Gibson Brands Forums

Fuller's New ACoustic Line

JuanCarlosVejar

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are wonderful guitars, but honestly I don't think the recording does them justice.

Too primitive – too sharp – doesn't capture the depths and finer nuances of the instruments at all.

You can hear it in his voice. Okay maybe he hasn't the most pleasant talking-tone in this world, but it's decent. In the clip it is squeezed to somewhere semi-nasal and metallic.

Come again Fullers. . . .

I enjoyed that JuanCarlos.

Man Gibson acoustics are phenomenal. I played mine all day. Merry Christmas.

My favorite was what was titled a 1943 SJ (but he said 42 and he also kept saying again, again....I think he was just nervous). Rosewood. What a sound, even with a youtube reproduction.

Thanks again.

Cheers and happy holidays.

Hello and thank you for choosing Fuller's Guitar. We are currently working with Gibson to get our Gibson inventory back online.

One day, they will have their inventory back on line so we can all see those wonderful Gibsons - even may be buy one!

They have been 'working' with Gibson for over a year now. It must be hard work!!

Fuller's is a long stone's throw from the house and it's chock full of those silly righthanded Gibson acoustic guitars........dammit!

I've been to Fuller's once — what a place! Well worth a visit for any Gibson fan.

Buc, you might not have found your Hummingbird there, but wherever it was that you found it you surely must be appreciative of. Even in the diminished glory of audio over the web, I think yours is one of the best sounding 'birds I've heard. Simply an incredible sounding guitar that seemingly works perfectly for your needs.

......so you can go for a strum if there is any for people like us :D

Well sure.......I could "test strum" one of those for you.......if they build them left handed and you're looking to buy one.

Buc, you might not have found your Hummingbird there, but wherever it was that you found it you surely must be appreciative of. Even in the diminished glory of audio over the web, I think yours is one of the best sounding 'birds I've heard. Simply an incredible sounding guitar that seemingly works perfectly for your needs.

Thank you, Guth. It's the best "player" I've ever owned, and there have been many, many before this one. It does sound very good to my ear. I've been playing with the capo in search of a key and, even choked up, the quality of the tone holds up very well. And the mahogany doesn't "fart out" and get mushy when driven hard. Happy to have found this one, for sure.

These are wonderful guitars, but honestly I don't think the recording does them justice.

Too primitive – too sharp – doesn't capture the depths and finer nuances of the instruments at all.

You can hear it in his voice. Okay maybe he hasn't the most pleasant talking-tone in this world, but it's decent. In the clip it is squeezed to somewhere semi-nasal and metallic.

! agree 100%!!

Come on Fullers, you gotta get a decent mic on these guitars!!!! No point in uploading them in HD on youtube if the recording sucks!!!

[thumbdn]

I agree on this also. but I really like the sound that was captured when he finger picked the guitars !.

strummed they didn't sound so great .

Well sure.......I could "test strum" one of those for you.......if they build them left handed and you're looking to buy one.

Thank you, Guth. It's the best "player" I've ever owned, and there have been many, many before this one. It does sound very good to my ear. I've been playing with the capo in search of a key and, even choked up, the quality of the tone holds up very well. And the mahogany doesn't "fart out" and get mushy when driven hard. Happy to have found this one, for sure.

I absolutely hate it when my mahogany "farts out" [cursing]

! agree 100%!!

Come on Fullers, you gotta get a decent mic on these guitars!!!! No point in uploading them in HD on youtube if the recording sucks!!!

[thumbdn]

Agreed, there are plenty fine microphones at good prices.

Also, he should handle the guitars in manner, as if they were fine instruments owned by another. I couldn't have been the only one cringing a bit.

Agreed, there are plenty fine microphones at good prices.

Also, he should handle the guitars in manner, as if they were fine instruments owned by another. I couldn't have been the only one cringing a bit.

I thought the same thing Danner. Kind of a careless way of leaning them on a stone wall....PLUS...He was wearing a freaken western shirt with all those snaps and buttons! Seems like I heard them (snaps & buttons) 'nicking' on the guitar when he was "jockeying" these 'wooden jewels'... :rolleyes:

Not to be to nitpicky, but the pickguards on the SJs are all WRONG!! The RW SJ should not have the pickguard covering all the rings of the rosette. Cmon Gibson pay attention to the details.

Best I can tell, ever since the move to Bozeman, historical accuracy in this area is obviously not of importance to Gibson for many models. The placement of the teardrop-shaped guards in particular is truly disappointing as they were clearly designed with a radius indicating they should appear clear of the smaller, inner rosette rings and not cover them up. On other models with the larger pickguards (such as the Hummingbird, J185, J200, etc.) this does not appear to be an issue as the guards were designed for placement right next to the sound hole.

Best I can tell, ever since the move to Bozeman, historical accuracy in this area is obviously not of importance to Gibson for many models. The placement of the teardrop-shaped guards in particular is truly disappointing as they were clearly designed with a radius indicating they should appear clear of the smaller, inner rosette rings and not cover them up. On other models with the larger pickguards (such as the Hummingbird, J185, J200, etc.) this does not appear to be an issue as the guards were designed for placement right next to the sound hole.

If you look carefully at all the current Gibson flat-top models, the placement of the pickguards relative to the soundhole and rosette seems to lack rhyme or reason. On one or more versions of most models, the guard is hard up against the soundhole. On others, presumably those seeking to be more historically accurate, they are just below the innermost rosette ring.

I personally find it just looks wrong to have the guard hard up against the soundhole. I assume they do this to minimize the traditional pick damage to the wood below the soundhole, but it really doesn't look right if you are used to vintage Gibsons. Picked-away finish below the soundhole is the sign of a well-played Gibson.

I have removed the pickguard and trimmed the radius on three different Montana reissues I've owned.

Have they actually changed the soundhole radius on these "modern" pickguards (making the pickguards wider), or are they simply moving them up higher on the guitar?

I once spoke to Ren Ferguson about the seemily inaccurate "reissues" and why they do not correspond to the original specs. He told me Gibson doesn't own any of the original guitars from the eras in which they are making reissues. SAY WHAT??!! For example, he told me the scale length on the 90s Robert Johnson L-1 reissue is 25" instead of 24 1/4" because George Gruhn told them that what it should be. He did say they got some vintage J-200s, which gave them a chance to copy the specs exactly for the Super Jumbo reissues, but did not indicate that the Jumbos, AJs, SJs, etc. where copied from the originals. This would certainly explain the pickguard problems. What a shame.

Archived