Gibson Brands Forums

Cheap guitars that do "it".

Jinder

I'm a Gibson lifer, and I love really special guitars. Why else would I (and all of us, for that matter!) be here, if not?

However, once in a blue moon I come across a guitar that isn't worth a great deal of money, but punches a long way above its weight.

One such guitar is the Epi EJ200 that I was very kindly given by my Dad. It's one of the later solid-top examples and just booms like crazy...when you dig in with a pick, you can almost see steam rising from it. It has a brilliant neck and the lowest action of any acoustic I own. Great guitar.

Another such guitar is my Takamine EG416S New Yorker. When I sold my Blues King (necessity alas when broke last year), I needed to replace it with another small bodied guitar which would leave me with a good chunk of change with which to get by.

The Tak cost me £300 including HSC, but you'd never know from playing or hearing it. It plays like butter and sounds like a much bigger guitar...really great tone and responsiveness, and the superb pickup system really makes for a strong stage guitar, especially for gigs in rougher venues where a refined lady such as the AJ wouldn't fit in!

So...what are your bargainiferous beaters which have won a place in your heart and collection?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sure is my Aria Pro II TA 30

It sounds great, it plays super. It never had a buzz or any failure. I bumped her head against the ceiling, and played her real hard and ruff and she still playes perfect!

I know now that she is so good because I played a few real expensive guitars (Fenders, hand mades, gibsons, Gretsches) and she can stand against them.

Than again...I play er for many years yet and of course that is something not to be sniffed at when it comes to comparing the feel...then again, if you come across a better feel you sure will notice. It costed 26 years ago approx 450$

(BTW is this an ES339 model? I think so)

DSCF3148.jpg

DSCF3041.jpg

I just bought a new guitar, mostly to have a spare on hand for the jam, but also for my own use when the weather is to severe to take my Gibson outside. Its a Tramontane LAG T66DCE, all laminate with a graphite nut and saddle. Very quiet unplugged as one would expect but a very pleasant tone when amped up. $400.00 USD very affordable. New frets are a bit rough on the fingers, not at all like a fifty four year old Gibson but a pleasant little machine in all.

7832537218_29e7c5a367_o.png

Was in my local shop a few months ago and they had a used Daion brand acoustic guitar with a price tag somewhere around $200. Never heard of the brand before -- it's a Japanese brand -- funny looking pickguard. I couldn't believe how great it sounded and the action on it was fantastic. I noodled around on that thing for an hour, it was so fun to play. I would've bought it, but the wife woulda killed me for bringing home another guitar. It has since sold.

mark-i-front_595.jpg

So...what are your bargainiferous beaters which have won a place in your heart and collection?

I got a discontinued Walden G640 (grand auditorium body, solid spruce top, laminated hog back/sides) on Ebay for $113! It originally sold for $290 but had one small ding in the top, otherwise it was brand new and even came with the warranty because it was sold by a Walden dealer. It sounds as good as the Taylor 114/214 models that I have played at Guitar Center.

I have a Silver Creek T-160, which is a mahogany copy of a Martin 000-28EC, made by Recording King for Musician's Friend. They no longer make them but MF kept putting them on sale - I got mine for $180 or something. Crazy deal, all solid woods and the guitar is as good as many middle-tier instruments selling for five or six bills. I picked up a couple of the rosewood versions (T-170) and gave them as presents. Of course you had to buy a case for them, but I found a dandy archtop case on MF which was cheap and nicer than the case that came with my Martin OM-21.

Another cheap and good guitar I have is an Epiphone EL-00. They come with a plastic saddle which must be replaced with tusq or bone, an easy do it yourself job requiring only sandpaper and a new saddle. For down and dirty 12 bar blues it is arguably a better, funkier, more bluesy sounding guitar than anything Gibson makes.

Epiphone EJ-200 Artist. Ridiculously cheap ($125 or something! wait for Musicians Friend sale) and great fun. Comes like all the epis with a strap button, very helpful to me on a guitar this big.

I went shopping for a low priced decent guitar around Christmas for my little 10 year old friend accross the street. It was Takamine (G..???..immitation Lowden with a cedar top) but was very very nice sounding.

Though the frets are not very even & im not secure felling about the stability of the neck wood..the sound box is so good.

I still need to get her a case & I have been a s@%t teacher having only given her 3 lessons this year.

I had a Cortez knockoff of a J200 (Maple B/S). This was one of the best sounding guitars in my collection (collection includes some Martins and Gibsons). There was something about the warmth and clarity of the voice on that guitar that really spoke to me. I ended up giving it to a friend who loved it but can't spend money on guitars right now. I still see/play it now and then and I know it is being well cared-for.

RB

Another cheap and good guitar I have is an Epiphone EL-00. For down and dirty 12 bar blues it is arguably a better, funkier, more bluesy sounding guitar than anything Gibson makes.
What's the scale on those, Jerry? My older BK was 25.5 and rather strident, lacking in warmth. How is your Bluesmaster in that regard? Ive heard good words about the Loar L016s. Anyone here?

What's the scale on those, Jerry? My older BK was 25.5 and rather strident, lacking in warmth. How is your Bluesmaster in that regard? Ive heard good words about the Loar L016s. Anyone here?

The EL-00's are short scale with a rather narrow neck (1.65") My bubinga blues king is also short scale. It does fine with real blues but IMO it is a bit too nice a guitar, too refined. It's a well-dressed, sweet, good girl while the epi is more like the dirty, boozy broad you expect to find playing blues. I'd like to try one of those Loar L016s. I think they are laminated B&S like the EL-00. I wish they would make one like that with short scale and a 12 fret body.

I'm a Gibson lifer, and I love really special guitars. Why else would I (and all of us, for that matter!) be here, if not?

However, once in a blue moon I come across a guitar that isn't worth a great deal of money, but punches a long way above its weight.

One such guitar is the Epi EJ200 that I was very kindly given by my Dad. It's one of the later solid-top examples and just booms like crazy...when you dig in with a pick, you can almost see steam rising from it. It has a brilliant neck and the lowest action of any acoustic I own. Great guitar.

Another such guitar is my Takamine EG416S New Yorker. When I sold my Blues King (necessity alas when broke last year), I needed to replace it with another small bodied guitar which would leave me with a good chunk of change with which to get by.

The Tak cost me £300 including HSC, but you'd never know from playing or hearing it. It plays like butter and sounds like a much bigger guitar...really great tone and responsiveness, and the superb pickup system really makes for a strong stage guitar, especially for gigs in rougher venues where a refined lady such as the AJ wouldn't fit in!

I still use my first acoustic/electric I bought back in 1975 sometimes. Yamaha FG 110e! It's Been beat and through so many times I don't even remember, but plays so easy and sounds great. I even busted the tuning head in half, put Elmer's Glue and a clamp on it and have continued to use it like that since the early 90's.

Just saw the same one on Craigslist without a pick up for $149 and was tempted to scoff it up, but didn''t.

1998 Seagull S-6 with a cedar top. $100 used. Sounds like an old Gibson HOPES to sound like.

Yeah, Seagulls definitely punch above their weight, really good value and tone for the money. I now recommend them to any young budding acoustic guitar beginner. The wider nut width is a bit tricky at first but once you get a hang of it plays like a dream.

I have a Alvarez dread my dad bought me when I was 12 or 13. Seems to be a D18 sorta copy I suppose. Anyway, I never fail to be surprised how loud and responsive it is. Tons of sustain......I mean sustain like my D28 had [confused] Often I've wondered if I should get rid of all my higher end stuff and just keep the Alvarez. It's a fine guitar

I cannot heap enough praise on Yamaha for their 'across the range' availability and superb sounds/quality

Including the surreal 'Silent Guitar' now made in Indonesia :blink: and well usable

The latest Chinese Guilds are excellent

Ovations from Korea sound better than ever

Takamine have been at the top for decades now

V

:-({|=

These choices are all well and good, but while in the throes of playing and adjusting our ear to the lower tier of guitars, all it takes is for some a'hole buddy to show up with his J45 or D28, pull it out and play one chord to bring the whole self-deception crashing down. Lest we forget...

These choices are all well and good, but while in the throes of playing and adjusting our ear to the lower tier of guitars, all it takes is for some a'hole buddy to show up with his J45 or D28, pull it out and play one chord to bring the whole self-deception crashing down. Lest we forget...

True, but remember that old song "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with." ? I tried to 'love' pawnshop Seagulls, but found the action just too rough. After spending hours in the mid-price acoustic room at GC and trying to get comfortable with the feel first and sound second of Epis, et al - I wandered into the nylon string room. Absolute head and shoulders above everything I tried was a Cordoba Gipsy King Studio at $500 with gigbag. The sound and feel alone were enough to seal the deal, but the internal microphone and undersaddle with the fishman electronics were icing on the cake. It doesn't COMPETE with my SJ200 and H'bird TV - it complements them. Gives me a chance to play different stuff. So, while I started out looking for a beater that felt and sounded good - since I couldn't find anything that would ever tempt me to pick it up instead of one of my Gibsons, I changed my objective from looking for a poor substitute to looking for an alternative.

Archived