Gibson Brands Forums

Favourite 8 bit computer?

FenderGuy1

Guest Farnsbarns

Hey FG. When I was just a little older than you some friends and I built a steam powered computer using steam to throw switches in a login gate configuration. It could add and subtract in single digits. This was before the days of the internet but I'm sure you could find some info on how to do something similar.

This is a bit ludicrous as the Mac Classic technically came well into the 16-bit era and used, as did the original, a Motorola 16/32-bit cisc microprocessor - far, far ahead of the 6502 and its variants, 8080 and Zilog Z80 eight-bit CPUs.

The C-128 also should probably not be here unless the Apple II or C64 with a CPM board (essentially a second processor) would also be.

So adding the Mac classic - around 1990 as I recall - with late 70s and early 80s 8-bit home computers isn't at all correct since it had such a far later cpu design.

Choosing the Mac in this particular poll is a false choice since it ain't an 8-bit machine.

m

I liked DEC PDP 8L's personally. They were a mid-processor design with Dedion feet. Good in the turns but it had decent power too. I/O was a little slow.

pdp8l.jpg

Hello! I might be wrong, but all PDPs were at least 16-bit. Cheers... Bence

What is a "Bit"?

I write most of my originals in F#.

Does that count?

BInary digiT. The digits of the binary numeric system, these are: 0 and 1. These build up binary codes which are used for controlling digital devices. 0 is when there is no signal flowing, 1 is when it does. Eight of those make up a byte... Cheers... Bence

BInary digiT. The digits of the binary numeric system, these are: 0 and 1. These build up binary codes which are used for controlling digital devices. 0 is when there is no signal flowing, 1 is when it does. Eight of those make up a byte... Cheers... Bence

Do you know what, btoth76.....

I think ol' AXE® may have been

"joking" when he asked what a bit was. As in "having a bit of a laugh....."

Archived