Gibson Brands Forums

What do you guys think? Edit: Photos added

daveinspain

Well Dave, why were you selling the ES 339? If it was because you needed the money, a trade won't do you any good.

They're both really nice guitars, but for some reason I think the 339 is more your style. Not that I really know your style, but the 6120 just seems to me like a guitar for chicken pickin and rockabilly type players :-k

Well Dave, why were you selling the ES 339? If it was because you needed the money, a trade won't do you any good.

They're both really nice guitars, but for some reason I think the 339 is more your style. Not that I really know your style, but the 6120 just seems to me like a guitar for chicken pickin and rockabilly type players :-k

I'm not selling the 339 for the cash, well in a way I guess I am only because I want to put the money towards a ES 175. I've been gassing for one of those for years now... I have a Johnny A. that is very similar to the 339 but I don't have anything like an ES 175. The 6120 is sort of like an ES 175 in that it's a big full hollow bodied archtop... I think the values are about the same new. The Gretsch might even be worth a bit more... He's sending me some phots today which I will post...

...I want to put the money towards a ES 175. I've been gassing for one of those for years now...

In which case sell it and save for an ES-175 would be my suggestion. Don't take a Gretsch in place of a 175 because you'll always wish you had bought a 175 instead. At least that's how I'd feel. I'm positive about that.

You make me rekindle my desire for this beauty from 1950 that I came across a few weeks ago. Still for sale (Gruhn's), asking $3,750.

Utterly desirable...

EH6296.jpg

P.

I'd say if you have a 335 or another 339, I'd hesitate to make that swap unless the 6120 is a guitar or a sound you're after. I have a 6120 and a 335, and they have two very different tones. I absolutely love the tone of my 6120, and even though it does make for a classic rockabilly tone, it can be used for many other genres, too, if you are looking to add a little bite and sting and low end punch. Those Filtertron pups have a very distinctive sound and don't sound like anything Gibson makes. Value-wise, I'd predict that it would be an equitable trade.

Yeah Dave. I love the feel of my 339 but I don't like the pup's on it. I just tried to talk about selling mine, but no go so for now it will have to take up a little space. I'm getting the one I want built. So if you don't have it in your mind to own another guitar but the one you want, be paitent and work on getting the guitar you want and worry about getting rid of the 339 later when you have more time to put into getting rid of it.

Guest farnsbarns

Looks fantastic, I really don't know Gretch guitars at all but if you do go for it you can still sell the Gretch so you are no worse off even if you don't like it.

Yeah, Deve...nice (tempting) guitar! But, as EVOL mentioned, the pickups are not "humbuckers,"

but single coil Dynasonic's. They have a much "twangier" tone, than even the Gretsch "humbucker"

pickups, do. Closer to a "telecaster" than a humbucker tone. (Just in case you've never played

those particular pickups) I have a Gretch Duo Jet, with the Dyna's on it, and it really has a tone

all it's own. The guitar you're looking at, will be mellower, than my Duo-Jet, being a hollow body,

but it's still a lot more 'Twang,' than an ES-175 will be.

Cheers, and good luck, on your decision. It may be a tough one, for sure! [biggrin]

CB

Gretsch is owned by Fender and most, if not all, 6120s are now being made in Japan- still an excellent guitar. The model pictured appears to be American made. And as CB said, the pups are Dynasonics.

The newer 6120s use Filtertron pups and also have a tone control and pickup selector toggle switches with thumbnail fret markers. Not sure what year the pictured 6120 is from, but definitely appears to be pre-1981. Gretsch dropped the Chet Atkins signature from that model for a short while and referred to that model as the "Nashville," but since has brought the Chet Atkins signature model back into production with a higher price tag.

I would definitely recommend testing it before swapping, as I'm told models made during the '70s may have quality issues.

Gretsch is owned by Fender and most, if not all, 6120s are now being made in Japan- still an excellent guitar. The model pictured appears to be American made. And as CB said, the pups are Dynasonics.

The newer 6120s use Filtertron pups and also have a tone control and pickup selector toggle switches with thumbnail fret markers. Not sure what year the pictured 6120 is from, but definitely appears to be pre-1981. Gretsch dropped the Chet Atkins signature from that model for a short while and referred to that model as the "Nashville," but since has brought the Chet Atkins signature model back into production with a higher price tag.

I would definitely recommend testing it before swapping, as I'm told models made during the '70s may have quality issues.

Actually the guitar was bought new a couple years ago. I believe it's a made in Japan model which is said to be the best quality available now... I went to a guitar store today and they had the exact same model... If the one he has plays and sounds as well as the one I tried in the music store today I'll do the trade...

Actually the guitar was bought new a couple years ago.

Wow! So it was. I should have familiarized myself with the more recent product line before handing out bad advice (sorry).

http://www.gretschguitars.com/products/index.php?partno=2401257822

(Taken from the current Gretsch web site.)

Looking at this web sight, I am amazed at how their product line has expanded in the last couple of years.

Actually the guitar was bought new a couple years ago. I believe it's a made in Japan model which is said to be the best quality available now... I went to a guitar store today and they had the exact same model... If the one he has plays and sounds as well as the one I tried in the music store today I'll do the trade...

Good Decision!! [thumbup]

CB

Archived