Gibson Brands Forums

was this considered Punk or Pop?

saturn

Yes, let's not forget about New Wave. A forgotten genre, the 80's had a lot more than Hair Bands going for it.

Yep. I don't care too much for Costello, but I like The Police, Talking Heads, Pretenders, etc.

Yep. I don't care too much for Costello, but I like The Police, Talking Heads, Pretenders, etc.

Oingo Boingo, Heaven 17, The Fix, Psychedelic Furs....New wave was where all the creativity was playing out in the 80's. I never considered Elvis Costello "New Wave", I always considered him one of the "Rock Throwbacks" like Bob Segar and Eddie Money. Just a Rock guy kind of above the dated sounds of the period. Like a pair of Levis, their kind of music is just always there. However I never cared for Costello, either.

A lot of stellar talent in the late 70s and early 80s who played straight ahead pop and rock music (these labels do make things difficult sometimes) were more than happy to be tossed into the "new wave" pot. Why not? It sells records and doesn't ask you to be anything you are not.

Oingo Boingo, Heaven 17, The Fix, Psychedelic Furs....New wave was where all the creativity was playing out in the 80's. I never considered Elvis Costello "New Wave", I always considered him one of the "Rock Throwbacks" like Bob Segar and Eddie Money. Just a Rock guy kind of above the dated sounds of the period. Like a pair of Levis, their kind of music is just always there. However I never cared for Costello, either.

You sir are correct! He is a throwback! I do, however, enjoy Segar and Money (as in Eddie!). And Springsteen is not New Wave! That's Heartand/Americana rock, which I love! Tom Petty rules!

And you can't leave out The Cars and B52! They put New Wave on the map. And The Tubes as well. And I guess you could say Rush went through a New Wave phase? The Permanent Waves thru Grace Under Pressure (Power Windows and Hold Your Fire are pure 80s Progressive Synth Rock albums to me, not New Wave) has a New Wave flavor. It's like Prog New Wave!

New Wave is not really my kind of music, but I like it. If I was a working guitar player in the early 80s, I'd probably be down in LA trying to fit in with the EVH/Lynch league. Or pursuing the 'metal shred" guitar, for lack of a better term, like Randy Rhoads style guitar.

OR, I'd be playing a modded Strat with a buttload of chorusing and I'd have a semi Flock Of Seagulls hairdo!

Who Knows!

Actually Elvis produced a few albums for squeeze and he's a genius songwriter.

Yeah, you gotta give him that!

But it amazes me how many of these so called "anti-establishment" bands sell out. Springsteen's my prime example. Sucks up to Rolling Stone magazine, like all these other "individuals". And Costello is one of them.

Elvis Costello is one of the great songwriters and performers IMO

Particularly with the skillful 'Attractions' as back-up

Listening to 'Watching the Detectives' with it's original take on the reggae style

And 'Oliver's Army', a very intelligent and upbeat classic from that period...

V

:-({|=

Great post !!

No way IMO was that punk...far too well written and well played...Jools on keyboard etc

Tilbrook/Difford wrote some excellent songs in the Squeeze days...

V

+1 on everything you said.

Great band. Great songs. The lyrics are always a treat to read.

I've just recently finally got around to replacing my well-worn pre-recorded cassette (remember those?) of '45s and Under' with the CD of same.

Anyone who, having heard this taster, would like to hear more from Squeeze would be well advised to check it out. It's a compilation of all their singles plus their 'B'-sides (45s and under...get it?...lol!).

Highly recommended.

P.

+1 on everything you said.

Great band. Great songs. The lyrics are always a treat to read.

I've just recently finally got around to replacing my well-worn pre-recorded cassette (remember those?) of '45s and Under' with the CD of same.

Anyone who, having heard this taster, would like to hear more from Squeeze would be well advised to check it out. It's a compilation of all their singles plus their 'B'-sides (45s and under...get it?...lol!).

Highly recommended.

P.

That CD is how I came to really get in to Squeeze. I was familiar with "Tempted" and "Black Coffee..." in the 80s, and thought they were good songs, but I never paid much attention to the band. Sometime in the 90s I acquired the 45s And Under CD (I don't even know where I got it). I gave it a listen and realized that every song, first to last was great.

Since they weren't on my radar until later, I was curious how they were classified back when they were a "new" band.

Yeah, you gotta give him that!

But it amazes me how many of these so called "anti-establishment" bands sell out. Springsteen's my prime example. Sucks up to Rolling Stone magazine, like all these other "individuals". And Costello is one of them.

Not really sure if Costello was anti establishment. He certainly wasn't seen like that in the UK. I often think that Punk in the UK divided into 2 sections. One became more pop based Squeeze, Costello, The Police etc..and then you had the post punk movement, which in turn turned into early Goth (What is now termed as EMO), such as Joy Division, The Cure, Bauhaus etc. There was also the Ska/Punk crossover, which included The Special AKA. Madness, The Selecter etc. The real rally out rebels at the time, and the main band I would consider anti establishment were The Clash, but even they realised their folly in the end, and that was everything they set out not to be - a good old fashioned rock 'n' roll band.

You sir are correct! He is a throwback! I do, however, enjoy Segar and Money (as in Eddie!). And Springsteen is not New Wave! That's Heartand/Americana rock, which I love! Tom Petty rules!

And you can't leave out The Cars and B52! They put New Wave on the map. And The Tubes as well. And I guess you could say Rush went through a New Wave phase? The Permanent Waves thru Grace Under Pressure (Power Windows and Hold Your Fire are pure 80s Progressive Synth Rock albums to me, not New Wave) has a New Wave flavor. It's like Prog New Wave!

New Wave is not really my kind of music, but I like it. If I was a working guitar player in the early 80s, I'd probably be down in LA trying to fit in with the EVH/Lynch league. Or pursuing the 'metal shred" guitar, for lack of a better term, like Randy Rhoads style guitar.

OR, I'd be playing a modded Strat with a buttload of chorusing and I'd have a semi Flock Of Seagulls hairdo!

Who Knows!

Yeah, and Gary Newman!

I really liked Eddie Money and Bob Segar. From about 8th grade on I was into 60's and 7's Rock and any Blues I could get my hands on. The only modern music I was listening to was New Wave. I couldn't get into Metal or Glam Rock, and Punk never did it for me. My tastes have since broadened to include almost anything, so long as it's well executed.

Perhaps worth a mention of the pivotal role played by Malcolm Mclaren

In the instigation of the 'punk' ethos...music, lifestyle, clothes etc

Highly intelligent with a great sense of humour

His album 'Duck Rock' in collaboration with Trevor Horn

Is IMO one of the milestones of 20th century popular 'world' music....

V

Archived