Gibson Brands Forums

Oh, my, awesome! (Strings)

livemusic

This is so awesome, I thought I'd share it. I just happened to put some Martin Lifespan (SP) .12. to .54 strings on my J-45 standard. Wow, I have never played a guitar this awesome. It's just fab. I've never had a guitar with such perfect intonation. D-chord is heaven at same time as other chords! The bass notes (the Gibson sound)... KILLER. Wow, wow, wow, this is the way it should be! It's so good, I'd be willing to put new ones on soon as they start going down, whatever the cost. And I bought a boatload of these strings at a BOGO sale, so, I have a good supply for awhile. Lucked up, they work good on the Gibbie. Now, to try the on my Jackson Browne and other Gibbies. Can't wait!

Ever had a string set really be as dramatic on a guitar?

I found the same to be true of the Curt Mangan strings - about $8 a set. I threw a set of 80-20 12 to 53 on the JB and they are wonderful. The J-45TV likes 'em too. The HD28 has a set of Curt Mangan PBs and the Gerry Tolman has Mangan medium PBs on it, tuned down a whole step. My wife bought me a set of the Lifespan strings by mistake one time, and they did sound really good, until I messed up my string changing routine on my guitars and took them off after only 4 days.

• 2 months later...

I had the same experience. Prior to trying the Martins, I cycled through a bunch of brands and none, in my opinion, measured up to the Gibson Masterbuilts. I had 2 problems with the Gibson strings. First I had to mail order them - Ok not that big a deal. Second though, they have a poor lifetime at least as much as I played them. I play 1-3 hours a day and was only getting 25-40 hours out of a set of strings. That means it was string changing day evry 1-3 weeks. I think the Martins sound as good but last for a couple months or more. I'm sold.

I'm a big fan of Martin strings...80/20 12-54s on my AJ, 80/20 23-56s on my Epi EJ200 and PB 12-54s on my Takamines.

Haven't tried (or seen) the Lifespans in the UK.

I would like to use Gibson strings, but nobody stocks them anywhere near me. I would rather patronise local businesses than online stores, so I use the Martins as my local musical emporium has oodles of 'em in stock all the time.

They're great strings, loud and deeply resonant with piano-like trebles, unlike the tinny top end I hear in D'Addario strings...YMMV, of course.

I was very much against these Martin Lifespans at first. The price disgusted me. They cost more than Elixirs at the time, but seem to have dropped a bit in price. I decided to try them. They are the Martin Lifespan, Cleartone technology 80/20 .12 -.54 Lights. They are on my AJ Mahogany, and played simply wonderful...but here's the thing, they've been on that guitar, played daily over an hour a day, sometimes two hours...for two solid months, 8 weeks. And they sound and look fabulous still. I have no intention of changing them till they fade...and they have not. Get them. They are magic. They don't even show wear like elixirs and retain their tone for MONTHS of play!

This is so awesome, I thought I'd share it. I just happened to put some Martin Lifespan (SP) .12. to .54 strings on my J-45 standard. Wow, I have never played a guitar this awesome. It's just fab. I've never had a guitar with such perfect intonation. D-chord is heaven at same time as other chords! The bass notes (the Gibson sound)... KILLER. Wow, wow, wow, this is the way it should be! It's so good, I'd be willing to put new ones on soon as they start going down, whatever the cost. And I bought a boatload of these strings at a BOGO sale, so, I have a good supply for awhile. Lucked up, they work good on the Gibbie. Now, to try the on my Jackson Browne and other Gibbies. Can't wait!

Ever had a string set really be as dramatic on a guitar?

COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!!

my standard J-45 loves em also :)

great balance but nice bass rumble from the low E

went from Gibson stock strings to Daddario EXP 13s (not bad) to DR Sunbeam 13s (didn't like - not for me) to Martin SP 7100s (WOW!) then to back to DR Sunbeams 13s (give them another chance based on other reviews - still dont like em) then to Daddario EXP 12s (meh) then back to Martin SP Lifespan 7100s (LOVING IT)

i think the TUSQ saddle and nut on the standard j45 works well with the Martin strings - not sure why tho

also love the tone when plugged-in and amped :D

I've just ordered a set of these Lifespans to try on my 000-28 EC, which rarely gets played. The Martin Clapton's Choice strings are fine if you are playing every day and changing frequently, but I rarely pull this guitar out of the case, and the "stock" strings just don't sound that good over time.

Also ordered some more Sunbeam mediums for both my J-45 and my SJ, as I like the way they sound on a 'hog slope. And they do last, for uncoated strings. I'm sold on round-core strings.

Interesting hearing all this love for coated strings. Personally I have never liked a coated string as much as its uncoated cousin of the same brand and type. I prefer normal D'Addario over the coated version and normal Martin strings (PB and 80/20) over the coated (Lifespan) versions.

I won't argue over other issues like resistance to some peoples chemisry or long lasting for live players or a good choice for a shop wall new guitar being played by many different people and so on. I am talking purely about tone.

With that in mind I would ask the above posters who prefer Martin Lifespans: Purely based on tone, do you really prefer them to the Martin uncoated PB's or 80/20's?

Are they built by Martin, or just re-labeled?

That would be my question as well.

I have not been impressed with the Cleartones even though their company sent me some free sets last year. so if they are just relabeled strings here's a short forum thread.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/85270-cleartone-strings/page__p__1170236__fromsearch__1#entry1170236

I'm a big fan of Martin strings...80/20 12-54s on my AJ, 80/20 23-56s on my Epi EJ200 and PB 12-54s on my Takamines.

Haven't tried (or seen) the Lifespans in the UK.

I would like to use Gibson strings, but nobody stocks them anywhere near me. I would rather patronise local businesses than online stores, so I use the Martins as my local musical emporium has oodles of 'em in stock all the time.

They're great strings, loud and deeply resonant with piano-like trebles, unlike the tinny top end I hear in D'Addario strings...YMMV, of course.

Gibson and Martin strings in the UK http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/

1st Class postage and only £1.

Bob

Archived