Gibson Brands Forums

What tuner do you use???

jeff_farkas

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

using tab is not cheating. It's a tool to be used just like sheet music or your ear. What works best for you may not be the best way for another. To draw a comparison, I hate math and I use a calculator, but that's not cheating (unless your still in school and have a math test - but I'm not in school). The calculator is a tool used to reach an end. For some folks tab is a tool used to reach an end - to be able to enjoy playing guitar.

It's not cheating, it's a tool and an "uneducated" man's way of transcribing music for guitar.

Should everyone use it all the time? No. Too many people rely on it SOOOOO much it is sickening. Too many kids hear something they want to learn and instantly they're on the tab sites. At the very least, you should TRY to learn it by ear.

Should any guitarist worth his weight in gold be able to hear something and play it? Yeah, absolutely. If you can ONLY play by tab or a chord sheet you need to spend some more time woodshopping your mad skillzzz.

Tab is a great tool for beginners to learn songs as well. Most kids want to get a guitar and start playing their favorite songs, not spend months trying to figure out what key their favorite tune is in.

Besides, just because you're hitting the right notes doesn't mean you're playing it in the right position, etc.

Saying tab, in every instance, is outright "cheating" is ignorant and elitist IMHO. There is a fine line, and tab has it's place if it is used properly. I only use it as a very last resort, which is not often.

Ian' date=' that's what I meant, I'm just too lazy to write all that.

I know people who have been playing guitar for years and still only know how to read tabs.

In the beginning it isn't cheating, after a few years of shredding, it is cheating.[/quote']

Okay then, I'm glad you expanded on that.

I think we were all starting to think you were a little crazy there! Just a little.

Too many damn elitists in the world of guitar playing, so many of them just need to chill out and get back to what it is really about! :-D

Boss TU-2.

Best $100 I ever spent out of $50,000 worth of gear.

Works with any guitar, any amp, no matter what kind of mood I'm in.

E is the lowest note the guman vocal chord can produce' date=' so I just sing as low as I can and tune to that.

I've checked with a tuner and I'm never that far off.[/quote']

Huh?

I have a much lower voice than most people, and it's not consistent at the lowest end.

Range varies widely.

I probably wouldn't be able to use your rule of thumb.

A good tuner removes any doubt.

I can rest assured I'm dead on in a matter of seconds, while everybody else is still screwing around...

I use a Boss TU-15 at home and for portable use I have a Korg GA-30 for my guitar and bass and a Tune Tek TT500 for my mandolin. They fit in the cases better and are easiliy replacable. Adding to the mix that I also use different tunings the "close enough" theory just doesn't cut it...plus, that also sounds lazy to me.

Has anyone ever heard the old "Stoner Donkey" saying that back in the day of rotory phones you could use a phone to tune your guitar? According to myth, the old dial tone was a perfect A tone. Anyone know if this is true?, I've never put enough faith in it to try it.

I either just tune to whatever sounds fine' date=' but if I need to play with other musicians...

E is the lowest note the guman vocal chord can produce, so I just sing as low as I can and tune to that.

I've checked with a tuner and I'm never that far off.[/quote']

Ditto.

My lowest note is a bottom D so I start there. Then harmonics (7th and 5th frets etc). Tune up, play a big G open chord and let yours ears tell whats what.

But I do have tuners on my acoustics and yes I use them. Very useful at gigs particularly as I use capos quite a bit.

It's fun to have a bark every now and then but I usually let the dogs do it!

Has anyone ever heard the old "Stoner Donkey" saying that back in the day of rotory phones you could use a phone to tune your guitar? According to myth' date=' the old dial tone was a perfect A tone. Anyone know if this is true?, I've never put enough faith in it to try it.[/quote']

I just put my Korg DT-2 up to the speaker phone. The dial tone was a dead on "A".

Now that's a interesting piece of useless knowlege.

screw efficincy' date=' it's still cheating[/quote']

Hi oilpit. I know what you mean. I can read music (not well) but really struggle on the guitar.

But have you ever read a book or poem translated from another language? It's the same principle for me. Just a visual representation in a different form.

I have a 20 yr old Korg handheld size digital tuner that still works great , was overly expensive at the time Model DT-1 .

Two weeks ago I bought the Korg " pitch black " as it is more convienient being able to hit the switch , mute the instrument ,

tune , then click and play . Works great and is $89.00 . Completely silent switch also . It has 3 modes I use the " strobo mode"

giving me the fastest tuning indicators . NO doubt it is not a Conn Strobo tuner , but this works great and is not 300 bucks .

I just put my Korg DT-2 up to the speaker phone. The dial tone was a dead on "A".

Now that's a interesting piece of useless knowlege.

Hooray! I guess that and six bucks will get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks, and to think some guy told me that about 15 years ago and I thought he was full of it.

Archived