Gibson Brands Forums

Do you use different amps, for differnt guitars?

charlie brown

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I thought of that, even as we were playing, and took the bass down a LOT, pushed the mids to

nearly max, and the treble at about 1/2 to 3/4 max, depending on if I was using the Les Paul (double

cut) faded "Special," or my Ric 12-string. The Ric sounded fine, really...as the songs I use it on,

tend to be less volume dependant, anyway. Thanks, as always, FM, for the input/ideas.

Edit/Addition: We were all using Tube amps, and the 2 (myself, and my Telecaster playing buddy) were using identical Fender Blues Juniors.

CB

Man I hate it when it's not an obvious problem [cursing] Sometimes the Gremlins are just having a field day. Weekend before last a band came up here to play the Halloween gig at our local Bar (our one big place in town LOL). One of the guitarists amps went out so they called me up to borrow mine, soon as they got it set up the Bass players rig goes down [rolleyes] . Thier first set was a disaster, but they pulled it together for the rest of the weekend. They chalked it up to Gremlins and "One of Those Nights".

I used to. But now I'm using only the AC30 and any guitar that doesn't sound like I want with it just doesn't get used at all. I prefer less options 'cause when I have had too many options it's been really hard for me to decide which one to go with.

Does that make any sense?

Marshall for everything.

I also use Marshall for everything, but I like to use lots of different guitars. To simplify things I leave my amp settings the same and compensate for different guitars/pickups by using different patches. I use rack gear (JMP-1,etc.). It is the only way I have found to use a lot of different guitars live.

For my stage set up I first send my guitar and effects into a Marshall JCM 800 4210 which I then slave out through an Ibanez DM-1000 Digital delay with the echo/delay signal going into a 1969 Fender Bassman with a'68 Fender Bassman 2-15 cabinet and a Leslie Model 16 and then the dry signal into a JCM 800 2204 full stack.By tweaking the tone controls and volume balance between each amp I can get absolutely deadly tone and when the Leslie starts throwing the delayed signal around especially when there's a bit of flange going through it,the tone is an absolute killer.

The first time my nephew-who is always gigging and has a successful recording career-heard my setup he was floored by the "wall-of-sound"effect I got from my rig.No matter what guitar I plug into this rig the tone will require very little tweaking as with three amps and basically 5 cabinets I have the full tonal spectrum pretty well covered.

Yeah, I used to use only my Marshall Major, full stack. It was all I ever needed. [biggrin]

Now, depending on the room, which guitar, etc...I seem to have to do a LOT more

fiddling around, to get some semblance of "equal" results. Maybe, for my "bar"

gigs, I should just use my little Marshall AVT-20? LOL Or, get a "Haze" 40? I'm

really just trying to "make do," with the otherwise great amps, I already own.

Who knows?! [unsure][tongue]

CB

Generally I've always used one amp regardless of the guitar. Sometimes I've had to tweak my EQ and volume because of differences in the guitar's overall tone. For example if I switch from a Gibson to a Fender, I need to roll off some hi's because the Fender will be too bright sounding.

I have noticed however that my Gretsch sounds amazing in my Vox AC15VR. It still sounds good with my Traynor YCS50 rig, but there's something about the Gretsch/Vox combination that just stands out.

Now, one thing that I wonder about with regards to your respective rigs... You use a Les Paul and the other uses a Tele, but you each have the same amp?

I've heard that sometimes if you have gear to similar to each other it can make it harder to distinguish one guitar from the other in the mix. I'd first heard these comments made before about Corrosion Of Conformity because both guitarists used SG's with Marshalls but somehow managed to get their individual tones so you could single out one guitar track vs the other.

The only thing with your situation as you've pointed out, is that many bands with 2 guitarists over the years have used the same amps and have no issues. Normally I'd say it would be a matter of getting the right balance in eq between the 2 guitars and the bass so you all have your own space in the mix but my experience with such different guitars is that even when using identical settings on identical amps, there should be enough difference in tone to be able to hear both. The secret might lie in the acoustics of the room. If playing with eq settings hasn't helped you might want to try putting the amps in different locations on the stage and see if there is any particular spots that make a positive difference.

Charlie, could It be everyone was playing too loud?

I have a rehearsal room and most hands use the amps I have there (2 tube amps, 2 digital amps, 400W bass amp and mixing console with speakers and floor monitoring) and no band sounds the same (obviously) and I have noticed some bands make it possible for everything to feel in place by not playing too loud. Bands that play too loud end up being unable to listen to what they are playing and so each member starts rising his own volume, worsening the problem. To those that experience that I always go in and tell them to lower their volume (there's a limit to how high you can push the vocals before they start to give horrible feedback anyway). Those who chose to listen to me and lower everything end up rehearsing, those who don't, end up scratching their heads for hours until their time is up and they have to pack and leave. :)

I use an old Lab Series L-3, which is a very transparent amp. It is perfect for use with the Line 6 Pod. Hooking them together is like having an arsenal of amps at your fingertips. A few years back, Ronnie Milsap's soundman told me that Milsap's guitar player stopped bringing an amp on the road and just went straight through his Pod. I still like using my Pod with the L-3. Only mod to the L-3 is a Black Widow speaker which gave the amp a little more head room.

Generally I've always used one amp regardless of the guitar. Sometimes I've had to tweak my EQ and volume because of differences in the guitar's overall tone. For example if I switch from a Gibson to a Fender, I need to roll off some hi's because the Fender will be too bright sounding.

I have noticed however that my Gretsch sounds amazing in my Vox AC15VR. It still sounds good with my Traynor YCS50 rig, but there's something about the Gretsch/Vox combination that just stands out.

Now, one thing that I wonder about with regards to your respective rigs... You use a Les Paul and the other uses a Tele, but you each have the same amp?

I've heard that sometimes if you have gear to similar to each other it can make it harder to distinguish one guitar from the other in the mix. I'd first heard these comments made before about Corrosion Of Conformity because both guitarists used SG's with Marshalls but somehow managed to get their individual tones so you could single out one guitar track vs the other.

The only thing with your situation as you've pointed out, is that many bands with 2 guitarists over the years have used the same amps and have no issues. Normally I'd say it would be a matter of getting the right balance in eq between the 2 guitars and the bass so you all have your own space in the mix but my experience with such different guitars is that even when using identical settings on identical amps, there should be enough difference in tone to be able to hear both. The secret might lie in the acoustics of the room. If playing with eq settings hasn't helped you might want to try putting the amps in different locations on the stage and see if there is any particular spots that make a positive difference.

This is a great post... Very informative. I agree that different guitars has more of an impact on the mix than different amps. My experience has been that putting one guitar amp on a chair or using tilt-back legs helps a lot in rooms with weird acoustics... This more so than EQ changes can improve a bad situation.

I have seen many a sound man shake his head to see both guitarists haul out Gibsons. Never saw two Fenders get the same reaction. A Fender's sound is just not as complex, and that shows up on an oscilloscope, by the way.

Parallelism is a problem. Amps too close to and parallel to walls is just begging for muddy sound, IMO. Bleed from the amps into vocal and drum mikes also induces phase problems caused by different arrival times of the sound at the various transducers in the system.

I find single coils cut better than him buckets (this is what iPhone 4s autocorrect looks like : read "humbuckers", please) [sneaky] . That's why I like to use them whenever the house mains quality permits. I really like the sound of Gibson P-90s, although I have noticed a lot of variation between sets of the modern ones. But I always have a reverse wound Strat or gum bucket [cursing] (thanks again, iPhone!) equipped guitar for backup.

My $.02/FWIW

J/W

B)

... Fun thread, Charlie brown!

Well, the amps (all) were off the floor. But, our two Blues Jr.'s were parallel

to the wall...and very close to it, as well. Still, there was no problem hearing

the Telecaster, at all. Only my P-90 equipped Les Paul special, was harder to hear,

as to be invisible, in the "mix" (mess), quite often. The whole band, was cramped

into a very small space, as we always are, in that particular venue=small bar. However,

this time, the guy that heads the "jam" set us up, a little differently, than usual,

which accounted for the 2 Blues Jr.'s, being side by side, and right against the wall.

So, all that, may indeed, have contributed. But, it still doesn't account for what

happened, to my pedals. Why they seemed to lose volume, at the same settings they were

tested at, earlier (in my house), and worked just fine...with the same power supply.

I don't know, that the building we played in, has any particularly "dodgy" power problems.

I'd almost expect not, considering all the refridgeration, juke box, and other electical

items, needed/used constantly. I use surge protectors, too...if that's any help? So...

it's a bit of a mystery, still.

I really appreciate all the ideas, and input, though...from all of you! [thumbup]

CB

Well, the amps (all) were off the floor. But, our two Blues Jr.'s were parallel

to the wall...and very close to it, as well. Still, there was no problem hearing

the Telecaster, at all. Only my P-90 equipped Les Paul special, was harder to hear,

as to be invisible, in the "mix" (mess), quite often. The whole band, was cramped

into a very small space, as we always are, in that particular venue=small bar. However,

this time, the guy that heads the "jam" set us up, a little differently, than usual,

which accounted for the 2 Blues Jr.'s, being side by side, and right against the wall.

So, all that, may indeed, have contributed. But, it still doesn't account for what

happened, to my pedals. Why they seemed to lose volume, at the same settings they were

tested at, earlier (in my house), and worked just fine...with the same power supply.

I don't know, that the building we played in, has any particularly "dodgy" power problems.

I'd almost expect not, considering all the refridgeration, juke box, and other electical

items, needed/used constantly. I use surge protectors, too...if that's any help? So...

it's a bit of a mystery, still.

I really appreciate all the ideas, and input, though...from all of you! [thumbup]

CB

If the power supply is old, it might be getting ready to go to P/S Heaven...

J/W

If the power supply is old, it might be getting ready to go to P/S Heaven...

J/W

I suppose that's possible, but it had been in storage, a long time, and not

used that much, as to "wear it out," now. Who knows?! Anyone have problems,

using the TU-2 Boss Tuner/power supply pedal? [unsure]

CB

Some of these posts that I've read could easily be sorted by getting a large rehearsal room. I used to rehearse in a small room. But we'd often book a Church hall for a full run through. Then you can sort these problems out at 'Gig' volumes. It may cost to book a PA etc. but it helps. I should imagine you can book a large room quite cheap.

Some of these posts that I've read could easily be sorted by getting a large rehearsal room. I used to rehearse in a small room. But we'd often book a Church hall for a full run through. Then you can sort these problems out at 'Gig' volumes. It may cost to book a PA etc. but it helps. I should imagine you can book a large room quite cheap.

Yeah, IF the Gig venue is of the same or larger size. The problem here, is...

that most of our gigs, are in what are lovingly referred to as (local/area) "toilets!"

(AKA very small bars.) [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Archived