Gibson Brands Forums

A horse with no name

Rabs

Sheesh...

I can tell none of you guys are into Ian Tyson or Chris Ledoux, especially Chris. Tyson used to do cutting competitions and was a rodeo rider when he was a kid; Ledoux was a PRCA world champion rider. Both directly or indirectly reference horses and the western lifestyle, as do a number of others who aren't known at all in the rock "community." Or Jazz for all of that.

m

Anybody remember "Chestnut Mare" ??

Absolutely. I saw Mcguinn do it in a solo concert nearly....10(?) years ago.

And this is vintage - I don't know who the percusssionist is though, looks like Walter Becker!!!

And Ian Tyson....a group or album called 'Great Speckled Bird'?

Ian and Sylvia Tyson in the 60s... yes with Great Speckled Bird, but...

It's a long career... The Canadian folk/country/folk-rock duo split; Ian ended up in the 80s doing a batch of cowboy revival material, sometimes with a bigger band, sometimes himself and another guitarist and bass player.

A great talent who, as he described his father, can be difficult...

Here's one example.

m

Chris...

Or... and this is the real thing from a guy who was a world rodeo rough stock riding champion.

Some references may escape those living a world away from rodeo. <grin>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvsRbOC_lxY

There's more. Rock? Country? Today's cowboy is more like it, in a world with a bit of all sorts of music playing on a pickup truck's radio far from broadcast towers.

m

Absolutely. I saw Mcguinn do it in a solo concert nearly....10(?) years ago.

And this is vintage - I don't know who the percusssionist is though, looks like Walter Becker!!!

And Ian Tyson....a group or album called 'Great Speckled Bird'?

Clarence White was one of the best ever.His work on the Tele is absolutely

beautiful on this one.

... I don't know who the percusssionist is though, looks like Walter Becker!!!

That would be Gene Parsons. He's the guy who invented the B string bender (along with Clarence White who is on guitar in the video you posted).

Surf...

I actually got to meet Jimmy Driftwood and BS with him a bit. Neat guy who did some good material.

Tennessee Stud was done quite a bit when I was in college in the '60s. One girl singer even ... uhhhh ... did some variations on the words. <grin>

It's a good piece although I'm sure some folks nowadays may not care for several verses as racist. It does give an idea of the times about which it was written, which of course is why Driftwood, a frequent school teacher with varying degrees of education by today's standards, wrote a lotta the material.

I'd add that this piece does reflect the spirit of the era quite well, if not the musical style.

As for songs with horses in or about... we ain't even come close to scratching the surface.

m

That would be Gene Parsons. He's the guy who invented the B string bender (along with Clarence White who is on guitar in the video you posted).

Uh-uh - look again - Parsons on drums, plus a percussionist who wasn't regularly in the band. No matter....

I saw this line-up back in 1970!

Archived