Gibson Brands Forums

Best Garage/yard sale, pawnshop guitar story????

onewilyfool

I personally don't have one, BUT my friend got a Guild D-55 at a garage sale for $150.00!!!! I almost fell over. I immediately offered him DOUBLE what he paid, and he wouldn't do it!!!!!.....Locally on CL these sell for between $1500 to 2000 bucks....and his was in Excellent condition (saddle just a little low) What are your unbelievable finds???

No guitars, but I snagged two Orvis bamboo flyrods and a bamboo Philipson for $300, sold one of the Orvis rods for $800 the next day, that was a good day. [cool] My wife sold my favorite most comfortable old corduroy sportcoat at a neighbors yard sale. That wasn't a good day. [cursing]

This ios not about the steal of it concerning price but where & who found it.

My brother is a big Tony Iommi fan...he is a lefty as well..

One day he walks into a pawn shop on Sutphin Blvd ..(between Jamaica & Hillside Avenues)..where we lived & grew up ( Jamaica Queens NY)..and he see's this BC Rich Guitar with the crosses up on the wall..lefty..wait a minute,I know whos guitar that is..

So he bought it for $300 some odd dollars.

He writes to Tony Iommi and thinking it might have been nicked to end up down by Jamaica Avenue,so he offered to send it to him.

He got a letter from Mr.Iommi saying it had been stolen a while back but its ok he could keep it & thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F54QMKmWhJI

Gotta say through those Boogies/Laneys...and those odd ball guitars,his sound is just terrible.

Like Santana, they both sounded so much better through Gibson Electric Guitars with PAFs or P90's and in Iommis case a good direct wired Marshall Amplifier.

I've told this here before I think. I bought a 1958 Fender Bassman 4;10 combo at a garage sale for $10.00 many years ago. It had no speakers, a home-made baffle for a single 15, had been recovered poorly, and also had a dead lizard in it.

I sold it to a guy on the Fender forums for $ 1000 and he had it re-stored and it's now worth a LOT.

Pictures are gone, it was 3 computers ago....

Heck yea.... [thumbup]

In 1984 I was at a junk shop and there was a funky looking semi-hollow that had been painted red with gold sparkles. It was rough. I saw an 'F' on the trapeze tailpiece, flipped it over, saw an 'F' on the neck plate and 'Fs' on the tuners.... price was $49.99. I bought. Turned out to be a 1967 Fender Coronado. I stripped it and refinished it blonde. They had painted the headstock as well but I was able to sand the red off, revealing the black faced headstock with logo.

Later that year I received a phone call from a friend saying "You oughta go to the pawn shop, they've got one of those Guy Lomabardo guitars you like". Turned out to be a 1955 ES-295, stripped of all finish. It had a non-original raised diamond tailpiece and a generic Japanese roller bridge. Price? $100. I refinished it with a gold TOP and walnut sides and back... I didn't realize they were supposed to be all gold.

In 1986 a friend bought a 60s Japanese Beatle Bass copy and a blackface Fender Pro (no reverb) with one 15" for $25 at a yard sale. I promptly relieved him of the Pro.

I probably have more but I don't feel so well right now....

This goes back a ways but I snagged stuff like a Surpro Thunderbolt amp and a 1930s Stella 12 string guitar for $5 each. Back when I lived in Mississippi though I used to help out a local pawn shop (the owner pops up now and then on that Cajun Pawn Stars show) doing setups and small repairs on guitars and amps. My pay was I got first crack at anything he got in. If I bided my time and the stuff hung around the store unsold long enough I pretty much could get it at just a tad over they paid for it. I picked up a Silvertone guitar with the amp in the case, an early 1980s G&L G-200 (only about 200 were ever made) and an early 1970s flat back, spruce top Guild D-25 for around $200 each.

Best story though remains a guitar a friend of mine scored about two years ago. It was a pawn shop out in western Kansas. He came home with an early 1950s Fender Esquire for which he paid $175. Hard to imagaine any store in this day and age not knowing what they had but these guys were apparently clueless. They thought it was a modern reliced knock off or something.

In the early 70's I picked up a used Stratocaster off the used guitar rack at a local music store for $199. I had to borrow some of the money from both my sister and my best friend, for my coffee can of lawn mowing and skate sharpening money wasn't "heavy" enough.

I could only afford an old used guitar, but at least it was a "real" brand name guitar (I was playing a "Lyle" brand SG copy at the time). A couple of years later the "vintage" guitar craze hit, and I realized what I had bought was a 1960 Stratocaster.

Still have it.

Not a yard sale find, but I did buy my 1948-50 J-45--well used, with no case--off the wall of a music store in Jackson, Mississippi in November of 1966. Paid $50, which I had to borrow from my sister, as I was an impoverished 19-year old college student without a penny to my name.

Best $50 I ever spent, hands down. God rest you, Sis.

Not a yard sale find, but I did buy my 1948-50 J-45--well used, with no case--off the wall of a music store in Jackson, Mississippi in November of 1966. Paid $50, which I had to borrow from my sister, as I was an impoverished 19-year old college student without a penny to my name.

i bet youre glad you had to borrow the money nick , makes that story much sweeter , be a hell of a pawn shop tale to beat yours

i bet youre glad you had to borrow the money nick , makes that story much sweeter , be a hell of a pawn shop tale to beat yours

My sister insisted on going back to the music store with me to look at it before giving me the money. The guitar wasn't a pretty sight: a bit beaten up for being only 16-18 years old. Several loose braces that buzzed when you strummed it, and a pickup wire hole through the side.

But is was a J-45, and it was all mine.

My sister insisted on going back to the music store with me to look at it before giving me the money. The guitar wasn't a pretty sight: a bit beaten up for being only 16-18 years old. Several loose braces that buzzed when you strummed it, and a pickup wire hole through the side.

But is was a J-45, and it was all mine.

sisters just plain rule ...

seems like it was money WELL spent

Years and years ago, I spent some time trying to track down what was reportedly Charlie Patton's guitar in Jackson, MS. The story was it had been bought by Patton in NYC in 1935 and had last seen hanging on the wall of a beauty shop where one of his kin worked. The shop had closed down but I did hear that a jumbo Stella with a pearloid fingerboard had indeed been there but had been sold off when the place closed.

This goes back a ways but I snagged stuff like a Surpro Thunderbolt amp and a 1930s Stella 12 string guitar for $5 each. Back when I lived in Mississippi though I used to help out a local pawn shop (the owner pops up now and then on that Cajun Pawn Stars show) doing setups and small repairs on guitars and amps. My pay was I got first crack at anything he got in. If I bided my time and the stuff hung around the store unsold long enough I pretty much could get it at just a tad over they paid for it. I picked up a Silvertone guitar with the amp in the case, an early 1980s G&L G-200 (only about 200 were ever made) and an early 1970s flat back, spruce top Guild D-25 for around $200 each.

Best story though remains a guitar a friend of mine scored about two years ago. It was a pawn shop out in western Kansas. He came home with an early 1950s Fender Esquire for which he paid $175. Hard to imagaine any store in this day and age not knowing what they had but these guys were apparently clueless. They thought it was a modern reliced knock off or something.

Wow..that wins it.

I don't have any guitar stories but I do have this gem:

A neighbor decided that his GI-issued M1 Garand held too many memories and that he wanted to part with it. I was only about 8 but he GAVE it to me. It was all original with a 30-06 cartridge mounted in the bolt. The barrel had been sealed on it. My mom promptly sold it in a yard sale for a whopping $10 [scared].

Now for some guitar stories. They're not my stories but they're from a friend in New York.

A buddy of mine found a Gibson Explorer listed for sale for about $200. He went and bought it. He still has that 1990's Custom Shop Korina Explorer to this day :).

That same friend went to a yard sale and picked up a Gibson SG for $100. He still owns that 1964 SG Special to this day, as well ;).

I'm not too sure how he acquired this one but he also has an original 1960 Les Paul Custom [drool] . Apparently, Gibson confirmed it as being one of only 3 in the world -1 confirmed as destroyed, 1 MIA. I'm not too sure what was so special about it... I know it had to do with the 3 pickups, no bigsby and something about the top but I can't put my finger on what. I BELIEVE it was that the guitar had a mahogany top on it, no maple, with a black finish but, again, I'm not too sure... That makes me want to call him and ask him about it again...

Regards,

Bobby

That's makes me feel ill, I'm in Western Kansas.

1965 Gibson B-25n.

Purchased around 1980 from a dealer for $150.

Lifting plastic bridge must've scared him.

Played that wonderful little guy for over 20 years.

Traded it in 2001 for my J100-Xtra.

(Purchased a '66 Epi Cortez to renew that sweet B-25 vibe!)

I bought my '56 LG2 from a Gibson geek who gave me a nice price on an issue free guitar. He was always in an especially good mood when I spoke to him and as always, I ask why he was selling the LG. He's a tour de pawn shop guy roaming the Memphis/Nashville area and happened to find a buy on a '53 J45 which he thought was a decent deal at 3G. As he wandered around the shop he spotted a near mint late 40's J45 leaning in a corner. When he flipped the hang tag it read an absurd $139.99. Though he was tapped out from the first buy he flashed his cc and bought that too. I swear I could hear his grin over the phone. I wonder if some employee got his arse handed to him over that f'up.

Some guys have all the luck. I can't even win a poker hand.

I hit garage sales throughout the spring and summer looking for stuff I can roll (primarily guitars/amps and hi-fi gear).Almost all of it are low end items-Squier Strats, cheap Ibanez guitars etc-decent moneymakers, but not keepers. However, my best find in recent years was a early '55 Gibson LG-3 (small pg/19 fret neck) with period hard case for $30.00.Tuners had the usual crumble-itis and it had a couple of cracks, but was quite clean.

But how do you pay someone back for a simple gesture that in some ways impacts on the rest of your life?

I truly think the answer here is to pass the kindness on. It could be a total stranger, a child, a foe perhaps.....

The picking was good here in NJ over the past 20 years...getting sparse lately

just off the top of my head:

'52 L7C $300 (yard sale)

'36 Rickenbacher Model B lap steel $100 (yard sale)

'56 Magnatone 260 amp (with true vibrato!) $35 (yard sale)

'29 Gibson PG1 (plectrum guitar) $25 (yard sale)

'7? Hiwatt DR103 Head and Cab $200 (yard sale)

'60 Fender Tweed deluxe $20 (rummage sale)

'20-something Stella 6 string Grand Concert (faux Rosewood) $25 (antique shop)

'65 SG Standard stripped with orig case $15 (yard sale)

'66 Ampeg B15 head $free (on the curb)

'49 LG2 $100(EBAY!!)

Most were in fine or easily restorable condition.

Archived