Gibson Brands Forums

What kInd of Capo do you Use?

folkster

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Kyser and a couple of Shubs. Prefer the Shubs (black and grey neck-side rubber). They're just easier for my hands (of course one need to use both opposed to the Kyser, but that doesn't matter) and they come down on the strings very even.

Shub makes versions for 12-strings.

You can get spare rubber parts.

They come in silver, gold, black and vintage.

They are reliable and long lifed.

They are just nice little mechanical devises.

Haven't tried the G7th – slightly spacy design. Will do though.

I have three Kyser capos, and a Shubb "C" series.

I intend to sell all the Kysers to finance the purchase of a Dunlop Victor or Dunlop Johnny Cash (A Victor with Cash's name on it)

Kyser: Very untilitarian. Works, almost too well. Eventually digs grooves into the back of the neck. Ergonomics, to me are backwards. The Dunlop Trigger makes more sense. Gets caught in my pocket. Catches jam mates when clipped to the head stock. I did come up with a strap like key-fob which I attached to the Kyser, then when not in use, clips to a caribiner on my belt.

Shubb: Quick on, quick off. Small enough to fit in pocket. Doesn't get caught on anything or any one. Infinitely adjustable.

Dunlop Johnny Cash: See Shub, less the quick release. Also has J.Cash written on it. Tray cool. [cool] "Well, maybe I am."

Judging by the effort needed to open the Kyser, I'd say it would probably work on a 12 string. So would the other, screw adjustable ones.

Rob, like you, I haven't used a capo since the late 60's. I have a nasty old metal one that looks like some sort of torture device. However, since I have lost almost all of my vocal range, I'm either going to have to start using a capo, or transpose everything I've ever played into different keys. I've found that with my flatpicking style, I definitely prefer playing songs in one key rather than the other, and you get used to picking them that way. They don't always sound exactly right when transposed if you're used to hearing them one way.

Based on the discussions above, I'm going to give the Shubb Deluxe a try. Time to get modern.

Bongos? Not sure they go with your image. Are you re-living something deep and dark in your past that you don't want to share?

Nick, I'm so totally in line with what you said about your voice range..... I've had to re-chart all my stuff into lower keys, (I now tend to play most things in "G").

The good thing is that "G" is very good for open chord playing.

The bongos....well, my nephew is a drummer, and when his dad and I get together, it's nice to have a drummer of some kind help us out....and my wife would KILL me if I ever brought home a trap set!

Haven't used a capo in a couple of decades but back when I was a young folkie a pencil and rubber band did the trick.

Yeah...back in my hippy days a pencil and rubber band did the trick for me too...but it had NOTHING to do with playin' the guitar!

Yeah...back in my hippy days a pencil and rubber band did the trick for me too...but it had NOTHING to do with playin' the guitar!

I thought I had gone really upscale in the world of capos back when I got an elastic one with TWO straps, rather than one.

Has anyone ever had problems with capos and nitro finishes?

Yeah - when I received my M-R GIBS several years ago I started to put the "Kyser" on the headstock. Left traces ... I was terrified! msp_cursing.gifmsp_cursing.gifmsp_cursing.gif

Never put a capo on the headstock with a nitro laquer!

Just to correct a previous post I made here... it is the G7th Newport that I am looking forward to getting, not the Nashville. The Nashville is almost identical to my PlanetWaves Dual Action (and the Dunlop Trigger for that matter). The new Newport capo looks fascinating. I'm picking one up tomorrow and will do a side by side (side by each for those of you in Quebec) comparison of the G7th Newport with the G7th Performance, PlanetWaves Dual Action, Kyser and Schubb.

G7th Newport

newport-capo-493-470.jpg

Yeah - when I received my M-R GIBS several years ago I started to put the "Kyser" on the headstock. Left traces ... I was terrified! msp_cursing.gifmsp_cursing.gifmsp_cursing.gif

Never put a capo on the headstock with a nitro laquer!

If it leaves traces on your headstock, why wouldn't it leave traces on your neck? I would guess that the rubber they use in that capo has some chemicals similar to what is in vinyl. And we all know what vinyl does to nitro finished guitars!

What capo was it that did the damage?

Vinyl is the Enemy

vinyl-reaction-lg.jpg

d35neck.jpg

back.JPG

I went to get the new G7th capo yesterday but asked for the "Nashville" instead of the "Newport". I got out of the store before I realized my mistake and turned around and went back. Of course they didn't have on in stock at that store. So today, I drove a few miles north of Calgary to the Cross Iron Mills GuitarWorks store and exchanged the Nashville for the Newport.

First thing I did was to weigh four capos; the Shubb, PlanetWaves Dual Action, G7th Performance and the new G7th Newport.

Here are the results from lowest weight to highest:

1. Newport = 42g

2. PlanetWaves Dual Action - 48g

2. Shubb - 50g

3. Performance - 74g

I was surprised the Newport weighed less than my Shubb!

As to ease of use, it couldn't be simpler. You put it on the neck, clamp it shut and dial in the amount of tension you want all with one hand. I was able to master it in 30 seconds. Removing it is even simpler. Simply pull up on the tension knob and it is off. I've got a feeling my Shubb might be gather dust.

My biggest gripes with the G7th performance were:

1. Once you put a certain amount of pressure on the capo, you have to release and start over if it is too much.

2. The capo is heavy. At 74g is it a full 24g heavier than the Shubb.

3. The capo has no "memory". For example, you can't set it for an amount of tension on fret 2 for this particular guitar.

The Newport has erased all of those complaints. You can set the pressure while the capo is on the neck with more or less tension. The capo is now the lightest I own. You can set it for a particular tension, take it off the neck and put it back on later and it has the same tension that was set previously.

The other complaint I've heard about the Performance capo is that you can't store it on the headstock. Well, you can actually, but it won't stay there securely like the PlanetWaves Dual Action, Dunlop Trigger or Kyser. However, I don't store my capos on the headstock ever. So this is not an issue for me.

The other plus with the Newport is that it is less expensive than the G7th Performance. Or at least it is less expensive than my Performance G7th cost new a few years back.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it.

G7th Newport

f9932aa1.jpg

PlanetWaves Dual Action

9446762c.jpg

G7th Performance

7fc19229.jpg

Shubb

694a197d.jpg

Thanks Chris. The other thing I failed to mention is the G7th quality of workmanship and the lifetime warranty. You can tell the item is extremely well made. I've had a couple of Dunlop Triggers (one acoustic one electric) fall apart under minimal wear, so the quality of the piece is important.

Here is a video outlining the ease of use with the Newport:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=q6STQFEVlz4

I have used them all just about and I really like the planet wavesns pro. I have a couple shubbs which are great, a page or two which are OK and Kyser (all sorts) but I really like the planet waves ns more than all of them suprisingly enough. Not sure why but it is a little lighter and the rubber seems to work well for some reason...they ahve lasted me too. [thumbup]

I don't know if you know this or not.......capo is short for capotasto, Italian meaning "head of fretboard"....Nothing better than this capo!!!

Do you have a patent on that puppy, or is it in the public domain? I this the Ticonderoga no. 2, or some other version?

What the hell is that string on the low E side?

Started with the elastic strap type, used the pencil technique many times in early years. Had a horrible chrome metal frame torture device briefly. Used a Shubb for years, now a Kyser. I lie the voicings you can get with a capo.

Kyser has a 12 string model. Works great.

I started out with a Shubb capo and have tried the G7th and G7th nashville but still use the Shubb, I have a dunlop trigger capo on my Taylor as it seems to fit better.

I didn't get on with the G7th Nashville, I found it buzzed the bass on the 1st and second fret unless you got it on dead right.

I use the capo quite a lot for finger picking.

Archived