Gibson Brands Forums

Let's discuss

Silenced Fred

illegal downloading.

I try to support artists as much as I can, and I buy physical albums all the time. I use a youtube converter so I can get some live performances that are not available for purchase and stuff like that. I do use Spotify (a totally rad service if you don't use it) and you can get a premium membership for like 10 bucks a month, and it allows you to have an "online" library of whatever music you want. You can't put it on a CD or anything so you never truly own it, but you have access to it. Like Pandora Radio, except you pick the songs and can make playlists, etc.

The main point I kind of want to touch on, is how do you think that illegal downloading has affected the music market as a whole?

Personally, I feel that recorded music is a lot like marketing and ad campaigns now, to get people to come to your shows. It sucks that you won't be able to make money off of record sales that much, but I think it will weed out a lot of "studio bands" who suck live (or at least I hope so).

I'm just in kind of ranty mood before my class, and I was just wondering what other people thought. If I remember correctly, the last thread on illegal downloading went downhill pretty fast because someone said they completely supported illegal downloading and they never buy albums or something. If we could keep it on the topic of how illegal downloading affects music now and in the future, I think that would be awesome.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never downloaded music. Don't have an IPOD. Probably never will. If I want music, I'll go buy the CD. (previously vinyl and tapes, even 8-tracks) ok, now I'm showing my age.

Don't believe in stealing music on-line.

Support your favorite bands... [thumbup] See them live and buy their CD's.

Cause this **** always gets bad, someone gets offended by someone who downloads illegal music. Mind you we're in a forum full musicians and dumbasses.

I'm not talking about whether or not downloading is right, but what artist's can do in this day and age. Downloading isn't going anywhere anytime soon

Copyright your music, use a reputable publishing house with reputable distribution, done. Your music will be freely downloadable via whichever outlet your publisher is allied with. Your cds can still be bought and all of your nieces and nephews can carry yer songs around in their pocket.

I have an iPod, I own cds, they can all live together just fine. When my record is done it will be on disc and it will be hung up in iTunes. Both are still a matter of course, until the cd end of it goes away. Anyone care to guess at when that would be?

It isn't a crisis, it isn't a big deal, it isn't really even a problem. The only people for whom it is a problem are the people downloading records without payment, if that is even still possible. That doesn't hurt The Man, it hurts the artist(s). End Of Story.

rct

Music tours are designed to do one main thing. Sell recorded music. Whether in the lobby or in the music store. Until the last couple decades, illegal copying and sharing music has been minor. Now illegal sharing is rampant.

One of two things is going to happen:

1. Ticket prices are going to have to go up in order to see large scale live performances. The promoters are going to have to soak you for every dollar they can while you are on site, after the concert they cannot count on the ticket buyers to later purchase recordings.

2. Live music will be small scale and regional. No more nation wide tours. They are too expensive and cannot hope to be subsidized by the sale of recordings. Musicians will be much poorer individuals than they now are.

Unless and until a format comes along which precludes large scale file sharing, the demise of the music industry is assured.

Personally, I feel that recorded music is a lot like marketing and ad campaigns now, to get people to come to your shows. It sucks that you won't be able to make money off of record sales that much, but I think it will weed out a lot of "studio bands" who suck live (or at least I hope so).

You have it as exactly backwards as possible. Touring and live play sell records, and I don't think it will ever be the other way around, it isn't a viable way to make a living. Shows cost.

What you can do in the studio is vastly different than the constraints of live performance, and in my experience your live performance is not an indicator of how good your records are, and we all know the opposite to be true as well.

rct

Well the obvious is that there isn't as much money going to the companies and artists. Then again a lot of the time artists aren't getting what I would describe as a fair share anyways. The technology as a whole has made it easier for people to get their music on the web and share it with others, although with such a large and varied (both stylistically and proficiently) amount of music out there you have to sift through a lot of poor imitations and covers to find something both original and enjoyable. There are still plenty of file sharing outlets so those intent on obtaining the music illegally (which is probably going to happen no matter the means used) still have relative ease of access.

I prefer buying the actual CD then loading it onto my computer and then sending it to my iPhone and iPod. I just can't stand not having a physical copy in the event my devices went down. Even with cloud I'm a little leery of trusting them to forever hold onto my music. Plus I like to look at the artwork and pictures included in a CD.

You have it as exactly backwards as possible. Touring and live play sell records, and I don't think it will ever be the other way around, it isn't a viable way to make a living. Shows cost.

What you can do in the studio is vastly different than the constraints of live performance, and in my experience your live performance is not an indicator of how good your records are, and we all know the opposite to be true as well.

rct

true, but the price of tickets keep growing, and I agree with you, that touring and shows should sell records, but the problem is when people don't buy the records

I try to buy hard copies of all my music as much as possible. If it's a band that I really enjoy listening to, then I'm probably gonna go buy every CD by that band. I also buy a lot of vinyls from my favorite bands of yesteryear. However, if there's only one song that I like by a certain artist, then I'm probably gonna go to Youtube and download a video of said song and convert it to MP3. Once something is on Youtube it's public domain.

I like paying for stuff with the money I earn working.

I also buy vinyl when it is possible and for selected albums.

When sites like Napster were around the MP3s quality was horrendus, I am not sure how it is today but I was never interested in an under-buffered, noisy and incomplete compressed MP3, life is too short for that.

The music industry shot itself in the foot early on. Back in the 90s when MP3 technology became available, they ignored it. When the iPod hit in 2001 the popularity of music files went through the roof. The music industry spent the better part of the last decade trying to sue downloaders into submission. That wasn't working, so they finally jumped on board with digital distribution.

The battle for better online royalty rates is going on right now through legal battles. Last spring, courts ruled that Eminem's digital music should be treated as a license (paying him 50% of royalties) rather than a sale (12%). From this article - http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/story/2011-09-22/digital-music-sales-holdouts/50502302/1

Somebody posted in here an article on how the music industry is booming with record internet sales due to technology and iTunes, Amazon, etc.

I think the music industry is doing fine, it was a long article but never did they adress how much artists get...we all probably know it is not much.

To me the one thing illegal downloading did was to lower the price of CDs which was needed.

I always though it was BS that vinyl cost $8 to $10 when CDs came out and CDs were much more expensive and did not come down in price for many years.

Go figure now I pay more for a vinyl than I do for a CD.

To me the one thing illegal downloading did was to lower the price of CDs which was needed.

I always though it was BS that vinyl cost $8 to $10 when CDs came out and CDs were much more expensive and did not come down in price for many years.

and jack the prices of tickets for shows the **** up.

What I always found BS and most likely the main reason there are barely any music stores around where I live anymore is the fact that a new album would come out and it would be say $18 which isn't too bad. But back when I was in my teens I would barely ever buy just one cd and would look into the old Led Zepellin, Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath and all of their old cds cost $40 and up. It wasn't until Wal-Mart came around that they had to bring their prices down.

What I always found BS and most likely the main reason there are barely any music stores around where I live anymore is the fact that a new album would come out and it would be say $18 which isn't too bad. But back when I was in my teens I would barely ever buy just one cd and would look into the old Led Zepellin, Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath and all of their old cds cost $40 and up. It wasn't until Wal-Mart came around that they had to bring their prices down.

Oh so young. I bought the first Stones album when out came out for 2.99.

Guest Farnsburger

Being Married to the person in charge of tracking income from TV sync, ticket sales, mechanical sales and who oversees the payment of artists and their audits for one of the largest labels and publishers in the world I am fairly well placed to respond to this. I'm sure some will still disagree but hey ho. Here goes...

Music tours are designed to make money regardless of subsequent record sales, and they do (generally, obviously there are some flops)

Unless and until a format comes along which precludes large scale file sharing, the demise of the music industry is assured.

This will happen but there is no real problem in the mean time.

Well the obvious is that there isn't as much money going to the companies and artists.

The music industry as a whole is in a period of turnover and profit growth.

Once something is on Youtube it's public domain.

What? No it is NOT.

I know very little about this but would think that if music is being illegally downloaded the supplier should be held liable.

They are, in Europe however, users of file sharing platforms are being disconnected from the internet and banned from all ISPs, permanently. Actually this is being done without trial which I am appalled by but that's a bit political so don't respond ;)

The music industry shot itself in the foot early on. Back in the 90s when MP3 technology became available, they ignored it. When the iPod hit in 2001 the popularity of music files went through the roof. The music industry spent the better part of the last decade trying to sue downloaders into submission. That wasn't working, so they finally jumped on board with digital distribution.

The battle for better online royalty rates is going on right now through legal battles. Last spring, courts ruled that Eminem's digital music should be treated as a license (paying him 50% of royalties) rather than a sale (12%). From this article - http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/story/2011-09-22/digital-music-sales-holdouts/50502302/1

The MP3, or Motion Pictures Expert Group Audio Layer 3 was designed by an international group of experts in audio technology and asymmetrical algorithmic data compression from university departments, distribution companies, record labels, publishers and others. The music industry as a whole had a hand in it. Sony invented ARTRAC3, now a part of the MP3 standard.

Somebody posted in here an article on how the music industry is booming with record internet sales due to technology and iTunes, Amazon, etc.

I think the music industry is doing fine, it was a long article but never did they adress how much artists get...we all probably know it is not much.

That is absolutely true. Digital delivery has hugely enhanced the income of the labels and publishers. There is indeed more theft now but there is a LOT more music being purchased and with much lower overheads to the labels and publishers.

Digital delivery is in no way a problem for the music industry, despite illegal downloads.

Archived