Gibson Brands Forums

Do you play your LP sitting down?

Fleece

I play primarily sitting down...it's just more comfortable, and since I don't gig, it's a luxury I can afford.

I love my new Gibson Midtown Custom. It's my first Gibson, but the combination of the Burstbuckers, shorter scale length and general design philosophy of the Midtown has made me a HUGE Gibson fan, overnight.

I had tried a couple Les Pauls before, but couldn't get over what I felt was an overly small uppper bout (or maybe its waist)? I'm not sure what you call it, but the waist of a Les Paul was too thin for me...and it just wasn't comfortable for me as a (primarily) sit-down player.

The narrow part between the lower and upper bouts just seem tiny...too close to the strings...for anyone who would attempt to play (let alone strum) sitting down.

Am I imagining this? Again, I've only recently become an enormous Gibson fan. I'd love to look forward to experiencing a high-end Les Paul, but their body shape has always turned me off. Do I have it wrong?

Hello and welcome Fleece! I play seated most of the time and never experienced any shortcomings of doing so. You might feel like this, because You haven't got used to playing an LP yet (probably). Cheers... Bence

Thanks btoth76...even though you probably just cost me a metric ****ton of money. ;)

Seriously, though, it's good to know. I can't remember the specific model of LP that I played (in some So.Cal. Guitar Center), but I remember that it had extremely hot pickups (nothing like the Midtown's Burstbuckers that I love right now).

I guess I'm mainly looking for an excuse to lust after another guitar. My initial experience with Gibson have been so overwhelmingly positive, my Midtown Custom crushes my Robert Cray strat, and, slightly less so, my custom Tele), that I was looking toward Gibson for my next axe.

I'm not sure what I hope to gain from the Midtown Custom (most likely nothing)...but I have G.A.S. like most others in this forum. I wouldn't mind trying out some 57 Classic pups...yes, no?

The '57s are really great. I have them in my Classic Custom Antique Natural. After changing the ceramic capacitors to PIOs it got such a nice, vintage-like mellow Les Paul-tone! I can only recommend them. The LP Traditionals come with these pickups too. But the Classic Custom...no words to describe what a great guitar it is.

HPIM3032.jpg

Cheers...Bence

I haven't noticed the LP sitting lower when sitting down. Next time I play it, I will look into it. It actually makes sense what you say.

If there is a complaint about the LP as far as comfort when playing sitting down, it might be that the upper bought can have a tendancy to dig into your ribcage. I have heard others complain of this as well. But if you have a Tele, it does exactly the same thing.

One thing about the LP that I thing is a great advantage is the angle of the neck and the way the arched top puts the bridge up high from the body. (bear with me). On a Fender, the neck pokes out at exactly the same plane as the body. Feels like one solid straight plank. The bridge is also right down flat on the body, (like a flat-top accoustic). You may have noticed that on a Gibson, the bridge and tailpiece make a great anchor for your right hand. On a Fender, a major difference between a Tele and a Strat is the belly cutout in the back and the contour for the arm on the front, which really helps with where the guitar sits naturally when playing it. On a Tele, with the flat body the right hand and arm on the top of the body sort of push the neck out, so there is a slight battle between left hand/arm and right hand/arm.

With an LP, the angle of the neck is a lot greater, and the neck seems to sit more naturally in a position that is good for grabbing it without having to pull it back or twist yourself. I have a LP Specail as well. I am primarily a Strat player, and the first thing I notice when I put on the Special is that bridge, and how easy it is to rest the right hand. But going from the Special to the LP it's game over- EVERYTHING is right there in perfect position. The taller arched top, the angle of the neck coming off the body mokes a huge difference. Even though I have played Strats for something like 28 years and like 90% of my practice and muscle memory is related to a Strat, For some reason an LP just feels perfect even before I get used to it.

I will add that by the time I got my first REAL LP, I was already primarily a stand-up player. When not standing, it isn't woerd for me to play laying prone and rest the guitar on the couch or at my hips or between my legs or move it around however I happen to be lounging. I do notice that the LP seems to be easier to play in more positions, problably because of the smaller body.

Next time I get it out, I will try it sitting like a normal person and see if I notice any differences between it and the other guitars, and see if it in fact feels lower.

Yeah I dont gig so I also play sitting down most the time.. but stand sometimes too when I really wanna rock out.... And ive been doing so for many years.. so as suggested above you may just need a short time to get used to it.

My brother in law has a Tele, a Jaguar Players and a LP Faded.. And he always tells me that he loves them all equally but every time he picks his LP up after playing the other guitars what a different beast it really is..

And if you tried a LP with really hot pickups, it could have been a Classic.. they have realy hot pups on them.

I play my LP's both standing and sitting. I have never had an issue playing one while sitting down, other than the non-chambered ones will start to get heavy on your thigh after a while ;) Once you get used to them, LP's are actually comfortable, play-wise. Weight is about the only thing that could become an issue.......as I slowly slip off into old age and my back starts to go out LOL !

I play primarily sitting down and have no issue regardless of different models or different guitars.

It's certainly going to be a matter of preference. I think for those who go from acoustic guitar to a LP for example are going to notice a big change between the lower and upper bouts. The LP is heavy enough as it is, and I can't imagine any more wood being added.

I play classical, acoustic, and electric. While I can certainly feel differences in weight, width, handling, etc. when I change from one guitar to another it really does not bother me since I regularly play all three. If I stopped playing one and then went back to it I would likely have issues with it.

Just my humble opinion... :)

I play my Les Paul(s) only sitting down...but then again, I have no feeling in my right leg below my knee due to an injury, so standing up for a long period of time is totally out of the question. Haha

I can tell you that at first I had a little difficulty playing my Les Paul in a sitting position. I was always used to standing when playing any of my guitars (minus my acoustic), so it was a little weird at first. But I did get used to it.

If the weight is uncomfortable on your leg, you can always put a strap on your guitar and raise it a little bit so the guitars not resting on your thigh. That works for me anyways.

I sit cuz I can.

It's comfortable and I'm lazy. I don't gig. When jamming with buddies I will sit if there's a spot.

I find it easier to finger when sitting. I can stand if I have to, but if there's a couch in the room I am going to mold my butt cheeks in that baby.

If it feels weird in your lap then your just not used to the body style. I'm sure it will become second nature in time.

Although with some of the heavier LP's the balance is such that you have to correct it while you play, but I don't really think about it,, I just deal with it I guess.

Just got my first Les Paul - I thought my Musicman guitars were heavy!

I play standing up so I get a workout at the same time [biggrin]

I have found in the past that if I learned to play something sitting down, when I stood up and played with the band there was a period of adjustment to get used to the different positioning so I just stand.

On another note (no pun intended), I thought I had a decent tone happening before - then I plugged in the Les Paul - wow!

I guess I'd better get ready for the next phase of Gear Acquisition Syndrome...

Before I got hurt, I'd play a lot standing up. Either at band practice, random jam sessions, or just trying to look cool in the mirror ;) Haha

But if it's really a discomfort to you, then you should try using the strap and holding the guitar a little higher on your body. Worked fine for me until I got adjusted to playing sitting down.

I play primarily sitting down...it's just more comfortable, and since I don't gig, it's a luxury I can afford.

I love my new Gibson Midtown Custom. It's my first Gibson, but the combination of the Burstbuckers, shorter scale length and general design philosophy of the Midtown has made me a HUGE Gibson fan, overnight.

I had tried a couple Les Pauls before, but couldn't get over what I felt was an overly small uppper bout (or maybe its waist)? I'm not sure what you call it, but the waist of a Les Paul was too thin for me...and it just wasn't comfortable for me as a (primarily) sit-down player.

The narrow part between the lower and upper bouts just seem tiny...too close to the strings...for anyone who would attempt to play (let alone strum) sitting down.

Am I imagining this? Again, I've only recently become an enormous Gibson fan. I'd love to look forward to experiencing a high-end Les Paul, but their body shape has always turned me off. Do I have it wrong?

I have reached the age that one of the most important pieces of gear on stage is my stool. [glare]

I had got used to playing big hollowbody guitars both ways,but sitting and playing was about as easy and comfortable as it gets.I came to find I could play,eat,sleep,and play some more without ever taking it off.Literally had it strapped on all the time when I was not working,in the shower,or the girlfriend over.I don't have those anymore,pretty much just my LP and a Tele and since my LP tips the scales at around 14 pounds it gets much more time on the stand than I'd like,but playing it sitting down took some getting used to.](*,)[wink]

Only play standing up.... For a period of six months I played sitting down then was asked to help a mate out as an extra guitar with his live project... All went well until the gig... Couldn't play standing up... Grrrrr Standing only for me these days.... My number one is a Les Paul Studio vintage mahogany... Not as heavy as my Epiphone standard but feels perfect slung low and enables me to play for ages without my shoulders aching... Also as a side note, I thought the difference between Epiphone and Gibson was just some better hardware and a few bits of guitar eye candy ie fret binding and better finish.... Wrong wrong wrong... My Studio blows my Epiphone Standard away... For me Gibson are perfect... But that's just me...

Archived