Gibson Brands Forums

Do you think you should have to make 10 posts before posting in the Gibson lounge? Why

I say yes - we get hit a lot with either SPAM, or just by folks looking for prices

so they can sell their gits on ebay. after that, our usefulness is ended, usually

never hear from them again.

We want CONTRIBUTING members, not folks who want us to do their research for them!

Yes....It has nothing to do with credibility at all.......Spammers make their way through....It's good to monitor newbies for their first ten posts......

Once you are on the Gibby Lounge, you'll understand.....It's already the Wild West......You'll understand soon enough.........................

The Epi Lounge is self monitoring, so, everything is usually smooth there...........

10 post, really are not hard to do. Not a huge commitment for a guy to have to make.

ALSO: if someone is here to genuinely want info or help with something, it does not hamper that, because it does not HAVE to be posted in the lounge.

BUT: for spammers, 10 post is far too much effort to have to make. Most spammers don't put hardly any effort into their SPAM, nor any thought to the trouble they cause others.

Making some great points here! Despite my original skepticism I'm becoming a believer!

And as for whoever said that thing about getting help places other than the lounge....SPOT ON MATE! I went to the Introductions forum to post a question I had about the relevance of wire gauge in the cavity of an SG and got an articulate and helpful response within the day!

Loving the forum so far, but not as much as I love my SG [thumbup]

-Anotherguy

Guest farnsbarns

I think it's a good idea, the lounge is an off topic area for Gibson fans to chat. It was introduced because of the idle chat going on in other areas. I actually believe the 10 posts rule is there to prevent trolls from joining up and starting troll threads in the lounge where the die hard Gibson fans "hang out" and we can be a touchy bunch, perfect Target for idiot kid trolls. To a spammer a link elsewhere is just as valuable.

It also makes good sense in terms of search engine traffic to force new members to make 10 post in other model/brand specific categories before they can join us here in the lounge to waffle about nothing. I suspect that also has something to do with it.

In reality, it's a meaningless rule. I wonder whose brainchild it was.

With respect, Moishe, you are wrong.

You've been a member here for less than two months and as such have absolutely no idea of the amount of garbage that used to clog up the lounge before the '10 posts' rule was put into practice.

As it is I've reported about four SPAM threads posted in the 'Introduce Yourself' section - where their peurile antics have less impact - in the last 24 hours. Trolls don't get a straightforward chance to enter the lounge nowadays.

As has been suggested by others, these days the SPAMmers and Trolls tend to post once and are never heard of again.

It's a very good rule indeed.

P.

With respect, Moishe, you've been a member here for less than two months and as such have absolutely no idea of the amount of garbage that used to clog up the lounge before the '10 posts' rule was put into practice.

As it is I've reported about four SPAM threads posted in the 'Introduce Yourself' section in the last 24 hours. Trolls don't get a straightforward chance to enter the lounge nowadays.

It's a very good rule indeed.

P.

+1

People can be jerks on occasion, and we sometimes have conversation that gets into the inappropriately emotional, but some of the bot and spam sorta stuff can be kept out by the 10 post rule.

Note that most of "us" commenting in favor of 10-100 posts are folks who've been on the forum quite a while and, while we may have mixed emotions on some who have been here and gone, none want to read a bot's post of what wonderful television show is available tomorrow night.

The exception to that, and one that can be directed to a mod rather easily, is if there's been a post such as about a new fingerboard material - and someone from the manufacturer has chimed in to respond. We had one with a US Coast Guard PR comment after a mention of Coasties some years ago.

But I don't care to see the same ... body part enlargement ... sorts of spam here that seem to hit every other email account in the world.

m

Archived