Gibson Brands Forums

Songs that are difficult or seemingly impossible to cover

provny

I was listening to Dire Straits/Mark Knofler performing "Brothers In Arms" (then failing miserably at trying to play and sing it myself) and thinking there is something magical and somehow "right" about that song that I'm not sure anyone else could approximate, even with their own arrangement of it or trying to copy the original. (Maybe I'm wrong about that though...)

Maybe I feel this way mainly because I'm still very much a beginner guitarist, and don't know or recognize ways to make most any song "work" when I try to play it...

Can you think of other songs that seemingly can't be covered well by anyone else-- or have you yet to find such a song (of which only one performer can do it justice)?

I was listening to Dire Straits/Mark Knofler performing "Brothers In Arms" (then failing miserably at trying to play and sing it myself) and thinking there is something magical and somehow "right" about that song that I'm not sure anyone else could approximate, even with their own arrangement of it or trying to copy the original. (Maybe I'm wrong about that though...)

Maybe I feel this way mainly because I'm still very much a beginner guitarist, and don't know or recognize ways to make most any song "work" when I try to play it...

Can you think of other songs that seemingly can't be covered well by anyone else-- or have you yet to find such a song (of which only one performer can do it justice)?

That's true of every song I have trouble learning!

I've been working on SRV's "Life By The Drop", and while I can hit all the notes in the intro....it just doesn't SOUND right!

I think most any song can be covered adequately by a number of people. Personally, there are a lot of songs I don't think I do a decent job on, BUT, I hear others do a nice job on them. I don't think anyone can do What A Wonderful World like Louie Armstrong, but I've heard some cool rendtions of it. And I agree, folks like Cash often did a rendition that others pale beside, but, others can still do a good version of the song. I've found that part of the difficulty in covering a song is that we find ourselves attempting to sing it in the key we sung it to countless times as we listened on the radio, and that may not be the key you or I can best sing it in. I can't sing Runaway in the key Del Shannon sang it in and I certainly can't hit the falsetto part, but I can still do a good version of it in the key of A. Actually, any rendition of any song that I do likely pales compared to the original. But, when I do I Walk The Line, folks know I'm not Cash, etc. and are not expecting me to be...I guess the bottom line is "don't sell yourself short." Cash said "you've got to be who you've got to be." You and I have to be who we are. We are not Cash, Dylan, Emmylou, Bono, etc.

I think most any song can be covered adequately by a number of people. Personally, there are a lot of songs I don't think I do a decent job on, BUT, I hear others do a nice job on them. I don't think anyone can do What A Wonderful World like Louie Armstrong, but I've heard some cool rendtions of it. And I agree, folks like Cash often did a rendition that others pale beside, but, others can still do a good version of the song. I've found that part of the difficulty in covering a song is that we find ourselves attempting to sing it in the key we sung it to countless times as we listened on the radio, and that may not be the key you or I can best sing it in. I can't sing Runaway in the key Del Shannon sang it in and I certainly can't hit the falsetto part, but I can still do a good version of it in the key of A. Actually, any rendition of any song that I do likely pales compared to the original. But, when I do I Walk The Line, folks know I'm not Cash, etc. and are not expecting me to be...I guess the bottom line is "don't sell yourself short." Cash said "you've got to be who you've got to be." You and I have to be who we are. We are not Cash, Dylan, Emmylou, Bono, etc.

Larry.... I used to do Runnaway...(in A)...but, like you, I suspect my marbles would be rolling around the floor if I tried to hit the high notes today!

Some songs I really enjoy playing but I'm aware that if for some reason I was asked to play for people or on an album (ha!) I couldn't cover them because I feel that I have nothing personal I could add to the song to make it truer... If any of that makes sense.

Some songs I really enjoy playing but I'm aware that if for some reason I was asked to play for people or on an album (ha!) I couldn't cover them because I feel that I have nothing personal I could add to the song to make it truer... If any of that makes sense.

That is kinda how alot of us felt about the Beatles catalog back in the mid-1960s.

Larry.... I used to do Runnaway...(in A)...but, like you, I suspect my marbles would be rolling around the floor if I tried to hit the high notes today!

Just let one of your pugs give you a little nip in the right place, and you'll give Del Shannon a run for his money on the high parts!

I remember the first time I heard that song. 1961. Freshman year in high school. Pool party, Scottsdale, Arizona. But I can also remember the first time I heard Dylan, the first time I heard the Beatles, and a bunch of other strange things.

Music trigger memories in amazing ways....... which would be another thread......

Just let one of your pugs give you a little nip in the right place, and you'll give Del Shannon a run for his money on the high parts!

I remember the first time I heard that song. 1961. Freshman year in high school. Pool party, Scottsdale, Arizona. But I can also remember the first time I heard Dylan, the first time I heard the Beatles, and a bunch of other strange things.

Music trigger memories in amazing ways....... which would be another thread......

Nick.... man you hit the nail on the head there..... I remember the first time I heard the Beatles.... simply BLEW ME AWAY!

Before that I was listening to C&W, (after all...my dad controled the radio), and "Duke Of Earl" on the local AM station.....

Many songs bring up old memories....(many of which I simply cannot repeat here).

As far as figuring out songs and attuning them to a format you can make sound good in your living room, I have too much to say about this and wouldn't want to put y'all to sleep, but one of the great little gifts is when you 'accidentally' play a lick or chord progression that brings your ear to a new song. Damn, I've killed hours of time steering on to another trail after stumbling onto it. Latest example, I was practicing the newly learned 'Sailin' Shoes' when the first chord Gm7 (not the barre position) began ringing in my ear and drew me to the Paul Simon song 'Armistice Day'. My brain jumped right off the track and I can play the latter better after getting hooked for hours.

Now my kitchen still needs to be painted.

For a second ,I thought you were "bluesbreather"....same avatar.... [smile]

Nothing wrong with getting excited by pieces that stretch our abilities. Just be patient with the process.

To help the process along? Lock down the groove. No fancy picking, just get the changes down so its rock steady. Add the vocals. Then work on the lead note, or picking part. If there are now chords/positions, isolate those and go sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow til you can play in time (did I mention sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow?). R

Nothing wrong with getting excited by pieces that stretch our abilities. Just be patient with the process.

To help the process along? Lock down the groove. No fancy picking, just get the changes down so its rock steady. Add the vocals. Then work on the lead note, or picking part. If there are now chords/positions, isolate those and go sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow til you can play in time (did I mention sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow?). R

That's exactly my approach. Do the changes in slow motion, then gradually pick them up. A metronome works wonders for doing this.

Archived