Gibson Brands Forums

Shiny guitars - nitro finish, poly finish

Thundergod

At the risk of getting thrown out of here by our Twilight loving mod I'll say sometimes I wish Gibson made guitars with poly finish.

With the guitars I have that have that finish, I can play with no worries but with nitro finished guitars I always worry something's gonna happen. Is it just me or do poly finished guitars look like they could withstand a lot more punishment? I treat my guitars right and care for them, try not to hit them with anything but you know things happen and with nitro finished guitars I always worry a little too much.

Also, the shiny finish on a nitro-guitar doesn't last as much, or does it? And it never is as shiny as a poly finish.

Discus

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on which polish you use my friend. I rather have a nitro guitar then a poly guitar, feels nicer on the hands if you ask me. Also you gotta love the fact that with nitro guitars the finsh on the guitar might change over the years, gotta love a aged white guitar. Oh and tone!

I have a 1966 vintage Gibson acoustic with mostly the original nitro finish. It is checked and crazed in places for reasons I don't want to know but the gloss is still there. Regardless of all the dings and scratches it is still beautiful. The top has a poorly done refinish that is not and it looks very ragged. I don't know what type of finish it is and it seems to be a pretty amateurish job admittedly but the nitro has held up all things considered.

That's one of my points, I prefer if my guitars look the same in ten years as they do when I take them out of the box. [thumbup]

Same here. That doesn't seem to be the norm though.. people seem to like discolored and checked finishes. I don't get it.

Same here. That doesn't seem to be the norm though.. people seem to like discolored and cracked finishes. I don't get it.

Because some people like to see things used, why keep things the same? I'm American god dammnit and i want change!

I never even gave a thought or care as to what type of lacquer was on my guitars until I joined the Epi forum in 2008 [confused] ......I didn't know how to decode a serial number, or even care to..... I called my Gibby SG the 1974 SG, and didn't know the model until somebody told me what it was SG200....

Sometimes I just think we have a tendency to second guess ourselves for no reason..... Or maybe we just do it to have something to stumble over on forums [confused]

Nitro finishes suck, because they ding easily. Polyurethane finishes are two part, cross-linked coatings that develop excellent impact and scratch resistance and better gloss. They are also applied with thicker films and don't usually develop checking issues. But NC lacquers breathe better and allow the wood to vibrate more freely. They say you sacrifice tone with polyurethane finishes, but I don't know. I like a urethane finish better, and I like the tone of the guitars I have with polyurethane coatings.

I guess I'm pretty much with Duane V. When I've been guitar shopping in the past - pre Internet for sure - it was a matter of did the guitar feel good and would it do what I felt that I needed at the time. Darned if I could tell you what finish I have on any of my guitars except two relatively recent Epis. ("Recent" means anything less than 20 years to me, btw.)

You can probably make a case for almost any kind of finish, I think. I did have a disaster ages ago with the anti-mosquito goop "Off," that also took "Off" the finish on a classical guitar I had at the time. Totally liquified any bit of finish my arm touched. I don't know if it would do that to a nitro or poly finish, or a an enamel paint, but I'm not gonna try to find out.

I note that a lot of guitar companies have gone to polys on even pretty high end instruments. In the olden days various varnishes were used that might seem a bit heavy, but... who would I be to tell Mr. Strad he shouldn't have used 'em. A lot of 50s-60s solid body imports had finishes that I figured was some variation of paint they could get cheaply. But I don't know what, if any, effect that had on the board.

I think perhaps it's a "pay your money and take your choice." I'll admit I'm kinda like T-G in that I like my guitars, even the 35 to 40-year-olds to look as new as possible. So... if you see 'em, just kinda ignore the layer of crud where I seldom touch 'em and don't tell me I really shoulda done a bit of cleaning... <grin>

m

Anyone own a new PRS with the V12 finish? This is what PRS says about it:

Finish should enhance the look, sound, and feel of a guitar by accentuating the wood’s inherent beauty and feel without hindering its natural resonance. And PRS Guitars’ new “V12” finish does just that. Introduced at Experience PRS 2010, “V12” is a very thin, hard, and clear finish that will not crack or react with thinners. After roughly 12 years in development, it is halfway between acrylic and nitro but with a classic feel all its own. “PRS models with this new finish feel like old instruments,” said Paul Reed Smith.

Sounds interesting to me...

I don't really care - or, in some cases, even know - what finish a guitar has. I'm not bothered if it looks brand new in 2 years time let alone ten. Nor am I much fussed if they pick up some accidental dents and nicks.

I don't know if Nitro-finished solid-bodies sound better than had they been finished with poly. I doubt it makes a discernible difference to the amplified sound but I could well be wrong.

Only one of my LPs is checking; and it's checking like crazy. Apparently the Historic Division were experimenting with different formulations of Nitro during the period '94 - '97. Clearly the compound used on mine wasn't deemed to have been a success...

The poly finish on my MIM Strat is mirror-smooth and faultless. Time will tell if it's bomb-proof as others have suggested.

P.

Finish Sminish, so long as it plays and looks good (assuming it's brand new, is it's used it just has to play good).

I will say I don't like satin finishes, they pick up fingerprints and smudges like mad. But I hear you can polish them to a shiny finish. Could be urban legend, though.

Archived