'Comfortably numb') and Syd Barrett is dead.

P

I have never liked Pink Floyd.

It catered to an audience I was never part of.

Without a doubt David Glimour is a talented musician within his own right but that does not mean he gets me interested with what he and Pink Floyd produced.

They have made a strong imprint in music history and if they never release another album, I really don't think it matters

I grew up in the Pink Floyd days and still love them.

But my 2 big questions are, "DO THEY ONLY DO MUSIC FOR $$$$" and "ARE THEY FRICKEN BROKE NOW AND HAVE TO WORK AT THE SUBWAY SANDWICH SHOP SO THEY CAN'T WASTE THEIR TIME FOR THE HOURLY WAGES EARNED"

Lord have mercy, can't believe anyone would say that. What about to give back to the millions that have made them Richie Rich. Just say'n

Aster

I grew up in the Pink Floyd days and still love them.

But my 2 big questions are, "DO THEY ONLY DO MUSIC FOR $" and "ARE THEY FRICKEN BROKE NOW AND HAVE TO WORK AT THE SUBWAY SANDWICH SHOP SO THEY CAN'T WASTE THEIR TIME FOR THE HOURLY WAGES EARNED"

Lord have mercy, can't believe anyone would say that. What about to give back to the millions that have made them Richie Rich. Just say'n

Aster

Dave and Nick wrote the " Five......Five dollar................Five Dollar Footlong...." song for Subway....

Originaly, it was; " Five.......Five quid.............Five Quid Meterlong...." ( Left off the WALL album )

Just for a bit more of an update...

Dave and Nick joined Roger on stage a few months ago during a performance of the whole of 'The Wall' album (Mr. G's first input was the solo for 'Comfortably numb') and Syd Barrett is dead.

P

Thanks [biggrin] Forgot that Syd had passed on, just remembered he was pretty out there. Truth be told, Floyd's Barrett days are my least favorite in their time line.

So the guys played a couple songs together. Big deal. Half the reason Dave and Roger never play together is that every time they're in the same room, fans start assuming new record and epic reunion tour. The other reason is that they pretty much hate each other. My point is that contrary to Nick's statements, Floyd has been done making studio records for 20 years. To suggest that the only thing holding Pink Floyd back from recording new albums is illegal downloading is a ridiculous notion. This is just some old drummer trying to guilt trip people that pirate music.

If you think Dave and Roger are good buddies, you are wrong my friend. If they need money, they will just play a couple shows in NY and LA and make a couple mil. Why spend months in a studio if you can sell out shows playing your old sh*t.

LOL!

No, I don't think DG and RW are best buddies. I agree wholeheartedly with most of your posts.

Nick Mason is a different kettle of fish altogether. Firstly - and something which should be bourne in mind when considering the first post in this thread - he has a very impish sense of humour. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that all his comments were intended to cause mischief, even if they have a base in truth.

Unlike RW (especially) and DG he gets little financially from record sales as he has almost no songwriting credits and it is these which form 50% of the royalties. In fact this was one of the problems with RW coming up with his late 'concept' albums where, telling a whole story as they did, no-one but RW could have much in the way of an input. This meant that, when divided up, pretty much 50% went straight to RW as the songwriter. The remaining 50% was, roughly speaking, split four ways between the band members. It doesn't take Einstein to work out that RW got another 12 1/2% taking his share to 62 1/2% whereas the rest got just the basic 12 1/2%. RW, therefore, received (and still receives) five times more than the other members.

Big Bone of Contention...

P.

Interesting, Pippy.

I had not considered that the comments may have been mischievous. Also did not know that Waters had positioned himself so well from a business standpoint :unsure: Sounds like Dave is lucky he has a pot to piss in.

Whether you like them or not, I hope we can all agree that Pink Floyd was a unique band. There will never be another like them again. For me, I love the band and I think that David Gilmour is brilliant. There is nothing complicated about his playing but he makes the guitar sing. My jazz teacher used to tell me that it's not the notes that you play that are important, rather it's the ones you don't play. Gilmour epitomizes this statement and he is a master of lyrical playing.

If you hate them so much why do you read about them and post something about them? Is it only to be able to say how much you hate them?

I recently saw a video of Gilmour in Poland and he did "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", his tribute to Syd Barrett, and I must say it was spine-tingling.

They don't have to make any more recordings, their body of work is quite large enough for any fan.

Yes! .. (but Gilmour's LIVE acoustic stuff is still the very best!)

Archived