Gibson Brands Forums

Baked maple Les Paul video test

awel

Good test by Capn Lee and Chappers, the baked maple definately sounds brighter than the rosewood fretboard. I do like the black Classic custom.

If baked maple fretboards are currently used on Suhr guitars then they can't be bad!

I am thinking the same. I think when something is new, that's always a little bit scary :)

Awel, great post and thread.........Thanks....I'm sold on the baked maple, and have been since member C.B. approved of them.....

I'm also sold on Gibson's new Classic Customs....Gotta get me one..........Gibson really sometimes gets it really right......[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .........

Awel, great post and thread.........Thanks....I'm sold on the baked maple, and have been since member C.B. approved of them.....

I'm also sold on Gibson's new Classic Customs....Gotta get me one..........Gibson really sometimes gets it really right......[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .........

You're welcome my friend [thumbup]

This type of demo is exactly what I have been looking for regarding the Classic Custom. Thank you for posting.

I think here is one mistake in the video. The dude on the left says the Classic Custom is chambered. I think it is weight relieved, not chambered.

The Classic Custom is chambered, there's no way all that bright sound is from a baked Maple fingerboard alone!

Really like the sound of both & the price of the C.C. is outstanding for Gibson!

A better A/B comparison would have been to throw some 57's in a Standard.

The Classic Custom is chambered, there's no way all that bright sound is from a baked Maple fingerboard alone!

Really like the sound of both & the price of the C.C. is outstanding for Gibson!

A better A/B comparison would have been to throw some 57's in a Standard.

Specs on gibson site says Traditional Weight Relief,

Gibson say's,

As with the best Les Pauls crafted since the early '50s, the Les Paul Classic Custom starts with the legendary tonewood pairing of a solid carved maple top glued to a mahogany body, strategically chambered to enhance resonance and reduce weight. Marrying maple's clarity and definition to mahogany's richness and depth produces a tonal complexity that no single-wood guitar has ever matched. Its resonance and sustain are only further enhanced by the deep-set quarter-sawn mahogany neck with 17-degree back-angled headstock. Optimum playability is ensured by a slim, comfortable neck profile that measures .800" at the 1st fret and .875" at the 12th. The guitar's 22-fret fingerboard is made from Baked Maple, a heat-treated hardwood that offers a clear tone and extreme durability, and inlaid with acrylic block markers, enhanced by a mother of pearl Gibson headstock logo and acrylic split-diamond inlay.

Anderton's advert,

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid22381/cid671/gibson-les-paul-classic-custom-in-antique-natural.asp

Confusing information on Gibson's website. Under the general description it says "strategically chambered", but under the specs it says "traditional weight relief".

The Custom Classics are coming from the factory weighing between 9 and 10 pounds according to Sweetwater's website.

Confusing information on Gibson's website. Under the general description it says "strategically chambered", but under the specs it says "traditional weight relief".

The Custom Classics are coming from the factory weighing between 9 and 10 pounds according to Sweetwater's website.

That's about normal weight for a custom... My 2007 custom weighs in at about 10Lbs and it's weight relieved...

Wow so many people have changed their tune. The other day people were saying how much they didnt like baked maple and now everyone loves it [mellow]

That's typical of a Gibson customer, changing a fingerboard to a different wood is just not welcomed until it is seen that other woods actually work for fingerboard use.

Baked maple has been around for a while, I think more folks are resisting Obeche more than anything, maybe after they actually play a guitar or see a review they may change their mind, or not.

That's typical of a Gibson customer, changing a fingerboard to a different wood is just not welcomed until it is seen that other woods actually work for fingerboard use.

Baked maple has been around for a while, I think more folks are resisting Obeche more than anything, maybe after they actually play a guitar or see a review they may change their mind, or not.

Yeah, think your right. We need a new saying now. Erm...Dont judge a guitar by its fingerboard

I Love the demo's those two English blokes do! They always have

great fun, and do very informative demo's, as well.

Having just purchased (2 weeks ago) a "Classic Custom" (Gold-Top)

I can confirm all their findings! Awesome sounding (a bit brighter

and/or edgier than Rosewood), which to me, is especially desireable,

in "Hi Gain" situations, or a bit less mud, and more definition, both

in single note leads, and chords, as well. The Baked Maple, does have

a great feel, and playability, and (as "Captain" mentioned) it does seem

to "break in," much faster IMHO, as well. Of course, I still love the

Rosewood boards, on the guitars I have already, but there's nothing to

"fear," with the Baked Maple. [thumbup]

CB

i just had a thought, is the baked maple only applied to the fingerboard? if so then how can a thin peice of wood like that have such an effect on tone? i mean the strings don't touch the wood for starters!, to me it like saying the tone differs wether you have a gold or silver gibson logo?...just my 2 pennys worth [rolleyes]

i just had a thought, is the baked maple only applied to the fingerboard? if so then how can a thin peice of wood like that have such an effect on tone? i mean the strings don't touch the wood for starters!, to me it like saying the tone differs wether you have a gold or silver gibson logo?...just my 2 pennys worth [rolleyes]

Isnt it to do with the resonation of the frets in the board and frequencies or something like that?

It does make a difference. Have you ever played a Strat or Telecaster, with a maple board, compared

to one, with a Rosewood board? The maple board versions Are "brighter" sounding. Same sort of

thing, with the baked maple, on Gibson's (and other brands). It's NOT just in one's mind. But, if one can't

hear the difference, then it really doesn't matter, except for "feel," which board you use. [biggrin]

CB

It does make a difference. Have you ever played a Strat or Telecaster, with a maple board, compared

to one, with a Rosewood board? The maple board versions Are "brighter" sounding. Same sort of

thing, with the baked maple, on Gibson's (and other brands). It's NOT just in one's mind. But, if one can't

hear the difference, then it really doesn't matter, except for "feel," which board you use. [biggrin]

CB

i had a maple necked strat (see vids) and have played a rosewood strat but all sounded the same to me :unsure:, although i didn't play them through the same rig so it would be hard to tell if there was a difference...CB i wasn't saying that it wouldn't affect the tone, i just had a thought, i'll take your word on it until i can realy try the necks out myself B)

Archived