Gibson Brands Forums

WARNING: Axe Claw wall hangers

StRanger7032

I recently installed a bunch of Axe Claw guitar wall hangers to display my collection. When I pulled down my SG Standard today, I noticed what I thought was some sticky gunk on the guitar where the protective rubber sleeve on the wall hanger contacted the headstock. Upon further inspection, the nitrocellulose finish was actually being eaten away by something in the rubber compound of the wall hanger. Thankfully, I caught it before too much damage occurred! All my guitars with polyurethane finishes seem fine, but the nitro obviously is reacting to something in the Axe Claws. Maybe its an isolated incident, but I would warn other players to be wary of these wall mounts if you plan on using them with a nitro finish.

yes I too know the pain... and I knew I had to cover the rubber bits on the stand but somehow forgot the backrest for this one guitar... ALWAYS cover rubber on guitar stands and holders if you intend to put a nitro guitar on one..

2012-03-07143544.jpg

2012-03-07143607.jpg

Maybe its an isolated incident,

unfortunately no,, this is quite common with nitro

All my stands are wrapped with cotton and fastened with small tie wraps where ever the stand's material/padding will touch the finish.

Not all stands/hangers apparently. I've been using these String Swings for years...

No nitro problems on 4 Gibbies.

stringswing.jpg

Me too. It's too bad we don't know at the time of purchase whether or not something will safe. I've been lucky. None of my stands or hangers have hurt anything.

Not all stands/hangers apparently. I've been using these String Swings for years...

stringswing.jpg

That's exactly what I use in my studio, but at the same time I don't hang my Lesters or "Manalishi," they go away in their hardshell cases. I have no nitro guitars that I hang on them for any length of time. Maybe for a brief moment or two while I'm adjusting studio gear or something, but that's about it...

I'm still a little wary, but it's good to know these seem not to have the same issue with nitro that I hear so much about...

When are they going to learn?

Natural rubber and some synthetics DO NOT GET ALONG WITH expensive finishes.

I'd shoot the manufacturer of the wall hanger an strongly worded complaint, asking for the cost of refinishing the damaged area.

Maybe when they start paying claims, manufacturers of this type of item will get the hint.

Clearly, this item is not suitable for the use for which this item is sold.

stringswing.jpg

I use the same, and they are safe when used normally.

The little rubber caps on the ends of the string swing, however, are not nitro-safe. I know this because I've got a swing that is doubled up with project necks. One sits normally, the other sits on the rubber caps.

Then everyone should consider chemical burns from rubber stands and bug repellent on their Gibsons to be a cool effect of the natural aging process instead of going off about how every other company but Gibson should change the chemicals they are using in the manufacture of their products. Nitro is a crap finish for a guitar. [thumbup]

Then everyone should consider chemical burns from rubber stands and bug repellent on their Gibsons to be a cool effect of the natural aging process instead of going off about how every other company but Gibson should change the chemicals they are using in the manufacture of their products. Nitro is a crap finish for a guitar. [thumbup]

Sorry! Just stating a preference. I feel no need for anyone else to switch finishes.

• 3 months later...

Update: I spent an hour today wet sanding and polishing the damaged areas on the headstock. The damage is now completely gone! I got lucky and caught it early before it got all the way through the nitro. I now use covers on the wall hangers for my nitro finishes. Lesson learned-the hard way.

Archived