Gibson Brands Forums

The Townes Van Zandt Appreciation Society (cover thread)

Deadgrateful

Willy, I had never heard Greensboro Woman before. Thanks for exposing me to it. I enjoyed listening to it, and I like the way you filmed the video. Really cool ambiance.

BBG, that was an excellent rendition of Tecumseh. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I also applaud your video editing skills. Good stuff.

Baroque thanks for the contribution. The room you recorded in had a really cool sound. It was nice to listen to your version of dollar bill blues.

Grateful, give me a week or two and I will see what I can do with Proud Mountains. Im in the process of moving and studying for midterms, plus I have a feeling the timing is gonna give me fits. I've also been thinking of giving Loretta a go. We will see.

Anybody ever thought about doing something like this with Ray Wylie Hubbard?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to join the party. Here's a quick take on "Dollar Bill Blues"...no frills version.I'm playing one of the lesser known Gibson models...a Martin OM-18V...haha sorry about that...my J-45 is in a strange tuning for something I'm working on..so I grabbed it's Martin Doppelganger. Cheers all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqpZITH1_-Q

Nice! Let's hear more from you!

(I personally didn't think that was flat, or Baroque!)

Had to dig back a few pages to find this again, and I'm glad I did! Really nice stuff here, guys--and since no one added Snowing on Raton yet, I thought I'd best jump in while I'm thinking about it.

Something about this song--don't know that I've ever played it the same way twice, so here's yet another one-off. (Good a way as any to end a long week. Annoying audio clicking is there again... sorry 'bout that.)

"Bid the years goodbye, you cannot steal them; you cannot turn the circles of the sun..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_81dYycH8A&feature=youtu.be

And Buc--you out there?? How've you managed to be a guitar player living in Texas and not dipped your toes into the TVZ ocean by now? Might be time, is all I'm sayin'...

I like all these Townes' covers. There's a lot of feeling in every one of them. I think his sad and somber approach in his writing/performing makes it a bit difficult to convey the feelings that he put in to his songs. Townes was one of those tortured souls that couldn't be anyone except for who he was. However, each of these covers is pretty-darn-good and has a Townes' feeling to it. [thumbup]

Anne, that was just beautiful. I was thinking of doing " Wreck on the Highway"...when i googled the lyrics I found that Townes didn't write it but covered it himself. So if I did it would be in mathematical terms a Townes cover(squared)...a cover of a cover...haha

Anne, that was just beautiful. I was thinking of doing " Wreck on the Highway"...when i googled the lyrics I found that Townes didn't write it but covered it himself. So if I did it would be in mathematical terms a Townes cover(squared)...a cover of a cover...haha

still counts ! stick it on here!

theres nothing else to do on this forum 'cept shove 2mm of paper under your neck join

Anne, I know it's been a few days since you posted, but I really enjoyed hearing you play and sing Snowing on Raton. I really can't think of a word to describe my thoughts on it.

This has probably become one of my favorite threads recently. I've only ever listened to TVZ Live at the Old Quarter, so I'm getting exposed to a lot more of his music and it's inspiring to say the least.

Grateful, now that I've moved and settled in, I finally had a listen to Proud Mountain, and I'm going to read through the lyrics and find out how it is I connect. I hope to have something for all of you before my spring break ends.

Gday all........Well someone had to do this one...I'm a bit buggered after a hard day at work so not much fancy pickin' here.......Pancho and Lefty......Cheers

well , that'll teach me , was gonna do that one myself last night , like you , i couldnt believe no ones done the big one yet , but i decided to cut the grass in case it rained :-)

its not raining ,and you've got in there with a great version ya bugger

good stuff john

:-D

right .... i'll go look for another . likin this thread a lot

well , that'll teach me , was gonna do that one myself last night , like you , i couldnt believe no ones done the big one yet , but i decided to cut the grass in case it rained :-)

its not raining ,and you've got in there with a great version ya bugger

good stuff john

:-D

right .... i'll go look for another . likin this thread a lot

haha...thanks BBG.....I have a limited internet amount so as I was uploading this I was hoping no bugger would beat me to it with a red hot version....I'm sure your version would have been a real good'un!..but I beat ya...Lucky I wasn't checking my intonation like Goto!!...better do that now....

Grateful, now that I've moved and settled in, I finally had a listen to Proud Mountain, and I'm going to read through the lyrics and find out how it is I connect. I hope to have something for all of you before my spring break ends.

Awesome, I'll be eagerly awaiting it! I might try and muster up the dust to try another sometime this week. Maybe 'Greensborough Woman' or perhaps 'I'll be here in the morning'.

Hi all. My first post here on the forum. I'm planning on purchasing a J45 of some type this summer and I discovered this forum while doing some research. Thanks for having me [biggrin]

This is a TVZ video I made a few months ago.

Most Excellent! Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.

Nice entries here, gentlemen--thanks for making this thread so appealing. [thumbup]

I worked up White Freightliner for open mic tonight, and it went pretty good so I thought I'd give it a run here. (Updated my webcam software but the annoying click is still there...no clue what the conflict is.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwaxREsoWqM

Keep 'em coming!

Anne, Jeff M,DeadG,Scratch.....Thanks for the great recent additions...getting a good compilation album here by the Strolling Forum Players.........here's one of the darker ones

crikey FB! that one should come with a warning ! anyone remotely sad may just get tipped over the edge . you got the emotion of that one alright.

Haha...You're right BBG, "Nothin' and "Waitin Round to Die" are pretty bleak.....but powerful pieces of work...they seldom occur on the Wiggles setlist.I reckon "Nothin'" would have been a good cover for Johnny Cash on one of those last Rick Rubin produced albums.

Archived