Gibson Brands Forums

339 right for me ?

dc3c46

I recently picked up my Lonestar Special from repair.

This time I gave it a try to see if everything was functioning.

Looking for a guitar to do the test with my guitar dude said " ... here try this 339 ..."

and I kid you not, this little thing just amazed mr with how comfortable it

was to play and the tone was quite cool.

GAS is setting in.

I however do have a great arsenal of guitars such as P-90 LP, Standard with Bareknuckle

PG Blues pickups, EC Strat, Firebird V, Tele, ES333 Ric 360/12 and Gretsch 6120.

Should I giv in and get a 339? Will I get a different flavour of tone that

I can not achieve with my present gear?

You tell me.

Before you pull the trigger you may want to consider a CS-336 or even a CS-356. Here are links to some good info. Below is my previously owned CS-356 that I bought for the same price as a new ES-339. http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/55057-es-339-vs-cs-336/ http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/Gibson_s%20Classic%20CS-336%20and%20th/

356a.jpg

These 'smaller' semis are all fine and dandy, and suit many players looking for easy handling and versatile tones

Purely personal preference (that's PPP to you all folks)

I like the 'larger' ES 335 and ES 137

Also the gem missing from said collection...the ES 330...

Feel free to ignore this post

But at all costs...Enjoy the chase !!.... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

PS. I notice an ES 333 in the collection, which is in essence a slightly 'rocked up' ES 335

So it is quite in order to 'Ignore this post'.....

I fell in love with the 339 the first time I picked it up. For me it fit my body well (I'm 5'8"); it's about the size as a LP. I probably could get used to a 335, but I really don't hear that much of a difference between them. I think that the 339 is Gibson's best homerun in years! Plus I got a geat deal on a figured top one:

es339fc.jpg

es339b.jpg

I fell in love with the 339 the first time I picked it up. For me it fit my body well (I'm 5'8"); it's about the size as a LP. I probably could get used to a 335, but I really don't hear that much of a difference between them. I think that the 339 is Gibson's best homerun in years! Plus I got a geat deal on a figured top one:

es339fc.jpg

es339b.jpg

Now this is a far out sunburst!

I was tending towards red , but this - I am speechless!

You lucky duck!

Before you pull the trigger you may want to consider a CS-336 or even a CS-356. Here are links to some good info. Below is my previously owned CS-356 that I bought for the same price as a new ES-339. http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/55057-es-339-vs-cs-336/ http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/Gibson_s%20Classic%20CS-336%20and%20th/

356a.jpg

WOW [love]

The 339 is a fantastic guitar at a very nice price point as far as Gibson go. I had one and loved it, sold it to a guy and now I miss it. I have a 359 which is a blinged up 339 but I still miss my 339 enough that I think I may get another.

Do you need one? Probably not with what you already have.

Are you going to get one? Sure you will.

My 339 is the best guitar I have ever owned and I have had a lot of Gibsons

This is mine:

339_001.jpg

My question is how close is the 339 to the 335 in tone..... Can I do Larry Carlton? BB? And other great music?

Yes the 339 is close to the 335 in tone. As far as doing BB, Larry Carlton, etc. a lot of that is in the amp, amp settings and your playing style.

You simply need to ask yourself one question. Are you a musician trying to fill a need? Or are you a collector trying to fill a desire? The answer is simply. Living with it is the problem.

Personally, I purchased all of the guitars that I musically need. But there are times when I just want something more sexier than what I already have.

It's still a struggle.

Jazz,

[thumbup]

I have a 339. I suggest you try some 335's and 339's. You might find as I did that some 335's sound a little better than a given 339 and vice versa. Not many 335's that I have tried sound better than my 339 -- many don't compete at all with my 339. All in all, I found more sweet sounding 339's than 335's -- but you must try out a bunch of em and pick out the best one.

I think the 335 and the 339 are priced about the same now, too. Good luck and look forward to hearing what you got.

(you wont regret the 339, that's for sure.)

Do you need one? Probably not with what you already have.

Are you going to get one? Sure you will.

My 339 is the best guitar I have ever owned and I have had a lot of Gibsons

This is mine:

339_001.jpg

The deed is done : she followed me home yesterday.

Antique red and a pleasure to handle and play.

Pics will follow.

Archived