Gibson Brands Forums

INTRODUCE YOURSELF

ksdaddy

Hi,

I'm Ethan from Crested Butte, Colorado. I gave up telemark skiing and fly fishing about nine years ago and took up running and playing the guitar. Wandered around in the Martin dreadnaught world for a bit (still have my original Santa Cruz D/PW but don't play it much)while I taught myself some things. Then I got taken in by some guys down the street who have been getting together to play every Friday night since 1974. They pretty much only write and play their own songs so I stopped trying to learn famous covers and began to learn their songs. What a treasure trove of great music these two old guys have. As wordsmiths they have few peers in my humble opinion and they are devout practitioners of the "three chords and the truth" school of guitar music. So, naturally, in order to make some kind of contribution I began to write songs too. Writing and singing my own songs led me to Gibson acoustics which led me to a 2006 J-50 (Ginger) and just last month I scored a 1997 Early J-45 (yet to get a name)via studying comments in this forum and doing some searching, but more on that later. Along the way various bouts of GAS led me to smaller bodied guitars, a Recording King RNJ-25, my maple fix, and one killer LG clone, an Eastman ET5-SS prototype, Adirondack over mahogany that is beginning to open up and become a real cannon. I also scored a Gurian JM, a 1983 if memory serves, that I sent to live with a friend in NC so that she got some humidity after gigging in super dry Colorado for most of her life and so I'd have something to play when I go to visit my old high school friend and to go to Merlefest every Spring. Got some other instruments too but after it's all said and done I'm pretty much a J45/50 guy. You all know, when you really want that bottom end nothing else cuts it like a Gibson slope shoulder dread. And when you want a guitar to back up your voice (I'm a tenor) nothing has the range of expression like a J45/50....in my personal opinion. So my J50 will become my rockabilly/rock n roll acoustic as I can plug it in when needed and I tore out all the electronics in my J45 to make her even more incredibly light (I prefer a lightly built guitar) and also to deal with a saddle issue so she is my no frills, classic Gibby now. So I'm new to the forum thing as far as setting things up and figuring things out. I'll figure it all out along the way but I'm glad to be here. I learn a lot from all of you.

Ethan - sounds like you've found a great circle! If I had any mountainman in me I'd strap my J45 to my back and hike the 10 miles to jam with you, but mebee this summer I can drive the loop with a flyrod and a gitbox, and play some of your stuff! Welcome to the forum !

duluthdan,

You're just over the hill (not a reflection on your age, you know)! Just time your arrival for a Friday night and give me a head's up that you're coming. One of the aforementioned guys I pick with plays a 1957 D-18 that has more mojo than any three guitars I've ever personally seen. He told me once that he always used to take it backpacking and he'd just strap it to the outside of his Kelty pack and go all over the Elks and West Elks with it!!! NO CASE or nothin', rain or shine! So if you need to relic, say, that Jackson Browne model in your list there, I can give you a detailed report on the effects of that kind of treatment. I also think he only paid about $250 for it which is probably a little less than your JB ran you. But, you're welcome any time. All kinds of people show up. We had a local 16 year old girl night-before-last that wanted to sing and boy did she have some pipes. Our only rule is that you can't spectate, you gotta sing or play something, even if it's just some shakers or claves. And, there are LOTS of guitars, mandos, dobros, electrics, concertinas, etc all over the house so come without an instrument if you are planning on hiking the pass.

ol fred,

I like to believe that all over this great, musical, country of ours there are people sittin' around making music and having a great time together. Given the quality of most of what I hear on the commercial scene, I think it drives even more people to turning off whatever device they listen to music through and onto learning how to make their own music. Like a lot of other things these days, once the corporate-think guys show up you can kiss the finer points goodbye. But I digress; In my town there is a pretty vibrant music scene but we don't circulate much (hardly at all!) amongst ourselves. Everyone stays within their own little ensemble. We might all just as well be up some holler back in the '20's and clueless about what goes on over the next ridge. And nowadays we don't even have the Grand Ole Opry on the radio to even remotely tie us together. I can't figure out why this is other than maybe we get comfortable with those we are willing to play music with and comfort is what we really seek through our instruments (in my case it sure ain't fame or fortune). But I bet that as you were writing your words here that not far away from you someone was picking a song and wishing that she/he had some accompanyment. Maybe there is a place on this forum for people to try and find players at their ability level and with their musical preferences that live close enough so that they can hook up. An eHarmony for acoustic musicians or some such!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Evening all! New to the forums and looking for some help and info on my Gibson acoustic. I recently purchased a Gibson Custom Shop J45 Heritage Cherry Burst LTD 60's re-issue. It was purchased new from my local Long and McQuade store. It has the orange Custom Shop Label from Bozeman Montana inside the sound hole. Unlike the only other 60's J45 re-issues I've found this one does not have the ceramic adjustable bridge. I have been attempting to research the model but am finding next to nothing about this particular J45 re-issue. Does anyone out there know anything about this particular run of Gibsons.

Cheers and thanks,

Chris

Hello to everyone! I'm new to the forum. I have come here (been directed here at times) when seeking information on Gibson acoustics. I live in the Midwest and have owned and played Gibson acoustics for sometime. There seems to be plenty of friendly folks and a lot of good info here. It's nice to hear other peoples opinions too, as I get tired of my own. I am by nature a "back of the classroom" type of person but may occasionally add my two cents.

I currently play a '92 AJ, '93 Hummingbird and a '95 SJ45 Deluxe (subject to change).IMG_4111_zps190f4c3d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Bram99 here.....just joined from San Francisco...been visiting for years, but happy to be part of the conversation. In keeping with expectations here, here is my Gibson family....2006 Les Paul Studio (VM, faded brown)...2012 custom ES-330 VOS, 2012 Custom LG-2 reissue, 2009 J-45TV. I have a handful other non-Gibson's but these are my faves. I could never choose just one, but I played (poorly) for 35 years and have never owned or played a guitar that comes close to the J-45 TV....well....that was until I picked up the LG-2 a couple of months ago....I now have two favorite guitars.....lucky for sure.

Bram99 here.....just joined from San Francisco... but I played (poorly) for 35 years and have never owned or played a guitar that comes close to the J-45 TV....well....that was until I picked up the LG-2 a couple of months ago....I now have two favorite guitars.....lucky for sure.

Thanks for the Intro there 99 ! Is your whole house upside down? Lot of J-45 love in this group so for sure you're in a friendly place.

My banker knows my house is not upside-down and that's good enough for me in these times....my darn iPad doesn't seem to be able to tell the difference however...here's the proper perspective...with a few others...the two middle ones in the back row I made a few years ago....European spruce and Alaskan yellow cedar flamenco (currently being refinished, thus blue tape in sound hole), and western red cedar and mahogany classical.....I was working on a 12-fret slotted head, adirondack and mahogany steel string based on LG body shape, before my son was born 6 years ago...and just now about to return to that project.

A newbie to this forum, but a player since the early 1970s when I decided to take up bass after Terry's Tune, the flipside of Paul Revere and the Raiders' Indian Reservation 45 (boomers will know what this means), kept playing in my head during a long roadtrip. My next birthday (15) I put in for a big ticket item and Dad sprung for a black Univox Hi Flyer bass. Still have it. My brother got a SG copy as a carrot for completing a high school tutoring class, and I started getting interested in guitar. Boston came out in '76 and spent extravgantly on a Les Paul Artisan from Quigley Music in Kansas City. Took month's of sacrificing what little pay I made as a Pizza Hut kitchen monkey to pay it off. Played in a few remarkably terrible local bands, then learned Tom Scholz's equipment was all highly modified. I couldn't do that to the Artisan so I shined it up and put it in the case. I bought a '73 Les Paul Gold Top Deluxe and Marshall half stack from Irish Music in Kansas City. Never could master the sound, but it opened up guitar to me. I've been adding gear to make a run at recording some original songs, and now have enough "tools" in the toolbox to have a go at it. Just got a nicely relic'd Sunburst Standard off eBay. Love it. I've been warming up to Epiphone guitars too lately, after spending a long time considering them filler and by-products. Very fond of my Nighthawk Custom and it's versatile tones, and a P93 Riviera. Favorite amps: a '69 Super Reverb pawn shop rescue and a Crate V16. Also have a thing for the two-tone blue Univoxs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...