Gibson Brands Forums

Gig Bags

Nitrate

I like gig bags for my cheaper more durable guitars. It has to have shoulder straps so you can wear the guitar while you carry your amp. Also it needs pockets large enough to fit at least a cable, tuner, and a guitar strap. This way, you only need to make one trip from your car to the gig site. I don't know if there is a way to solve this next problem but the guitar inevitably goes out of tune during transport in gig bags because it touches the tuning machines. Good Luck.

not to sound facetious but... the gig bag needs to be more like a hard case. long story short, it should have some bracing around the headstock and some neck support. i use a gig bag occasionally. i glued a block (4"x4"x3") of hard packaging foam to the bottom of it - around where the neck support is on a trad case - and gouged it for the neck to rest in it. i also slit the sides of the bag and slid some 4" strips of thin plastic (fashioned out of dollar store placemats) in to create some side stability. it worked and it didnt. the strips need to be glued in or the move around. but i was, essentially, trying to make a hard case from a gig bag.

if you are a travelling, working musician, then a gig bag is right out. gig bags are useful if you're just throwing a guitar in the car and going a/b with it. not having the headstock bump around would be a plus.

Back to the original question at hand here.

The reinforcement issue is the main thing here, and how to design a safe portable gig bag.

And keep in mind not everyone is a Gibson owner or snobbish Gibson owner.

The guys asking for suggestions not what you do with your Guitars for craps sake.

A gig bag is a good way for the less monetarily fortunate players out there(and there are many)to transport their instrument.

Good luck with your designs I wish I could help out more, but it seems the issues have already benn discussed here.

As well as some disgust... Fxckin Snobs...

Rehearsals suck, huh?

I stand by my post. Using a similar set up to the internal frame backpacks, you could have an inexpensive softshell case that is quite protective.

I mention that I use HSCs for the purpose of pointing out that my experience with gig bags is limited, not because I am a snob. O:)

So - according to AXE®, the following are 'Fxckin Snobs' and he is 'disgusted' with us.....

flight959, Thermionik, Bluemoon, kmartem, Old Deadhead, jeff-farkas, Notes_Norton (that's 7/13)

.....because we would rather use a hard case.

I guess R9 and Chanman are kinda part-snobs - they prefer 'em hard but give advice.

Ian Martin, SolidGuitar and cunkhead are NOT snobs at all, and Deepblue's lack of comment makes him real hard to place in AXE®'s scheme of things.

Nice to know our places, what?

The man was asking for help in his designs.

Not what you do with your guitars. Right ?

Therefore contributing nothing to help a person with their endeavor.

Just a bunch of ME MY and I... So yeah I found some of the comments to be rude and condescending, and not the least bit helpful or informative...

I doubt he'll be back due to the warm welcome recieved by his first post,

I always thought the members of this forum were of a helpful nature...

Nobody was being rude about anything (until you, AXE®, came by expressing disgust at the 'fxckin snobs'). Up to that point the general consensus was that hard-cases were better than gig-bags at protecting guitars, and so gig-bags needed to maximise their protection capability to give them an edge in the market-place. Subsidiary suggestions concerned straps and storage space.

You then suggested that half the people posting were probably Gibson owners or snobbish Gibson owners and that you were digusted with the fxckin snobs.

Can't speak for the others, but I can't afford a Gibson right now, but even my cheapo guitars share hard cases, one flat rectanglar for electrics and a couple of hard-cases for acoustics. I bought the cases damaged or broken, and repaired them.

If someone came up with a low-cost gig-bag that gave the same protection as a hard-casr - I'd buy into it - but probably second hand, since new would still be expensive.

So - if that information doesn't help Nitrate firm up (no pun intended) his design ideas, then I am sorry. But I for one don't need you telling me off like I am some naughty kid.

You say you are a vip-member.gif

What's that - Vain, Irritating Prima-donna?

So - according to AXE®' date=' the following are '[i']Fxckin Snobs[/i]' and he is 'disgusted' with us.....

flight959, Thermionik, Bluemoon, kmartem, Old Deadhead, jeff-farkas, Notes_Norton (that's 7/13)

.....because we would rather use a hard case.

I guess R9 and Chanman are kinda part-snobs - they prefer 'em hard but give advice.

Ian Martin, SolidGuitar and cunkhead are NOT snobs at all, and Deepblue's lack of comment makes him real hard to place in AXE®'s scheme of things.

Nice to know our places, what?

I'm not a snob.Gig Bags are not the proper tool for transporting your guitar. They offer no neck protection whatsoever. I stand by my recomendation of a thin micrfiber bag, more like a sock, that will fit in your hard case. Generic hard cases are available on-line for less than $50 bucks, even less if you find a used one on evil bay.

Archived