Gibson Brands Forums

Suggestion box for the production guys at Gibson....

onewilyfool

I own several Gibby's and have noticed a few things, which I think could improve the products. AGAIN, not Gibson bashing, just suggestions. I LOVE my gibbons, and think the Bozeman production guys and gals are making some of the best Gibby's in the history of the company!

1. As previously mentioned in many posts, PLEASE install the pick guards like they did in the old days, showing more of the rosette. I can't believe it takes any more time or effort to install it showing the rosette???

2. On J-200's the ones with the double MOP ribbons on the mustache bridge..... PLEASE over set the neck during assembly so that there is more saddle showing and more break angle, so that the first time you have to shave the saddle to lower the action, you don't have to get a neck reset!

3. PLEASE get rid of the rather large truss rod adjusting nut. I know this is traditional, but after talking to many luthiers, Many feel it makes the neck joint weaker and prone to breaking. A modern truss rod with the smaller allen wrench adjusting tool would leave more "meat" to the neck wood and would be a stronger design.

4. Another neck strengthening design change would be to thicken the headstock paddle at the junction where it meets the neck. THEN, the paddle could be "tapered" like on the old style headstocks, which is such a cool look.

5. Put a quality control "detail" guy at the END of the assembly, to pick up the small "fit and finish" items that seem to get past the assembly process.

Any more suggestions from the forum regulars??

Let's see, did you happen to mention

PROPERLY MOUNT THE ******* PICKGUARD?

Oh yes, you did.

Thank you.

***MOD NOTE - The Gibson forums are intended for users of all ages, please take this into consideration when posting and use common sense and don't post explicit profanity.***

Sorry mod. Let me rephrase that to GOSH-DARN PICKGUARD?

1) setup a legitimate suggestion box for your customer base.

2) cease with the bolstering of already wealthy pockets via sig models and release gibson classic models (which appears to be what everyone wants anyway) sans sig and sans the premium added for a sig that is rarely wanted anyway.

3) offer a larger range of finishes without forcing someone to go a custom route and pay the associated premium.

4) Actually listen to your customer base, a great many of them are several times returning customers.

5) Don't use so much black in the VS finish, a brown would be so so much nicer.

I'm happy with my J45 TV just as it is delivered from the factory via my local 5-star dealer. If I had not liked it I would have bought some other brand / model. That is free market enterprise. Products that do not sell do not stay on the market very long. Gibson makes mighty fine gear and the longevity of some models confirm that.

the non Aged Aaron Lewis model goes for like $2,300 so I don't think they are trying to stab you ... and I don't believe the Jackson Browne is over priced either because it comes with that transaudio amulet ... as they start using it more and more I think costs may go down .

I'm not into that much tecnical specs ... I've taken good care of my Sj 200 TV and it's still sounding great ... thank you gibson for making a great lefty SJ 200 TV ! . I agree with the pickguard thing ... but since mine are custom orders I always get to ask for proper placement =D

and I'm glad you guys are trying to do more period correct reissues !

JC

Add the Trasaudio Amulet to all your acoustic electric guitars,and the non acoustic electric guitars, why not all your guitars.

Charge a flat $500 for all your models, even the artist models. Non of this over $2000, $5000 stuff or more.

Make them all sunburst, not the horrible natural color that losers buy all the time, because they have no sense of style or anything else. Sad....

Send me a free guitar every month for a life time.

Watch the quality control guys, slacking to say the least. Come on....Keep an eye on all production. I dont want a crooked pickguard, or a F'ed up pickup or a warped neck, or frets that will cut my hand when I TRY to play. Thats just not right. Takes away from the joys of playing.

Other then that, its all good....Carry on.....

1. Pick guard placement. That's obvious. If it's done for sound hole protection, just say so - but it's inconsistent placement that bugs me.
  2. Bridge pins.

I've seen some pins that were more crooked than English teeth.

Just get them in straight and seated neatly, we can slot the bridges and fool with bone pins and such if we choose.

I looked at a $2,500 plus Gibson the other day and it's pins were an abomination.

Looked like Ray Charles did the installation.

... and I don't believe the Jackson Browne is over priced either because it comes with that transaudio amulet ... as they start using it more and more I think costs may go down .

Have you seen the price of the Model 1, JC? Still quite ridiculous.

I think Gibson is at their best when they do not attempt to re-create the past but are inpsired by it and use it to develop something which is at once got a traditional vibe but is also in a way new and different. Good examples would be the Jackson Browne Signature and Keb Mo guitars. Both are anchored in the past but presented in a fresh way. Lawdy, it is good to see the old style French Heel neck back.

Second, I like the push to put out a quailty guitar with a more street friendly price. Take a page from Harmony's book and try to put guitars in as may hands as possible rather than cater to a select group of well heeled players.

I remember discussing the reason that Gibson doesn't allow their new guitars to be shown on the internet and I forgot exactly why but I think as a consumer it's a horrible idea. Why hide your product and make people find the cheese? especially with how sexy Gibsons are

Sorry I guess that wasn't production related :)

I own several Gibby's and have noticed a few things, which I think could improve the products. AGAIN, not Gibson bashing, just suggestions. I LOVE my gibbons, and think the Bozeman production guys and gals are making some of the best Gibby's in the history of the company!

1. As previously mentioned in many posts, PLEASE install the pick guards like they did in the old days, showing more of the rosette. I can't believe it takes any more time or effort to install it showing the rosette???

2. On J-200's the ones with the double MOP ribbons on the mustache bridge..... PLEASE over set the neck during assembly so that there is more saddle showing and more break angle, so that the first time you have to shave the saddle to lower the action, you don't have to get a neck reset!

3. PLEASE get rid of the rather large truss rod adjusting nut. I know this is traditional, but after talking to many luthiers, Many feel it makes the neck joint weaker and prone to breaking. A modern truss rod with the smaller allen wrench adjusting tool would leave more "meat" to the neck wood and would be a stronger design.

4. Another neck strengthening design change would be to thicken the headstock paddle at the junction where it meets the neck. THEN, the paddle could be "tapered" like on the old style headstocks, which is such a cool look.

5. Put a quality control "detail" guy at the END of the assembly, to pick up the small "fit and finish" items that seem to get past the assembly process.

Any more suggestions from the forum regulars??

*Gibson,nor any other American company should attempt to impose full or partial PRICE FIXING on they're product..it's FREAKING UN AMERICAN.

*No Gibson Acoustic guitar should leave the factory if it is a dud. A deaf instrument should be worked on by a set of esspecially skilled dudes (ala Neil Youngs 1968 D45) to make the thing musical.

Add these to those good suggestions on your list..but I think the minor finish imperfections are not really important

The truss rod nut is traditional but those thin necks are not..Id like to see the majority of Gibson necks be "real" traditional Gibson necks,that would return some beef to the neck/headstock joint.

Make them all sunburst, not the horrible natural color that losers buy all the time, because they have no sense of style or anything else. Sad....

Do you think we are all loosers with the natural color?angry.gifangry.gifangry.gifmsp_angry.gifmsp_angry.gifmsp_angry.gif

that I agree on ! it should be a bit cheaper with no pick up =D

If it is selling well at that price then it is not too expensive. That is what the market will bear. Let's not forget that after all is said and done Gibson's goal is to make money just like any other company.

JC

While this thread will no doubt fall on deaf ears, the real shame in it having no worth is that there's probably not one person on it yet who hasn't posted Gibson love on here at least a hundred times. There's also more than a fair few returning customers...

If there's nothing else to be gained from such a thread we can look at it as a demonstration of the brand power, a bunch of enthusiasts pointing out the issues that would put the bashers quiet... but is highly unlikely to be heeded, or at best may be amused over at the factory. I bet there's many brands who would like to be in such a position who take customer feedback extremely seriously.

Add the Trasaudio Amulet to all your acoustic electric guitars,and the non acoustic electric guitars, why not all your guitars.

Charge a flat $500 for all your models, even the artist models. Non of this over $2000, $5000 stuff or more.

Send me a free guitar every month for a life time.

Watch the quality control guys, slacking to say the least. Come on....Keep an eye on all production. I dont want a crooked pickguard, or a F'ed up pickup or a warped neck, or frets that will cut my hand when I TRY to play. Thats just not right. Takes away from the joys of playing.

Other then that, its all good....Carry on.....

Brannon there's nothing wrong with a natural! I like both and would like to keep both.

I would like gibson to bring back the 50s neck profile!

Brannon there's nothing wrong with a natural! I like both and would like to keep both.

I would like gibson to bring back the 50s neck profile!

Please dont take my response personally. I was just kidding. I have both also, and love them.

Don't use so much black in the VS finish, a brown would be so so much nicer.

Now that's one I really like.

I find dark sunbursts to be a real turn-off.

Whereas an Epi "Royal Tan" type of burst is sheer beauty.

Archived