Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Classic 1960 Model

daveinspain

Took my Les Paul Classic to band rehearsal last night, first time in a long time. Sounded great! I forgot how chunky those ceramic pickups sound, great feeling neck too... This was my first Les Paul and I knew nothing about guitars when I bought it,

I just loved the way it looked and Jimmy Page played one that looked like it... :rolleyes:

Anyway, just just fell back in love with it...

It's always interesting (to me, anyway) how diverse the notion of "Les Paul tone," is. [biggrin]

I too, have a 1960 designated LP Classic, which had the hot ceramic pickups. I was never really

satisfied, with the sound of them, but thought my memory of "that Les Paul Sound," had just faded,

or something. I couldn't really get the tone, that I remembered, from owning a Les Paul, in my youth.

After doing some reading, and talking about this, to my friends at my dealers, I asked them to swap

out the ceramic's, for Classic '57, and '57 Plus, pickups! I got it home, plugged it in, and I was

somewhat "stunned," at the difference, in tone. "That tone," was there, finally! I would never dare

to say, that "The Les Paul Tone," is any particular pickup, but the LP Tone "I" remembered, and love,

was only obtained, when I changed to the '57's. Everything else, in my "rig," was as before. So, in

MY case, it was the pickups. [thumbup] It's now very difficult for me to put that guitar down, when

before, I had almost quit playing it. The pickups, and a decent fret dressing, has brought it back,

to the forefront, for me.

DSC_0024.jpg

CB

Took my Les Paul Classic to band rehearsal last night, first time in a long time. Sounded great! I forgot how chunky those ceramic pickups sound, great feeling neck too... This was my first Les Paul and I knew nothing about guitars when I bought it,

I just loved the way it looked and Jimmy Page played one that looked like it... :rolleyes:

Anyway, just just fell back in love with it...

I have a 1999 LP Classic 1960, black with aged Ivory binding, pic below:

1960LPClassic.jpg

It's one of 5 LP's that I have. The other 4 are custom shops and have '57 pickups. Each one has its own playing and tonal personality but the Classic plays perhaps the best of all of them. The ceramic pickups are really hot, not great for every sound situation but good enough for most. The previous owner called it his "Bad Company" guitar. The finish is so shiny that it's almost impossible to get a good photo without reflections. If only it wasn't so heavy.

It's always interesting (to me, anyway) how diverse the notion of "Les Paul tone," is. [biggrin]

I too, have a 1960 designated LP Classic, which had the hot ceramic pickups. I was never really

satisfied, with the sound of them, but thought my memory of "that Les Paul Sound," had just faded,

or something. I couldn't really get the tone, that I remembered, from owning a Les Paul, in my youth.

After doing some reading, and talking about this, to my friends at my dealers, I asked them to swap

out the ceramic's, for Classic '57, and '57 Plus, pickups! I got it home, plugged it in, and I was

somewhat "stunned," at the difference, in tone. "That tone," was there, finally! I would never dare

to say, that "The Les Paul Tone," is any particular pickup, but the LP Tone "I" remembered, and love,

was only obtained, when I changed to the '57's. Everything else, in my "rig," was as before. So, in

MY case, it was the pickups. [thumbup] It's now very difficult for me to put that guitar down, when

before, I had almost quit playing it. The pickups, and a decent fret dressing, has brought it back,

to the forefront, for me.

CB

I found myself less than impressed with the amplified tone from one of my Classics which had had circuit-alterations and I experienced a similar transformation when I put in a pair of 'Grey Tigers' instead of whatever the previous owner had used to muddy the waters.

My all-time favourite p-ups are the '57 reps in my re-issues but occasionally it's wonderful to let the hooligan element within me have it's share of fun and for that time, the ceramics are a pure Hedonistic pleasure!

I can see this turning into a '1960 Classic' love-in!

OK, post them if you've got them, folks!!!

Continuing on from CB and JO'C's lead here are the usual snaps of mine;

The aforementioned 1991 VSB 'plain-top' 1960 Classic, AKA 'Treacle'. Stock with nickel p-up covers;

Treaclemed.jpg

My 1995 HSB 1960 Classic in HSB with Premium-Plus top, 'Honey' fitted with the 'Grey Tiger' caps and a matched set of hand-signed SD 'Antiquities';

Honeymed.jpg

P.

I found myself less than impressed with the amplified tone from one of my Classics which had had circuit-alterations and I experienced a similar transformation when I put in a pair of 'Grey Tigers' instead of whatever the previous owner had used to muddy the waters.

My all-time favourite p-ups are the '57 reps in my re-issues but occasionally it's wonderful to let the hooligan element within me have it's share of fun and for that time, the ceramics are a pure Hedonistic pleasure!

I can see this turning into a '1960 Classic' love-in!

OK, post them if you've got them, folks!!!

Continuing on from CB and JO'C's lead here are the usual snaps of mine;

The aforementioned 1991 VSB 'plain-top' 1960 Classic, AKA 'Treacle'. Stock with nickel p-up covers;

Treaclemed.jpg

My 1995 HSB 1960 Classic in HSB with Premium-Plus top, 'Honey' fitted with the 'Grey Tiger' caps and a matched set of hand-signed SD 'Antiquities';

Honeymed.jpg

P.

Lovely "Classic's" as always, Pippy! [biggrin]

CB

• 2 weeks later...

Did someone say post pics?? Just happen to have some, my 2007 1960s Les Paul Classic plain top cherry burst... [biggrin]

CIMG1512_1-1.jpg

CIMG1509_1-1.jpg

2007LPClassic.jpg

Nice, my 2008 Classic looks a lot like yours. It's funny, not too long ago people here were talking about the Classics like red-headed step children.

Mineses is a 2000 Classic Plus. Never heard it with the stockers in it, put 57 Classics in it when I got it home. Crappy picture. Love that guitar, best Les Paul in my life, and that's been a bunch of them.

mytv.gif

rct

Archived