Gibson Brands Forums

Kaleb's Top 5- Lead Guitar Teams!

kaleb

1. Scott Gorham/Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy)

2. Scott Gorham/Gary Moore (Thin Lizzy)

3. Pat Travers/Pat Thrall (Pat Travers Band)

4. Ace Frehley/Richie Scarlet (Ace Frehley Band 1989-1995)

5. Frank Hannon/Tommy Skeoch (Tesla)

I would like to add to the list, Dave Murray/Adrian Smith early Iron Maden up to Powerslave album. Those were classic Iron Maiden at their prime IMHO.

Also KK Downing/Glenn Tipton of early Judas Priest.

I don't see how you can HAVE a top 5 without these on the list.

Duane Allman & Eric Clapton (Derek & the Dominos) would be on my list.

Following on from Bence's mention of Taylor/Richards I'd also mention Wood/Richards.

And no mention of Lennon/Harrison yet?.......

[wink]

P.

I only recognize three of the names listed!

I guess I'm getting REALLY old!

I too only recognised 3 and Im 19

I went to see dragonforce in nottingham last week and thought sam totman and herman lee were pretty awesome

I only recognize three of the names listed!

I guess I'm getting REALLY old!

Surely not, L5Larry!

Which three?

Gary Moore, Scott Gorham, Brian Robertson, Ace Frehley and Pat Travers all released their first albums between '73 and '76 so I'd be surprised if you are too old to have heard of them!

Only Tesla were unfamiliar to me not having their first album until '86. They didn't get much airplay here AFAIK.

P.

I would add Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman to that list. Megadeth's track Hangar 18 has one of the all time classic lead duels in the metal genre. They way they combine fast, technical leads using both pentatonic and classical scales is genius.

Geez. Duane and Dickey are kind of the originals, no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6up076lSH8

Holy Crap - I just noticed in the video at 4:13, Betts doesn't stop playing the breakdown chord at the right time and Duane looks at him like "WTF, Dude?" I had heard that Duane didn't like messups. I wouldn't want him looking at me like that.

You can't mention Mr. Haynes enough time. At least He deserves one for the Allmans, another for Gov't Mule. Cheers... Bence

And a third time for Dickies' better solo stuff, Pattern Disruptive frinstance, Mule was basically his band.

rct

As has been said, pretty much any two guitarist playing in ABB at any given time....

And a specific for Haynes/Trucks.

I used to be like your standard Allman Bros guitar fan, like "Dickey Betts wasn't really that great." Now I know how incredible the guy really was for the times and for the music that was being played.

[thumbup]

I used to be like your standard Allman Bros guitar fan, like "Dickey Betts wasn't really that great." Now I know how incredible the guy really was for the times and for the music that was being played.

[thumbup]

I realize that Mr. Betts is one most often stressing that Duane "...considered him his equal..", but I think it's true that he did. And when I listen to them, I feel like it is. I think Duanes leadership and amazing slide tend to overshadow Betts in the public perception, but when it comes to actual guitar playing and what WAS played, Betts is truly amazing.

I also remember reading a quote from Derek Trucks that the most amazing solo he ever heard was Betts.

I think also that if you take JESSICA and BLUE SKY and go back from there, his personal style compared to Duane's starts to show itself, and it becomes a little more apparent how much of the typical ABB sound has as much of him in it as it does Duane. One thing I would suspect at the same time is how much of each other rubbed off, as young guitarist often do.

It really isn't my business or place to say, but I think in reference to "the times" and where we are today has everything to do with the bottle. The film "Crazy Heart" really tells the story. Even though it isn't based on him, I think it hits home, especially for anyone who knows someone in that place.

[thumbup]

He wrote a genre of music with Revival, first song on second side of first record.

He went on to write their sound, a sound that nobody has ever copped.

After Duane and Berry passed, he made them a band again, because Gregg was finished.

After Eat A Peach came out, their contract was up. He single handedly negotiated not only a higher percentage to the writers and the band, but he was the first to negotiate full ownership of all of the material remaining in the hands of the writers, in his own words, "the owners". Phil Walden was about to screw them into the floor by taking ownership of their material. Many many many thousands of artists have him to thank and they don't even know it.

When the 25th came around, it was his house that the other three met, it was him that got them back together, it was him that made them realize what they had.

In all the years I saw them guys, when Gregg was too <fill in whatever> to sing, Richard sang everything. When Gregg was too <fill in whatever> to play, Richard took another solo, or had Chuck go on piano again, or had Willie or Rick or whomever do some bass stuff to cover the song that the crowd expected.

When they went on the road later on, he made sure each of the four had their own bus if they wanted, made sure there was accomodations for everyone, because The Allmans, a band that wasn't even his name, was bigger than all of them. He was the only one that knew that, remembered that, and respected that.

When the time came for Gregg and Butch to take ownership again, after all these decades, Richard was a gentleman, he preferred to NOT put their stuff out in public, he felt that it should be handled quietly by them, no matter what the outcome. Fact was, Richard wanted to record, Gregg and Butch wanted to just tour the same records endlessly. Richard was a prolific writer, had material for the next record as they were recording the current one, that kinda guy. They fired him, publicly and wrongly, after they sold the tickets to the next round of shows, and my like 51st o 52nd or so time seeing them was the last time, and the only time I ever saw them without him.

I love that guy.

rct

He wrote a genre of music with Revival, first song on second side of first record.

He went on to write their sound, a sound that nobody has ever copped.

After Duane and Berry passed, he made them a band again, because Gregg was finished.

After Eat A Peach came out, their contract was up. He single handedly negotiated not only a higher percentage to the writers and the band, but he was the first to negotiate full ownership of all of the material remaining in the hands of the writers, in his own words, "the owners". Phil Walden was about to screw them into the floor by taking ownership of their material. Many many many thousands of artists have him to thank and they don't even know it.

When the 25th came around, it was his house that the other three met, it was him that got them back together, it was him that made them realize what they had.

In all the years I saw them guys, when Gregg was too <fill in whatever> to sing, Richard sang everything. When Gregg was too <fill in whatever> to play, Richard took another solo, or had Chuck go on piano again, or had Willie or Rick or whomever do some bass stuff to cover the song that the crowd expected.

When they went on the road later on, he made sure each of the four had their own bus if they wanted, made sure there was accomodations for everyone, because The Allmans, a band that wasn't even his name, was bigger than all of them. He was the only one that knew that, remembered that, and respected that.

When the time came for Gregg and Butch to take ownership again, after all these decades, Richard was a gentleman, he preferred to NOT put their stuff out in public, he felt that it should be handled quietly by them, no matter what the outcome. Fact was, Richard wanted to record, Gregg and Butch wanted to just tour the same records endlessly. Richard was a prolific writer, had material for the next record as they were recording the current one, that kinda guy. They fired him, publicly and wrongly, after they sold the tickets to the next round of shows, and my like 51st o 52nd or so time seeing them was the last time, and the only time I ever saw them without him.

I love that guy.

rct

^^^THIS^^^ is good insight and I think tells the truth, for the most part.

Regardless of the situation and how it came to be "public" and fall apart, it was Dickey who carried the weight and became a "leader", and at the same time, not being "the leader". He really took care of business AND kept the thing going. It is good to recognize the role he played, and how much he means to the band and what they have, even now.

While I hate to say it, Dickey really WAS falling apart though. It was truly awful the shape he was in, and what it was doing to the rest. The best way to hide it might have been what went down? I can't answer that.

I have heard it said by Dickey that one thing he feels dissed from is the fact that he carried the band when THEY were too drunk to function, and he feels the favor wasn't returned (direct quote wasn't exactly that, but that's how I read it...and I get it). A lot of it has to do with the fact that the band is now in sobriety, and he isn't.

From what I know, I am thinking the most "accurate" simple way to put it is that Dickey IS an amazing talent, and has it in him, but it's been truly wasted by the bottle. It doesn't take away from his achievements, but it certainly IS effecting what he can do now. That is, he did it to himself (or rather, the bottle does it). Also true that it did the same for Greg, but he was carried by Dickey when it went down.

Archived