Gibson Brands Forums

Protecting an autographed guitar

Typhoon Will

The nitrocellulose lacquer may absorb enough of the ink from the marker to make it fairly permanent, depending on the indelibility of the ink. For future autograph ops, I would recommend having the pickguard signed. That way, you can store the signed pickguard in a safe place and buy a second pickguard to protect the guitar. Plus carrying a pickguard around to have it autographed is a lot easier and safer than hauling the guitar around to get it signed.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My LP DC is signed behind the tailpiece, with a sharpie back in 2004 and never had any issues, mind you I bought the guitar purposefully to have it signed and dont play it that much

also might be an idea to look into those transparent film protector type products to save nail marks etc..

http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/oasis-guitar-armor-static-cling-finish-protector-oh-4930.html

I had Joe Bonamassa sign my LP between the tuners on the back of the head stock (least touched part of the guitar) and I had him sign the truss rod cover.

BTW Joe Bonamassa gives a "life time" warranty on his signatures.

I heard him tell one person that had him sign the body of the guitar and mumble about it rubbing off.

Joe's answer was: "if it ever rubs off or fades away, come back and see me and I'll resign it, it has a 'life time' warranty"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had Joe Bonamassa sign my LP between the tuners on the back of the head stock (least touched part of the guitar) and I had him sign the truss rod cover.

BTW Joe Bonamassa gives a "life time" warranty on his signatures.

I heard him tell one person that had him sign the body of the guitar and mumble about it rubbing off.

Joe's answer was: "if it ever rubs off or fades away, come back and see me and I'll resign it, it has a 'life time' warranty"

Well I'm going to the Albert Hall next year so I'll test that, My scratch plate was smudged by my hand when I had it still on the guitar (Now removed)

Hope fully I'll have no problems organising the Meet with the PA..

• 7 years later...

Spray some clear poly over it. I kid I kid. Yeah you should have had him sign in a place you rarely touch like take the pickguard off and sign on the bottom, or under the control cavity cover, or back of the headstock.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper