Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Beatles Song!

retrorod

And Your Bird Can Sing. For today at least. One of my faves since my teens, and even if my favourite Beatles track really depends on my mood, this is one which presents itself regularly. Classically Lennon went on record to say that it was pure nonsense and a throwaway song. I beg to differ.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

, in vino veritas.....

yes quite true..hic

soz ppl but if you missed it last time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4p8qxGbpOk&feature=player_embedded

how great do you wanna get?..Lennon's cool...Macca's improvised yells...Harrisons dirty digs at Macca

I once started reading a paperback on popular music..by some hack or other.. it started with the dissemination of a theory that this song was a load of sh!te..

I left the book in a Thailand toilet

The Beatles

Yea Yea Yea

Wow, PM, that's a pretty thoughtful choice.

There are so many absolute gems in their catalog that I throw up my hands. They may have been a pop band, but they wrote and performed an awful lot of great music that evolved dramatically over a very short time.

I remember the uneasy shift to "Revolver", and then the dramatic, mind-blowing move that was "Rubber Soul". It may seem quaint to those who didn't live through it, but the Beatles always seemed to be just one step further along on the musical journey.

Their evolution made a lot of people uncomfortable, as you sometimes had to take a bit of a leap of faith to follow them.

Yes, there is a certain amount of aboslute nonsense like "Yellow Submarine" and "Octopus's Garden", but then you have "A Day in the Life" to offset that stuf

I thought "yellow submarine" [confused] was brilliant

"Ticket to Ride" would be near the top of my "least favorite Beatles' song list, just because it was one of the few songs of theirs that was written for a particular dance beat. (Anybody else remember "The Jerk", dance style from 1964?)

I got to really like Ticket to Ride when we began to play it..My drummer brother though a nasty character was a good drummer..Was powerfull sounding . : )

We once did Ticket To Ride as an extra. 3 Rickenbackers on stage – 6 and 12 string electric and bass – while our keyboard-player danced around like a tambourine wizard, , , plus 15.000 in the audience. Nice way to spend a sunny day.

What I tried to post in my failed post #52, was this little thing, which I wouldn't wanna do without -

It all started for me in 1971...

As some of you know I live in Bulgaria. The country in this period was in the communist block and every western ray of pop culture was dangerous...

My grandpa was a phisician and has just returned from Algeria where he staied five years with grandma and my oncle and worked there. It hapened that my oncle learned to play guitar and brought from Algeria a big bag full of Beatles albums...

We even had no gramophone to listen to the records so my oncle took one from the neighborhood... I was a ten year old boy and I did not know a single word in english.

And then I heard "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da".....

I was so exscited and fascinated by that song that I started to copy the lyrics from the poster inside the White Album and started to try to sing the song. I did not know what those words mean, but nobody arround knew...

This is the moment that turned my life into the music - "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da"

Several years after I started to learn to play guitar and many times tried to learn and sing this song but I never did learn well...

But as to the question about my favourite Beatles song - this is WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaY7TwMBHuc

To add my own eleven cents to the discussion (inflation!):

Beatles were a rock 'n' roll band who, yes, were marketed as a boy band. However - and it's a big however -- the Beatles were a great accident in modern music. It turned out they had two amazing songwriters in the group and when given the rope they made the most of it. No one saw it coming in 1962. Not even them.

To choose one: well, considering it's early Saturday morning here, the answer is clearly: I've Just Seen A Face.

I've heard it ten thousand times and it never gets old. Just pure joy done quickly.

Think of how many great songs would be even better if they were quick. No long intro, no chorus repeated five times at the end. No mandatory long solo...just in and out, so you have to play it again if you want to hear more.

Beatles were a rock 'n' roll band who, yes, were marketed as a boy band

hahaah.. yippee

soz I can't leave it alone =P~

boy bands didn;t exist.... how could they be marketed as such!!!!!!... phew man...

it was indeed a marvelous accident.. they invented it... it was 2 years in their career..and as everyone knows ..they had been playing Hamburg and Liverpool clubs for years..( skiffle and rock n roll mainly.. very little blues )

night clubs.. no 12 yr old girls

awwww soz.. but ....feck it ! ](*,)

Teen idols were a-plenty. Cliff Richard...in the States, Fabian, Frankie Avalon, Bobby Darin, Elvis for that matter.

Look at the clips of the Ed Sullivan Show... mostly shrieking teens and pre-teens.

Who figured a pop act would have more than 18 months in them? Who thought adults would care about "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah."

It wasn't to the level of today's painstaking research and manicuring, but there was a reason Mr. Epstein put them in those suits.

The Beatles quickly asserted themselves and became pop writers for other acts. They wrote for a swimming pool. Nothing wrong with it. There was heavy artistry there from the near-beginning, but that's no guarantee of anything.

The Casbah (not sure of the Cavern) was a teen club.

As for "All Together Now," lovely left-field pick. Or maybe it's just left-field to me, since Yellow Submarine was one of those albums I didn't get until much later, since I never felt like paying full price for an album with just four songs I didn't already have.

Seems like it's time to define the term, BOYBAND.

You won't hear me in the choir.
Fact is that Beatles was it all. It even became some sort of goal for them to cover, if not all, then the most. Lennon later said
:

If you listen, you'll find it all. It's like a flower, , everything is there.

Go from Till There Was You to my post # 59 and get the range. Commercial, , , of course, they wanted a platform and soon discovered it was within reach.

But what always irritated me a bit, was Zappa's We're Only In It For The Money parody. Not because the Fab should be beyond satire, but because Sgt. Pep. was a daring album that challenged the norm in many ways. Beside changing name, they changed look and style into something much more difficult. There was no obvious pop-pot-boiler and as I recall it, they didn't even put out a single (in Europe anyway, let me know what happened in US).

John gave Frank the hammer for this some 4 years on by hi-jacking the tapes from their co-concert, renaming one of the tunes and releasing the jam on Some Time In New York City.

Franklyzapped.png

Seems like it's time to define the term, BOYBAND.

You won't hear me in the choir.

Fact is that Beatles was it all. It even became some sort of goal for them to cover, if not all, then the most. Lennon later said
:

If you listen, you'll find it all. It's like a flower, , everything is there.

Go from Till There Was You to my post # 59 and get the range. Commercial, , , of course, they wanted a platform and soon discovered it was within reach.

But what always irritated me a bit, was Zappa's We're Only In It For The Money parody. Not because the Fab should be beyond satire, but because Sgt. Pep. was a daring album that challenged the norm in many ways. Beside changing name, they changed look and style into something much more difficult. There was no obvious pop-pot-boiler and as I recall it, they didn't even put out a single (in Europe anyway, let me know what happened in US).

John gave Frank the hammer for this some 4 years on by hi-jacking the tapes from their co-concert, renaming one of the tunes and releasing the jam on Some Time In New York City.

Franklyzapped.png

Frank Zappa was the ParlourMan of his day......

Gibs - That solo is fantastic. I knew it and have been wondering if it was right to mute it back then.

Though the performance is good, I think Martin or whoever did right. Made the song more timeless.

I agree, but part of that might also be that we have spent the last 40 years listening to it the way it was finally released.

To paraphrase Ratty, "there is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as messing around on a mixing board."

This is a pretty good example of how the individual elements--which may in and of themselves be rather ordinary--are put together by a good engineer and a great producer to create timeless recordings.

Magic.

It all started for me in 1971...

As some of you know I live in Bulgaria. The country in this period was in the communist block and every western ray of pop culture was dangerous...

My grandpa was a phisician and has just returned from Algeria where he staied five years with grandma and my oncle and worked there. It hapened that my oncle learned to play guitar and brought from Algeria a big bag full of Beatles albums...

We even had no gramophone to listen to the records so my oncle took one from the neighborhood... I was a ten year old boy and I did not know a single word in english.

And then I heard "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da".....

I was so exscited and fascinated by that song that I started to copy the lyrics from the poster inside the White Album and started to try to sing the song. I did not know what those words mean, but nobody arround knew...

This is the moment that turned my life into the music - "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da"

Several years after I started to learn to play guitar and many times tried to learn and sing this song but I never did learn well...

But as to the question about my favourite Beatles song - this is WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS

This was such a great story, gave me chills. So many Beatles songs mean so much to me and when I think back to my childhood in the 60's many specific events are tied inexorably with a Beatles song that I was into at the time.

Archived