Gibson Brands Forums

WWYD? Twin Reverb Reissue or Lonestar Special?

Blueblooded

Ok, have a dilemma here and looking to see what others would do (not that I'll really be swayed by it, but just curious [mellow] .

About a month ago I put my early 90's Peavey 5150 Combo up for sale on CL and a guy contacted me and traded his beautiful Fender Twin Reverb Reissue straight up for it. My goal was to take the cash and sell some other stuff to put towards a 30W Mesa Lonestar Special, but I am really diggin the Twin Reverb. Nothing can match the cleans and deep tonal range of this 85W beast. On the other hand, I currently just play in the house and really don't need the power it has. I've considered keeping it and getting a couple high quality pedals to add some dirt (considering the Fulltone OCD or Fulldrive Mosfet) and a MXR Carbon Copy Delay. On the other hand, There's a great deal on a still new (they're being discontinued) Mesa 1x12 Lonestar Combo nearby. Still pricey at $1300, but the cleans approach what the Twin puts out, and it has some great crunch tones on hand. My son and I share this purchase and I'm going to go with his decision, but just wondering on your thoughts. Have a buyer for the Fender which is mint at around $800. The boy wants something a little more portable (1x12 vs. 2x12) as he'll more than likely take it with him when he goes a little farther for Med School next year. Oh, I typically play my Midtown Custom through it and he recently picked up a mint 2006 Vegas High Roller that he can't seem to put down.

So, hopefully I set up the poll correctly... Also, if we decide to keep the Fender, what are some other good OD and Analog Delay pedals that work well with the Twin? Thanks!

Haven't spent much time with a Lonestar, but do have a Twin. You can't beat the cleans or reverb, and they take pedals really well. The Fulldrive and Carbon Copy sound GREAT through it. I've used a ton of different OD's with it, and found I like it best with the King of Tone. I use a DM-2 for delay through it, but you could probably buy 2 used Carbon Copy's for the same price the DM-2 goes for now(plus they are a lot more versatile).

This might not interest some of you, but I've always wondered what a Twin with an added gain stage and a master volume would sound like.

The Twin Reverb II. Designed by Rivera and I've had 2 of 'em since 1982. Does a perfect Robben Ford 'Talk to your Daughter' - Dumble tone, trust me.

But a Mesa Lonestar is a very fine thing; they are mighty heavy and the reverb controls are on the back but the tonal options are many and varied.

so I voted and I would go with the lonestar.. Twins are great, but they do what they do, and that's about it. (Plus, moving them is about as much fun as falling down stairs)

The lonestar is a more versatile amp, and range of options and tones are everything with amps. I think you're doing what I would do.

pedals---

I've liked what I've heard from the OCD, (although I don't have one today, I will eventually pick one up).. check out the Radial Trimode, or the Blackstar Dual(the blackstar dual sounds terrific.) they are both pricey tho

Check out a compressor, (Route 66, or an MXR or something along that line)

for Delays, I have two Line 6 DL4 and an Echo Park, I really like the echo park, the only hassle is the line 6 power supplies are not 9v so putting a pedal board together with a power supply, you will need to take that into account. the DL4 is great, but it's big.. and it has a looper, (a plus maybe?)

Keep the Twin, save for the Mesa or whatever other amp you might need. But keep the Twin and add. Yer allowed more than one amp, and that Twin will hold down a great spot in any group of amps for a very long time to come.

rct

Update...

The buyer came by and the twin left at 7:30 last night. That left me just enough time to get to the GC that had the Lonestar. All I can say is WOW! After playing around for about 15 minutes I set the controls to the first example in the owner's guide and have only tweaked slightly from there (so far). At low volumes and on the 5W setting it's amazing. Can't wait to crank it a bit. I have a Fender Super Sonic 4x12 cab (with V30's) and I can't wait to plug it in to that as well.

Thanks again for all the input. Now I'm just looking for a nice analog delay and will be all set...for a while [biggrin]

Tim

These amps are pretty well polar opposites, as the Twin remains clean until it pretty well gets into paint peeling volumes and the Mesa can give you lots of overdriven crunch a ta more civil volume.Having said that it shouldn't be too hard to make a choice,if you play clean most of the time,the Twin would probably be the better choice and then if you need some crunch at times all you'll need is a decent OD or distortion pedal.Conversely if you are inclined to play more on the dirty side,the Mesa should do the trick quite well.

Archived