Gibson Brands Forums

Out of Production?

Supersonic

I was looking around on the Epi site today and I noticed that they are apparently discontinuing quite a few guitars. The ones that stuck out to me were the EJ-200, the Korina 58 Explorer and Flying V, the 3 pickup G-400 Custom, the G-1275 double neck custom, the Valensi Riviera, and the ES-175. Some of these models are quite popular and none are "Limited Editions" so I wonder why they would be discontinuing all of these? What up with that?? [confused]

Here is the page: http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Out-of-Production.aspx?Page=1

Super!!!

How ya been there, my friend.....Hope all is well.

Anyway, yup, noticed the same thing. Since I can't afford any more guits right now I didn't think much about it.

Now that you mention it....

Gibson does seem to be going through some changes. It's got to effect Epiphone.

I do see some higher end Epis coming on to the market. I think they still might need to work out a few bugs.

Some of the disappearances do seem strange, but then I'm not one of their "bean counters".

Will be interesting to see what happens over the next few months.

Willy

Super!!!

How ya been there, my friend.....Hope all is well.

Anyway, yup, noticed the same thing. Since I can't afford any more guits right now I didn't think much about it.

Now that you mention it....

Gibson does seem to be going through some changes. It's got to effect Epiphone.

I do see some higher end Epis coming on to the market. I think they still might need to work out a few bugs.

Some of the disappearances do seem strange, but then I'm not one of there "bean counters".

Will be interesting to see what happens over the next few months.

Willy

I'm doin' good Willy, thanks for asking. I've had a horrible case of bronchitis, but I think I'm finally over it now.

I agree, it should definitely be interesting to see what other changes are in store in the near future.

I also noticed that they discontinued ALL of the Masterbilt acoustics except for 2 acoustic-electric cutaway models! [scared]

Just a guess but I would speculate that the market has been satisfied/saturated for these models.

I was looking around on the Epi site today and I noticed that they are apparently discontinuing quite a few guitars. The ones that stuck out to me were the EJ-200, the Korina 58 Explorer and Flying V, the 3 pickup G-400 Custom, the G-1275 double neck custom, the Valensi Riviera, and the ES-175. Some of these models are quite popular and none are "Limited Editions" so I wonder why they would be discontinuing all of these? What up with that?? [confused]

Here is the page: http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Out-of-Production.aspx?Page=1

Just a guess but I would speculate that the market has been satisfied/saturated for these models.

An interesting idea, but I thought I'd caught a good bit of Valensi Riv luv around here lately, though. Surprised by the Explorer and V. Wonder if the natural wood is too classic looking for the natural constituency for these guitars--not gothy/metally/thrashy looking enough.

lefty dot out of production? it better be replaced with something like the 335 Pro...

more shortsighted decision making from epiphone...especially insulting to lefties, given that much of epiphone's popularity and reputation is due to a left-handed guitarist

Wow, can't believe to see that the EJ-200 is being discontinued. Sad. Very glad I happened across this thread. This has been my dream guitar, especially in black. I was planning to buy this guitar AFTER I bought an EJ-200 Artist(cheaper) to learn on, then buy the more expensive EJ. Now readin(& seeing) that it's no longer in production, I might hafta flip my original order of things. This EJ is still in stock on musiciansfriend.com, as soon as I can snatch up $400 I'm jumping on this guitar.

An interesting idea, but I thought I'd caught a good bit of Valensi Riv luv around here lately, though. Surprised by the Explorer and V. Wonder if the natural wood is too classic looking for the natural constituency for these guitars--not gothy/metally/thrashy looking enough.

Lori's Valensi is a made in Korea Riviera,... this could be a continuing trend to shift more of the production to China. On a side note,.. it'll be interesting to see where the next shipment of natural Sheratons come from at Sweetwater. They had 4 MIK Sherrys around the holidays,... all sold now.

All Nick V Rivieras I've seen have been made in Korea, never in China

True, except for the original Elitist models (natural & sunburst) made in Japan.

The Korean Valensi represents one of Epiphone's best values, imho. Gibson P94s combined with a very high build quality. Get one if you can, but only if you like skinny necks!

I notice that the Firebird Studio is no longer at the Epiphone website, either (well, it is, if you use the search box - but they have removed the link to it from the website, itself.) So I guess that's another model that's been retired.

Which is fine by me, because I really want Epiphone to build a proper Firebird...

...for no better reason than, although I usually scorn signature editions and artist associations when buying guitars, I want one like Brian's. Reverse or non-reverse would be equally acceptable.

Brian_Jones_Stones_NRFirebird.jpg

Stoned_Andrew_Loog_Oldham_THE_ROLLING_STONES_brian_jones_psychedelic_rocknroll_gibson_firebird_hollywood_1965.jpg

OK, so I was half-joking about that. But with plenty of Les Pauls and SGs in their line-up, I really think Epiphone should go ahead and do the Firebird justice. Even another run of the Epiphone Firebird VII from 10 or so years ago would be welcome! (Although not those crappy, bolt-on Firebird Vs Epiphone made in the 1990s).

Really not sure how to take the Epiphone/Gibson product line. After all a lot of those out of production will still be available somewhere. Also seen guitars available (certainly in the UK where I am) that I haven't seen on the website...Epiphone SG G400 Pelham Blue with Maestro, I know it's limited edition, but still never remember seeing it advertised, yet regulary available.

Not sure why the discontinuation of a couple of lefty models though.

Hopefully a sign of new models to come.

It would be a pity if they dropped the G-400 Custom,it`s a spectacular guitar and the 1275 is the only affordable alternative to the Gibson model. I fully agree with Lord Summerisle,a proper neck-through-body Firebird VII like my hero Brian`s would be welcomed with a fanfare,of even if they just did a set neck.I have an `06 CS MIK Firebird V with a set neck and there is no comparison,the set neck Firebird sounds like a mid 60s SG.One day I was playing my Firebird through my Vox AD-120 set on AC-30 and nailed the tone of Paperback Writer,needless to say I was blown away.

Archived