Gibson Brands Forums

I know this is just a matter of taste.......

onewilyfool

I know this is just a pet peeve type of thing, .......but.......I've NEVER seen a Gibson Flat-top model that looks good with a cut-away (except the CF-100).....Cut-away Dove??? Cutaway J-200???? It just DOES NOT look good on a Gibson! I know, I know, the cut-away IS very functional for those of us that get that far up the neck, I grsant you that, but on a GIBSON, it just looks funny to my eyes! No offence to those who have them, just not my cup of VISUAL tea...I'm just speaking visually.

I likes the "C" in the "L-5C", or "L-7C".

And I likes the "C" in the "CES". Like in "Super 400 CES". Heck yea I wanna see the "C". Where's my checkbook?

But on flat-tops, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Even if I could, I wouldn't want to play up there. It doesn't makes sense, sound wise. At the same time, it also seems like there is a significant piece of the guitar missing, and if it's a flat-top, the same reasoms you want to play the flat-top is the same reasoms you want that missing piece back.

So, to me the "looks" of a traditional flat-top with a cutaway is that of a compromise, and one that suggest you COULD do something that you actually don't want to do.

I am kinda getting used to the look, but I expect a discount on the price.

I have never been one for cut outs - Taylor make so many of them.

Some models suit them others dont.

I cant imagine a J-45 cut out.

Must....resist...resist...Taylorbashing...help...

(voice of conscionce kicks in...say something nice)

"Taylors work good with a cutaway, it doesn't seem to effect the tone so much".

Amen, Stein. Plus, Taylors are like the girl you take home to meet your parents. Nice girls. Gibsons are those girls you take to the bar. Choose wisely, grasshopper. [thumbup]

I don't like the cutaways on guitars. Doesn't mean I won't one day buy one (own a couple of cheaper ones), but I tend to like guitars that are 100% there, instead of 75%....

I know this is just a pet peeve type of thing, .......but.......I've NEVER seen a Gibson Flat-top model that looks good with a cut-away (except the CF-100).....Cut-away Dove??? Cutaway J-200???? It just DOES NOT look good on a Gibson! I know, I know, the cut-away IS very functional for those of us that get that far up the neck, I grsant you that, but on a GIBSON, it just looks funny to my eyes! No offence to those who have them, just not my cup of VISUAL tea...I'm just speaking visually.

OWF ,

I don't even like the CF-100 !!!!!!!

JC

Visually I don't care for cutaways on flat-tops,

but I really need that access for chords up the neck.

Which has led to a love affair with hollow & semi-hollow electrics,

preferably with P90s, a la Merle Travis tone.

The acoustics don't get pulled out nearly as much anymore,

but still gotta hear them every now & then.

Oh MY! I could have written this thread.... I do NOT like cut-aways on flat tops, (although I LOVE them on Arch Tops).

To me... you just took away 10-15% of the sound!

Besides, I don't play up there much anyway.

Taylor guitars? Can you can "Vespa" to Gibson's "Harley" or Martin's "Indian"?

Lots of bashing, but I doubt very much anyone could detect any loss of tone/volume on an acoustic with a cutaway. I have two that I like very much - a H&D CM custom and a Guild D-40 NT CE. Both have loads of power and tone. Being able to access the upper frets is very advantageous. And I think they look great.

th_2007_0322Image0035.jpg

th_2005_0403Image0042-1.jpg

L5..Venetian Cutaway ..Florentine Cutaway..best looking guitar they is..

Most acoustic guitars are not as good looking as Gibsons acoustics..so when you put a cutaway on a Gibson it looks wrong. A cutaway on others isnt as odd/obviously wrong cause they weren't as good looking to begin with.

Id like a cutaway on a Lowden cause I feel I need to get up there..but the additional $1000 to do it is a bit,well..hard to do.

Not my cosmetic cup of tea either, but I think if I was a performing artist and interested in a little glitz, I would not hesitate to use a cutaway Songwriter..they all sound great to me.

A lot of you brought up L-5's and I agree, on an arch top, they seem to work. Also, CF-100 was the very first Gibson flat=top that had the cut-away, so is historical in some respects, AND, being a smaller guitar, the cut-away seems more in proportion. The reason I started this thread, was I was on Musicisian's friend website, and chose Gibson/acoustic/most expensive to least expensive, and I saw Doves, J-200's with cutaways, seriously, I didn't know they even existed!!!! In my eyes, they just look weird! I mean, a cutaway J-200....go look for yourself. Most pages have both versions and the cut-away just doesn't cut it IMHO.

DSCN0136.jpg

Must....resist...resist...Taylorbashing...help...

(voice of conscionce kicks in...say something nice)

"Taylors work good with a cutaway, it doesn't seem to effect the tone so much".

No Taylor bashing, just an observation. Still, for some reason I

never got to owning one.

Taylor guitars? Can you can "Vespa" to Gibson's "Harley" or Martin's "Indian"?

See to me that's just mental, of all three the only one I would consider admitting to owning/riding/trying would be the vespa, a well decked out vespa is like a ferrari when yer out on the roads.. a Harley, well, it just makes me think of people who only need small trousers around the middle.

All my Gibbys are dreads with no cut away, but there is a use for cut away guitars and I put that to good use on my Yamaha Compass cutaway, I use it for slide. When you play slide you want access to the upper frets.

Archived