Gibson Brands Forums

Coke or Pepsi??

jeff_farkas

Dandelion and Burdock every time.....

.....or Bourbon.

Hey guys - can you help me out here. How is Wild Turkey rated in the USA' date=' like good, bad or indifferent.

Does the fact that I like [b']Wild Turkey[/b] mark me out as a dork, a fool or a guy with taste and discernment. I have no idea where it sits in the awesome range of Bourbons available, so I need you American Bourbon drinkers to help me out in case I am being a fool. I know - if I like it, that's all that matters. But I wouldn't want to ask for a Wild Turkey and be laughed out of town, yah know.....

You wont get laughed out of town.

Second choice of premium bourbons after Makers Mark

Turkey is known as a high proof whiskey

Dont mix good bourbon with anything, drink it over crushed ice straight up.

Coke or Pepsi don't care I pretty much think they taste the same ? as for DRINK usually Chivas or Jack. Best advice I ever got came from a team leader on a swat team once who said " okay guys if your gonna drink and answer the pager always drink whiskey or scotch never Vodka that way I can smell the booze and know your drunk not stupid.

explains a lot when you think it through.

Old Deadhead - you're kidding me..... ice, man, 'ice is for Americans' (to quote somebody.....).

I like my Wild Turkey straight and room temperature. But I thank you for the rest of the advice.

Your chaps do make some fine bourbons and ryes, it must be said.

Oh crap! This is my favorite when I feel like splurging - it's $10.99 a 6 pack here. I like the Fuller's ESB (Extra Special Bitter) even bitter. Mmmmmm... guess what I'm buying this weekend?

The bottles and cans are great but you can't beat it draft.

If you are ever in London, the best pint of London Pride,without doubt, can be found at The Artillery Arms in Bunhill Row, near to The Honourable Artillery Company, just north of the City of London. I used to work nearby and spent many a lunchtime there. Best Pride you can buy. Currently about £2.80/pint.

Until a few years ago, The Artillery Arms had a Bona Friday Club and to join you had to drink 3 pints of ESB on 3 consecutive fridays, and 5 pints on the 4th friday. They have their own tie and still have a xmas lunch in the pub every year.

I'm not a member - ESB is not a session beer for me - far too strong but tastes great!

Albertjohn - I used to pop in to the 'Tillery maybe once a month or so from '70 to '87 - usually using a trip to RS Components off Old Street as an excuse..... I was doing Med Research engineering at Bart's and the (then) missus was a sec'y at the ICA on the corner of Goswell and Old Streets, right by my workplace, and I had mates at the the London College of Furniture (luthiery and other musical stuff).

I have to concur on the ESB. Pride or Directors for me - but I ran a bar with Roddy Neame at Bart's - so their beers were my favourites, from force of habit and familiarity.....

How goes the no-smoking.

Should be easing a little by now. (8 years on and I STILL like to stand where the smoke is blowing).

The bottles and cans are great but you can't beat it draft.

If you are ever in London' date=' the best pint of London Pride,without doubt, can be found at The Artillery Arms in Bunhill Row, near to The Honourable Artillery Company, just north of the City of London. I used to work nearby and spent many a lunchtime there. Best Pride you can buy. Currently about £2.80/pint.

Until a few years ago, The Artillery Arms had a Bona Friday Club and to join you had to drink 3 pints of ESB on 3 consecutive fridays, and 5 pints on the 4th friday. They have their own tie and still have a xmas lunch in the pub every year.

I'm not a member - ESB is not a session beer for me - far too strong but tastes great![/quote']

I hate you guys! Most of our bars have the standard Anheuser-Busch selections on tap and little else. There is only one specialty shop I know of that carries the Fuller's in the bottle. Guess I need to hop the pond!

Albertjohn - I used to pop in to the 'Tillery maybe once a month or so from '70 to '87 - usually using a trip to RS Components off Old Street as an excuse..... I was doing Med Research engineering at Bart's and the (then) missus was a sec'y at the ICA on the corner of Goswell and Old Streets' date=' right by my workplace, and I had mates at the the London College of Furniture (luthiery and other musical stuff).

I have to concur on the ESB. Pride or Directors for me - but I ran a bar with Roddy Neame at Bart's - so [i']their[/i] beers were my favourites, from force of habit and familiarity.....

How goes the no-smoking.

Should be easing a little by now. (8 years on and I STILL like to stand where the smoke is blowing).

It's a small world Nik. Fond memories of sharing a few pints with several other (Butch) Chartered Accountants watching England lose test matches! Signed up a fair few clients that way too, so it wasn't all fun!

So, since Denmark St is a bit of a wash out these days we should have the inaugral UK Homecoming in The Artillery - or The Pride Shop as it is known to me! They used to have an old pup piano in there which was used occasionally so we could probably have a bit of an open mike sesh.

What say you Gentlefolk of Britain?

Smoking (or lack of it) is going very well thanks. It's been 1 month and 9 days since my last roll-up. Constant dreams of smoking though, which is to be expected as you previously warned me.

I hate you guys! Most of our bars have the standard Anheuser-Busch selections on tap and little else. There is only one specialty shop I know of that carries the Fuller's in the bottle. Guess I need to hop the pond!

Surfpup' date=' if you make it over one day, let me know. There's quite a few of us from the Acoustic side (but not exclusively) who'd welcome the chance to point you guys in the right direction in London and put the world to right over a few pints of Pride.

The draft Pride does not, in my experience, travel well, even the 50 miles to my local. It's not the same. So I'm not surprised you don't get it over there. Like I said, the bottles and cans are very good though.

Here is said Pride Shop:

[img']http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p373/walterpij/theprideshop.jpg[/img]

Woo - looks cleaner than I remember. Bunhill Cemetary - wierd place with some fascinating tombstones.....

Thomas Bayes, statistician - Bayesian is him.....

William Blake, painter, engraver, poet, mystic and all round cool person.....

John Bunyan, author of Pilgrim's Progress and a shed load about grace.....

Thomas Rosewell, nonconformist minister and alien harbourer.....

Thomas Fowell Buxton, anti-slavery and philanthropic water magnate.....

Eleanor Coade, stone-maker and no relation to Buffalo Bill.....

Cromwells, may or may not be THE Cromwells, but unpopular just the same.....

Daniel Defoe, wrote loads of pamphlets, Moll Flanders and some other stuff.....

George Fox, porridge magnate - or quaker, or something.....

John Gill, confused by his name, he took religion - the father of Baptist hyper-Calvinism (what).....

Joseph Hart, wrote hymns and stuff, another Calvinist (they get everywhere).....

Theophilus Lindsey, a founder of Unitarianism as against the triple thingy belief.....

Joseph Nightingale, wrote 'a guide to the watering places' which was a religious work, not a pub guide.....

John Owen, awesome guy who did just about everything going back in the day.....

Dame Mary Page, they drained some 240 imperial gallons of fluids from this lady.....

Richard Price, founder of life insurance - died uninsured.....

Thomas Pringle, the scotsman who abolished slaves and gave the world pringles crisps instead.....

John Rippon, if you bother God at all - you'll have sung a hymn by this guy.....

Isaac Watts, and this guys hymns too, probably (Oh God, our help in ages past - one of his).....

Susanna Wesley, mother of John Wesley, he rode a lot and preached a lot too.....

Surfpup' date=' if you make it over one day, let me know. There's quite a few of us from the Acoustic side (but not exclusively) who'd welcome the chance to point you guys in the right direction in London and put the world to right over a few pints of Pride. [/quote']

A most hospitable offer. Thank you! Hope to make it over soon.

Archived