Gibson Brands Forums

Cheap guitars that do "it".

Jinder

I have alot of cheap guitars I enjoy the heck out of but I will go with my cheapest. A 1934 Supertone. These were made by Harmony and were the Sears house brand before Silvertone. All birch, ladder braced art deco looking thing. Cost me less than a lunch out with my wife and it came with its original canvas case and songbook. All I can say while these ain't everybody's cup of tea it works real well for me. About as lo-fi a sound as it gets but the pefect throw you leg over the arm of you favorite easy chair and plunk away guitar.

SupertoneS210007.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These choices are all well and good, but while in the throes of playing and adjusting our ear to the lower tier of guitars, all it takes is for some a'hole buddy to show up with his J45 or D28, pull it out and play one chord to bring the whole self-deception crashing down. Lest we forget...

Not necessarily. Something like a Harmony Sovereign can give guitars costing a whole lot more scratch a heck of a run for their money. These were made with some of the best lumber you will ever see - one piece mahogany back and close even grained bookmatched spruce top topped off with a shellac finish (at least on the older ones) and pinless bridge. Here be my old block letter logo 1260 - best $100 I ever spent.

032.jpg

as for seaguls had them - way too overbuilt. s6 with a cedar top has a nice sound but go anyhing higher and they build them like a tank.

I may have just gotten lucky. A few weeks back I picked up a 2005 Art & Lutherie (from the Godin family) Cedar Folk, which is a cedar topped steel string with a large classical shaped body. It was severely beaten and I got it for $60. With many tweaks it plays super. However the braces look like cross ties and it chokes all the bass out of it. I tried to make $20-30 on ebay with no luck. Yesterday I relisted it with an opening bid of $99 and someone bid on it. I immediately stopped the auction and "sold to the current high bidder". I haven't heard from the guy though! Not sure if he's confused or doesn't check his email often. I don't suppose that happens very much, someone bids and the seller says "okay!".

I'm weird like that. Ebay is just a game to me now. I swear in a previous life I was a millionaire who spent his afternoons pitching pennies in the alley with the boys.

Not necessarily. Something like a Harmony Sovereign can give guitars costing a whole lot more scratch a heck of a run for their money. These were made with some of the best lumber you will ever see - one piece mahogany back and close even grained bookmatched spruce top topped off with a shellac finish (at least on the older ones) and pinless bridge. Here be my old block letter logo 1260 - best $100 I ever spent.

032.jpg

$100 ? did you get it recently for that money ? thats a steal !

I've been playing an Epiphone Zenith for about a year and it is, without a doubt, the most fun bass I've ever played. I have the fretless version with the nylon strings. It is the only bass I've ever played that has the 'thump' of an upright bass with the sustain of an electric. I've paid a lot more for basses, but this is my go-to bass now. [thumbup]

I am still sort of a sucker for cheap guitars, but a few years ago my attitude changed. I had been leaving cheap guitars out around the place, thinking that was safer. But I noticed that I tend to play whatever is out already so the cheap guitars were getting more play than the good ones! I'm not getting any younger and I have seen friends have to stop playing because of arthritis and what not, so I now leave the good guitars leaning against the wall and play them almost exclusively. I would say to any musician: make sure you have at least one really nice instrument. Don't skimp! You're worth it, aren't you? If you are serious about this you will spend countless hours with this thing so get a pro grade axe, by which I mean a Gibson acoustic, Martin 18 series and above, or equivalent quality instrument (or better). Don't be satisfied with a collection of cheapos. Once you have a decent box to play, ok whatever, buy whatever you like and can afford.

But I noticed that I tend to play whatever is out already so the cheap guitars were getting more play than the good ones!

My guess is most people fall into the same category. I play the ones I have out at the minute, so I'm conscious to rotate them so they all get some time. But if I don't rotate them the ones that are out and about the house are the ones that see the action.

i hope you basturds at least give us folk , who only have ONE guitar , at least a nano seconds thought while you all struggle with your warehouses full

:P

A lot to be said for one guitar, a lot less phaffing around, a lot less maintenance, string changing etc etc.. of course if it breaks you're up the creek, but there's a lot less tonal purity, string type, modding and dodding threads you have to wade through to see if you're missing out. Silver linings an all that... for me, I have a few guitars to unsuccessfully cover my mediocrity. :D

A lot to be said for one guitar, a lot less phaffing around, a lot less maintenance, string changing etc etc.. of course if it breaks you're up the creek, but there's a lot less tonal purity, string type, modding and dodding threads you have to wade through to see if you're missing out. Silver linings an all that... for me, I have a few guitars to unsuccessfully cover my mediocrity. :D

yeah, whatever !

lol

i will get a second one of these days though . probably one o those taylors , i hear theyre good :)

I have an Epiphone AJ knockoff sitting in my in-laws house 1,100 miles away, so that I don't have to travel with a guitar when I head their direction. I just ordered another one from MF and am having it shipped to my folks house 1,400 miles away, for the same purpose. So far traveling on airplanes with guitars I have been lucky and beaten the odds. Solid top and sides, super low action, $200, Buzzes up high, but I rarely play beyond the 3rd fret, and delightfully acceptable tone. Cheap peace of mind.

I still use my first acoustic/electric I bought back in 1975 sometimes. Yamaha FG 110e! It's Been beat and through so many times I don't even remember, but plays so easy and sounds great. I even busted the tuning head in half, put Elmer's Glue and a clamp on it and have continued to use it like that since the early 90's.

Just saw the same one on Craigslist without a pick up for $149 and was tempted to scoff it up, but didn''t.

my glue? WTfreggle?

I was given a post 2008 Seagull S6 Original cedar-top that was purchased from the 'bay brand new but crazy dirt cheap. There were three cracks in the top and a nasty gouge on the headstock, probably all from being dropped in shipping. I did quick and dirty glue work, adjusted the truss rod, tuned it to pitch and was shocked at how - ahem - Gibson-esque - this little beast is. It's my guitar for playing in the back yard while watching the children play, for leaving on the guitar stand in the living room that sometimes doubles as a drink-holding end table for my wife, and for playing at odd moments when I don't want to wake anyone up by going upstairs to retrieve my J-45.

There's more fundamental and less overtone than my '05 J-45 HC. The 'gull doesn't have the breathy voice-like quality or quite the ring, chime, sustain and presence, but the sound is still reminiscent of a round-shoulder Gibson. Good "thump" in the bass, good fingerpicking guitar, nice attack. Jazz chords on the inside 4 strings sound very arch-toppy to me. Cross a J-45 with an LG-something, maybe a pinch of ladder-braced tone, and that's the Seagull. It'll never replace my Gibson, but it enhances and complements it quite nicely.

My favorite of the "cheap" guitars that I've bought (and cheap is relative) is the Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500RC 12-Fret.

It's a Roy Smeck-inspired model that was only available for a couple of years, just a few years ago. They retailed for $499. I got the last one AMS had (and after they had been out of stock for quite a while and I never thought I'd find one) for $399, I think. I may have paid the full $499, I can't remember. In either case, a bargain.

Chunky, mahogany V neck. 12 frets to the body. Solid Rosewood back and sides, and richly grained. Cedar top. Rectangle bridge. Warm, sensitive, and dynamic, and dripping with honeyed tone. What a gem.

Red 333

I have a 6 string Yamaha guitele, which is a 6 string ukele or a very miniature classical guitar...depending on how one looks at it, that is a whole lot of fun to play and can get packed in an overnight suitcase. Cost $99 at Sam Ash or elsewhere (sometimes it is $129).. It is actually quite loud for its size and quite playable in all respects. I find myself enjoying this cheap little thing which isn't a toy by any means, but a very interesting and fun thing to play.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I still love my all-laminate Art & Lutherie (Godin/Seagull) dreadnought that my parents bought me as a high school graduation gift 11 years ago. It has a great chunky neck, is very well-built, and has surprising tone for an all-laminate guitar. It's kind of like a Martin D-15 but with a little less depth to the tone. It's the kind of guitar that just has songs in it, if you know what I mean.

More recently, I played an Epiphone AJ-200S the other day at a Guitar Center -- I think it's a new model in the a J-45/AJ style. There's always been something funky about the Epiphone slope-shoulder body shape and/or bridge shape, but this one looked much more like its expensive cousins -- pretty sharp. When I sat down, tuned it up, and started to play, I was pretty stunned how good it sounded. For the money ($200) it sounded very good. I would have expected it to cost around $500 or $600 and even then I would have been impressed with the sound. It's not going to give an AJ or a J-45TV a run for their money, but for $200 I was pretty impressed.

Well for me it's the Tanglewood Parlour guitar TW73. Cedar top mahogany back and sides. Nice slim neck just very comfortable to play. It's a copy of a 1904 parlour guitar. I was after a Martin parlour but couldn't fine one so bought this to fill in, Never bought the Martin in the end.

More recently, I played an Epiphone AJ-200S the other day at a Guitar Center -- I think it's a new model in the a J-45/AJ style. There's always been something funky about the Epiphone slope-shoulder body shape and/or bridge shape, but this one looked much more like its expensive cousins -- pretty sharp. When I sat down, tuned it up, and started to play, I was pretty stunned how good it sounded. For the money ($200) it sounded very good. I would have expected it to cost around $500 or $600 and even then I would have been impressed with the sound. It's not going to give an AJ or a J-45TV a run for their money, but for $200 I was pretty impressed.

Was it like this one or an even newer model?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-aj-220s-acoustic-guitar

• 1 month later...

I love this thread.

I have an Epi Hummingbird I bring to parties where there are people wanting to get their greasy chicken fingers on my axe. No way could I let the Gibson out of hands. Recently acquired a Taylor 210e and it's a great playing guitar. Very bright. Paid $600 with HSC.

A little surprised to hear Harmony Sovereign love. I had one as a kid and it was an untameable beast. Action was an inch by fret 12. Glad to hear they all aren't like that. I've also heard Washburns and Yamahas that punched above their class. It's nice to play instruments you can beat a bit without feeling guilty.

I still need a Gibson J200 though. A friend had one and planted the seed. Argh.

Archived