Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Beatles Song!

retrorod

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a good one, Rod. You can imagine sitting around with a bunch of your buddies playing it. I particularly like the role reversal, with Harrison taking the bass line on the Fender.

But how can you pick a favorite Beatles song? I've got at least a dozen I couldn't choose between. Probably more like 20.

I suppose it's a generational thing. Now PM will jump in and tell us what crap this over-rated boy band was.......

Never mind...

That's a good one, Rod. You can imagine sitting around with a bunch of your buddies playing it. I particularly like the role reversal, with Harrison taking the bass line on the Fender.

But how can you pick a favorite Beatles song? I've got at least a dozen I couldn't choose between. Probably more like 20.

I suppose it's a generational thing. Now PM will jump in and tell us what crap this over-rated boy band was.......

Never mind...

Yeah, Harrison on the Rosewood Tele is class act! Yeah , a bit silly of me to suggest just one! I guess this one brings back a 'summer love' kind of memory for me....and I always loved the way that it 'tumbled and flowed' in and out of the chorus. Aaahhh YeSssssss! I am sure that PM will be all right with it... :)

What a great, but difficult, question. I would have to go with either 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' (If you have not seen the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame version and Prince's amazing solo, then you should find a copy) or 'Rocky Raccoon'

Have to say I can't pick out a single Fab-tune (or Beatle). For me the kaleidoscope (and the 4 of them together) is the clue.

But retro as you know I'll do much for a tango between you and me, the choice will be Flying.

What a heavy tremolo guitar in the beginning of that little acid piece. I have the remastered sterero-box and the whole project sounds good, yet this particular number grooves best in mono – it's a blend thing.

All this said, Here Comes The Sun is one my peaks in music in general. A masterpiece on all levels – Song-smith wise / performance, arrangement and production wise.

Uakk, but there's no Lennon on that track, is there. . .

Therefore Ticket To Ride is thrown in too.

PM, now's your time to confess.

I'm a big Beatle fan, but I think some of my favorites are the Chuck Berry & Carl Perkins tunes they did.

Also, I always appreciated Act Naturally. Even though Buck did not pen that one, it turned me on to the country scene.

Much like the first Animals album turned me on to some the the blues tunes.

Favorite Beatles album - Rubber Soul

What a great, but difficult, question. I would have to go with either 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' (If you have not seen the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame version and Prince's amazing solo, then you should find a copy) or 'Rocky Raccoon'

Prince's solo is one of those classic Rock and Roll moments.

My favorite Beatle song may be Oh Blah Di Blah Dah.

As I think back through my earlier response, I gave two favorites from the same album. So here are a couple more that are right up at the top of my list. "A Day in the Life" and "Let It Be". As a bonus, one of the first songs I learned on guitar "Run for Your Life".

I couldn't pick out just one. I'm a huge Beatles fan. I've covered more than 30 Lennon/McCartney, Lennon, McCartney and Harrison songs so far.

My favorites are the ones that have a twist, a clever invention, modulation or surprise ending. They were always experimenting and pushing the envelope of what was possible.

Of the early ones, All My Loving stands out for me because of:

1. Sublime walking bassline

2. Riveting triples from John's Rick 325

3. George's wonderful double-stop solo.

4. Sheer number of chords

5. Intro on the fifth beat with no instruments at all... only Paul's voice "Close your eyes..."

6. Paul's high harmony on the third verse with George taking on the lead vocal.

of the middle period If I Fell is a favorite because of:

1. The clever sliding scale intro - just John singing with his J160e

2. Then the intricate harmonies throughout the song with that exquisite diminished chord on "hurt my pride like HER"

3. The way they sing in unison on "I must be sure..." and break into harmony again.

4. The last "when she learns we are TWO" resolves into a major D chord instead of the diminished.. which is like a button statement... saying "we are together and there is nothing she can do about it". Subtly intricate weaving of music, lyric and statement for a fantastic effect. Absolutely brilliant songwriting here.

the late period favourite would have to be the whole second side (yes sides of a vinyl LP) of Abbey Road. I think I wore my first vinyl copy out listening to that album over and over again with headphones on lying on my parent's living room floor in front of the HiFi (300lb piece of furniture 8'x2'x3').

The blend of all those pieces culminating in the three way lead guitar battle and the sublime "and in the end...." It also has some of the best rock drumming ever recorded.

The links above are to my covers of the first two songs. Beatles songs are challenging to play and yet are always totally satisfying.

If you think these lads were average musicians... try playing the bassline to "I Saw Her Standing There" or "Day Tripper" while singing the lead vocal. Just try it!

Never mind...

Young, heavy stylised boys playing pop music aimed at teenage girls, totally not a boyband at all, what was I thinking?

Once they grew up and decided to be a real band instead of a corduroy & ankle boot selling machine (post Rubber Soul) they were a fairly reasonable little combo though. For all their success though you have to credit them for remaining grounded, sticking to their roots and even finding time to slot in a good British cuppa tea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2H8ph_FnTE

This one's for me worms......

Much love (It is all you need after all)

PM xx

does anyone else think what a great album this is , one song after another a masterclass in melody and hooks , only to want to fling the record out the window when 'octopus garden' or 'oh bla dee ' or some other peice of sh!te suddenly ruins the experience ?

i'd need to seriously edit the back catalogue to not lose my head !

to the question .... mmm ... 'eleanor rigby' , 'penny lane ' ... maybe ... think its lady madonna though

Real hard question, Rod!

They played the whole range of pop music in their short time as a band - I was 8 years old in 1964 lining up at the airport with the throngs to catch a glimpse of the moptop Liverpool chappies doing their silly version of the Three Stooges Plus One while they wanted to hold our hands???? People near me were dancing round a little transistor radio blaring out one of their tunes.

Not too many years later, I was at the very start of High School when asked to a party - doubt if I had ever been to one of those parties before - and the stereo at this party was seemingly gigantic (probably 5 watts) and blaring out the latest Beatles: "Revolution". Stunning, even for the times...and everybody at the party were literally stunned. Very, very, very different from Hold Your Hand stuff

So I will say 'Revolution', then close second with 'Come Together' but well, plenty of others...

BluesKing777.

Maybe it is because I grew up listening to the Beatles but I would have a real tough time picking one favorite song. I could say "Help" but then "Another Girl" pops into my head followed by "I've Just Seen a Face" and so on and so on. You might as well ask me which one of my kids I prefer over the next.

I actually dont have one, never really got into them that much frankly.

Then there was two! *

* This is despite the heavy disclaimer I posted when Beatlegate started saying that I was a huge Beatles fan, had all (yes all) the back catalogue, had watched Anthology in its entirety many times, collected unofficial stuff the works, had previously owned several of the same guitars... but no amount of Beatle appreciation allows you to call a boyband an actual boyband on guitar forums it would appear. How ironic that diversity of opinion seems to be actively discouraged on a 'discussion' forum.

Then there was two! *

* This is despite the heavy disclaimer I posted when Beatlegate started saying that I was a huge Beatles fan, had all (yes all) the back catalogue, had watched Anthology in its entirety many times, collected unofficial stuff the works, had previously owned several of the same guitars... but no amount of Beatle appreciation allows you to call a boyband an actual boyband on guitar forums it would appear. How ironic that diversity of opinion seems to be actively discouraged on a 'discussion' forum.

Boooooo

get over PM you were wrong

hhaa..I am drinking wine..so will not get into anything and bore that trousers off other esteemed guests.. thats you Hairy Dave

( I have just finished reading another of |Greg Palasts books..The Vultures Picnic... an American journalist who had to move to Blighty to get his stuff published and find a job...thankfully that is now changing.. nothing to do with Gibson guitsar..but maybe thats why I can feel no love for bankers at the present...

HEY

I'm just playing on the interweb man xx )

get over PM you were wrong

Oh Del, are you sure you don't want to go back and improve this post? fairly poor..... I'm a little disappointed. It doesn't even make sense, clarity my boy, we need clarity...

hhaa..I am drinking wine.. ..but maybe thats why I can feel no love for bankers at the present...

I think we're getting somewhere now, in vino veritas..... Not your finest hour I'm afraid, Del... Feel free to try again though. I'm here all day....

Archived