Gibson Brands Forums

Let's have "George Harrison Month!"

charlie brown

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Wednesday I bought Olivia Harrison's biography of George "Living In A Material World" and when I sat reading it at the breakfast table Thursday morning my wife was miffed as she had planned on giving it to me for Christmas.I'm only part way through it but there are a lot of pix of George and The Beatles I've never seen before as well as a lot of correspondance he wrote to his loved ones while he was on tour.The Nov. issue of the British music mag MOJO has a large section devoted to George as well as a compilation CD of covers of some of his best songs by artists such as Show Of Hands,The Webb Sisters and Ron Sexsmith etc. some of the songs are nothing to write home about but some are absolutely outstanding such as The Webb Sister's I Need You.George Harrison besides being a person who inspired me to become a musician,has been a great influence on how I've lived my life.I adopted George's philosophy about life on the whole and how I relate to others.If everyone was to live their lives as George did and treat others with the humility and respect that George did,our world would be a Heaven on Earth.

On Wednesday I bought Olivia Harrison's biography of George "Living In A Material World" and when I sat reading it at the breakfast table Thursday morning my wife was miffed as she had planned on giving it to me for Christmas.I'm only part way through it but there are a lot of pix of George and The Beatles I've never seen before as well as a lot of correspondance he wrote to his loved ones while he was on tour.The Nov. issue of the British music mag MOJO has a large section devoted to George as well as a compilation CD of covers of some of his best songs by artists such as Show Of Hands,The Webb Sisters and Ron Sexsmith etc. some of the songs are nothing to write home about but some are absolutely outstanding such as The Webb Sister's I Need You.George Harrison besides being a person who inspired me to become a musician,has been a great influence on how I've lived my life.I adopted George's philosophy about life on the whole and how I relate to others.If everyone was to live their lives as George did and treat others with the humility and respect that George did,our world would be a Heaven on Earth.

Ok I'm a huge George Harrison and Beatles fan. Their music has filled my life since the age of 4 and not a day goes by when I don't feel their influence in some way. I love the music, their humor, their unbelievable work ethic and production in a short time span. I own every record they made together and every solo album by John, Paul and George, (sorry Ring)

That being said George wasn't perfect (read the books that are out there,even Olivia touches on his infidelities in the documentary on HBO) and did write songs that were sucked (Blue Jay Way for one, Somewhere in England (the whole album).

I think George as a whole was quite the enigma but I couldn't imagine my life without his influence.

Ok I'm a huge George Harrison and Beatles fan. Their music has filled my life since the age of 4 and not a day goes by when I don't feel their influence in some way. I love the music, their humor, their unbelievable work ethic and production in a short time span. I own every record they made together and every solo album by John, Paul and George, (sorry Ring)

That being said George wasn't perfect (read the books that are out there,even Olivia touches on his infidelities in the documentary on HBO) and did write songs that were sucked (Blue Jay Way for one, Somewhere in England (the whole album).

I think George as a whole was quite the enigma but I couldn't imagine my life without his influence.

Well, I don't think anyone would say George was "perfect?" Or, without fault. No one is!

He had his ups and downs, musically, but a vast majority of his work was first rate!

I'm sure we all have our favorites, as well as (differing) non-favorites. That's ok. I used to read

some of John's critiques, of his and the other's songs, too. I didn't always agree, with him,

because sometimes he was just being "John," that way. But, I respected his opinion, and

insight, as well. George, that way, too.

CB

Something I appreciate about the Beatles (besides their contribution to rock and roll history) was they all had a pretty good sense of humor. You could tell they didn't always take themselves totally serious, and that's a great thing. Here are a couple funny clips I found of George.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AarhZScyuz0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zciiuMLh9_M

I think that every February should be George Harrison month to celebrate the month of his birth as opposed to the month of his death.Back in 2001 when George died,although I had been expecting it,the news of his death hit me like a ton of bricks and I mourned just as I would mourn for a close family member.I had lost the best friend I never met.George's life and the way he lived it had a profound influence on me and I shut myself off in my music room for 3 whole days.I played all the Beatle songs and George's songs and the whole Anthology series as I read the companion book that goes with it.After 3 days I emerged from my sequestering and resumed life as best I could but it still took quite a while for the pain of losing him to subside.

I think that every February should be George Harrison month to celebrate the month of his birth as opposed to the month of his death.Back in 2001 when George died,although I had been expecting it,the news of his death hit me like a ton of bricks and I mourned just as I would mourn for a close family member.I had lost the best friend I never met.George's life and the way he lived it had a profound influence on me and I shut myself off in my music room for 3 whole days.I played all the Beatle songs and George's songs and the whole Anthology series as I read the companion book that goes with it.After 3 days I emerged from my sequestering and resumed life as best I could but it still took quite a while for the pain of losing him to subside.

Hey, I can go for that! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Archived