Gibson Brands Forums

Weird theory but I can back it up...

Thundergod

What the heck does "sentience" mean?

Sentience.-

The ability to feel, perceive or be conscious, or to have subjective experiences. Eighteenth century philosophers used the concept to distinguish the ability to think ("reason") from the ability to feel ("sentience"). In modern western philosophy, sentience is the ability to have sensations or experiences (described by some thinkers as "qualia"). For Eastern philosophy, sentience is a metaphysical quality of all things that requires respect and care. The concept is central to the philosophy of animal rights, because sentience is necessary for the ability to suffer, which entails certain rights. In science fiction, non-human characters described as "sentient" typically have similar abilities, qualities and rights as human beings.

WTF guys... you really need the non English speaker to explain it to you? [cursing]

Sentience.-

The ability to feel, perceive or be conscious, or to have subjective experiences. Eighteenth century philosophers used the concept to distinguish the ability to think ("reason") from the ability to feel ("sentience"). In modern western philosophy, sentience is the ability to have sensations or experiences (described by some thinkers as "qualia"). For Eastern philosophy, sentience is a metaphysical quality of all things that requires respect and care. The concept is central to the philosophy of animal rights, because sentience is necessary for the ability to suffer, which entails certain rights. In science fiction, non-human characters described as "sentient" typically have similar abilities, qualities and rights as human beings.

WTF guys... you really need the non English speaker to explain it to you? [cursing]

Dude, I'm from Detroit. You speak English must better than I.

Weird theory but I can back it up... Steve is a sentient Gibson robot . . . .

Steve is a Gibson Robot that gained sentience during the flood.

That's the only explanation I can see to it. [thumbup]

Interesting theory.

But I've never heard of a vodka loving robot. . B)

LoL sometimes the dictionary is very handy!

Maybe start a word of the day?

This is a fantastic idea! The majority of English speaking people cannot comprehend many of the larger or less known words in the language. It befuddles me how many people claim they speak the language yet don't know half the words. I knew what sentience meant. Please, since you were the creator of this idea, start the thread. I will happily join in. I could come up with plenty of words that many people do not know or cannot define.

Man that's scary.

Robotic Steve on a bad vodka bender, blasting his way through the Lounge, one target at a time, looking for Sarah Connor. . [scared]

BK (in a fetching blonde wig)

I am Matt Reece, come with me if you want to live

Man, my command of the English language sucks. Didn't think sentience was a word.

In Oklahoma that's what you get when the judge sends you to jail . . . " Ma brother got him a ten-year sentience for cookin' up meth"

Archived