Gibson Brands Forums

Funny practice session

Flight959

Enjoy these days. This is what being a Daddy is all about.

This reminded me. About 11 years ago I took my DIL in for her first ultrasound. My (then 29 year old) Son left work and met us at the Dr.'s office. As he was pacing around the waiting room during the preliminary exam he seemed a bit anxious. I asked if he was feeling OK. He reassured me he was fine but added "I'll just be glad when this is all over."

(Are you still chuckling?)

I replied "Well, I'm 52 years old...when do YOU think it'll be all over?"

Now I'm 63 with 11 grands plus one adopted. It's STILL not all over. They get bigger and older and more experienced. They get smarter than anyone they've ever met, while you get downright moronic. They leave and go out in the world and get their asses kicked by Life, then they come back and tell you what they learned from strangers, the same stuff they would never accept from you because you "didn't understand". And, with luck, you find each other as adults and have many years to enjoy.

And all the while, their uninhibited laughter is the sweetest music to your ears, the finest balm to your spirit. It's a very personal gift, one that Simon chose to share with us. What an honor.

Parents have a tendency to become much smarter between the ages of 15 and 25.

Think about it....

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years. (Samuel Clemens)

Guest farnsbarns

Excellent job, and really cool, dry can't wait to hear it live!

Hey, your boy is British! Nice looking boy, I see you're a very proud Daddy. [biggrin]

That might be the daftest thing ever said.. :P

This reminded me. About 11 years ago I took my DIL in for her first ultrasound. My (then 29 year old) Son left work and met us at the Dr.'s office. As he was pacing around the waiting room during the preliminary exam he seemed a bit anxious. I asked if he was feeling OK. He reassured me he was fine but added "I'll just be glad when this is all over."

(Are you still chuckling?)

I replied "Well, I'm 52 years old...when do YOU think it'll be all over?"

Now I'm 63 with 11 grands plus one adopted. It's STILL not all over. They get bigger and older and more experienced. They get smarter than anyone they've ever met, while you get downright moronic. They leave and go out in the world and get their asses kicked by Life, then they come back and tell you what they learned from strangers, the same stuff they would never accept from you because you "didn't understand". And, with luck, you find each other as adults and have many years to enjoy.

And all the while, their uninhibited laughter is the sweetest music to your ears, the finest balm to your spirit. It's a very personal gift, one that Simon chose to share with us. What an honor.

What a nice post!

Archived