Gibson Brands Forums

RIP Ronnie Montrose.

AXE®

I'm too young (don't get to say that often enough) to have seen Montrose, but I did see Ronnie on a solo tour with Alan Holdsworth in the late 80s. He was in fine form. As I recall he had a young guitar player in his band at the time and he shared the solos and attention quite graciously with the guy. They had a lot of fun and so did the audience.

• 1 month later...

After somewhat of a lull in his prostate cancer battle, it did come back. Possibly that lead him into deep depression and suicide?

Regardless, a big loss.

RIP

Here's the family statement - "By now, the devastating truth of Ronnie's death is public knowledge. We hope you can understand why we wanted to keep this news a private family matter for as long as possible. We can only hope that you will choose to celebrate Ronnie's life, and what his music meant to you, rather than mourn his passing. Ronnie would have wanted it that way. He loved being a guitarist, a composer, a producer, and a creator of magic. He fully understood his gifts, and yet he constantly pushed himself to evolve, improve, and make better music. He did this for himself, and he did this for you, because he adored and appreciated his fans. Please keep his energy, his joy, and his love in your hearts."

Archived