Gibson Brands Forums

Reverb Tank Recommendation

mistafeeze

Just bought a used USA made Blues Jr amp and evidently the reverb tank is no good. I see there are some choices in buying a replacement one and before just making an off the cuff decision, I thought I would check here. Any recommendations? Anything I should definitely avoid?

Oh, and yes I did do a quick search in forums and didn't find anything at first glance... [flapper]

Just bought a used USA made Blues Jr amp and evidently the reverb tank is no good. I see there are some choices in buying a replacement one and before just making an off the cuff decision, I thought I would check here. Any recommendations? Anything I should definitely avoid?

Oh, and yes I did do a quick search in forums and didn't find anything at first glance... [flapper]

Get a pedal.

Dang...I knew I should have taken electrical shop in junior high instead of drafting...ok off to Radio Shack to buy a continuity meter. I've owned this amp for 3 weeks now and have used it for a total of 5 minutes. First discovered a broken power tube, then blew a fuse after getting new tubes, and now this.

I should just stick with acoustic! Thanks all for your help and recommendations...I think I'll give the existing unit a look before replacing it. But I do want the spring reverb to work and not use a pedal just on principle! :)

I should just stick with acoustic! Thanks all for your help and recommendations...I think I'll give the existing unit a look before replacing it. But I do want the spring reverb to work and not use a pedal just on principle! :)

solemate.jpg

everything IS plugged in & grounded correctly, right?

you're sure it's not just a dirty/bad potientiometer?

verb tanks are fairly simple and usually trouble free.....and Mr Jaxson is right, Fender branded tanks are hard to beat IF that's the type (flavor?) of reverb you want.

I wish all I had to deal with is troubleshooting a reverb tank or deciding to by an aftermarket replacement vs those pedals someone linked - which by the way are pretty dang cool! Never seen or heard of those before and thought they were all digital reverb pedals. Sorry for the noob statement, but I've been acoustic until very recently.

This amp has ended up being more trouble than what it's worth. I definitely have more issues than just the tank. One of the power tubes won't glow (brand new, matched pair). Switched the tubes and the glow followed the tube. So I thought I had a bad tube. Replaced the bad tube with another one that I know works and the same result. Unfortunately I don't have another amp to test the tubes out, but it seems apparent to me that the problem isn't the tubes but the amp itself. About freaked me out when at my last attempt of swapping tubes back and forth (off and unplugged of course) I got white lightning running through one of the tubes, followed by a flash on the fuse. Changed out the fuse, but white lightning again so I said screw it, I'm taking this thing to a tech.

I just don't want to be in more than what the amp is worth. Supposedly it's the last year Fender made this amp in the USA which is appealing and I don't really want to scrap it, but I'm hoping this thing isn't going to be more than $100 to fix, including a new reverb tank if that's what it needs...

Archived