Gibson Brands Forums

Is this Normal - Goldtop Changing Color

Sdahe

This is true, jdgm, however, I have never witnessed that much wear in just a year or so.

Sdahe, a few questions;

* How many hours a day do you play?

* Do you generally wear a watch, bracelet, or abrasive long-sleeve garment on your right wrist (like a jeans jacket)?

* What style of music do you play? Easy jazz or speed/thrash/death-metal?

Just curious.

:unsure:

It's possible the finish has absorbed some color from a long sleeved shirt. There's been posts with a red shirt turning an alpine white LP pink in places, and new blue jeans turning light finishes and bindings blue. The nitro finish is susceptible to that type of dye leeching, particularly when the clothing is damp from sweat or other liquid.

... The nitro finish is susceptible to that type of dye leeching, particularly when the clothing is damp from sweat or other liquid.

Skin may also darken nitro finishes. Some liquids other than sweat have a colour of their own.

Normal, in that area, with Gold Tops. But, usually over a longer period of time. Unless your "sweat" is more acidic, in nature,

and has worn away, or seeped into the clear coat faster than usual. The bronzing powder in the paint oxidizes, often to a greenish

or greenish brown color.

You see this a lot, with the older, and well played, original '50's Gold Top Les Paul's, especially.

CB

Hello,

I bought this 2013 Les Paul in 2015 and it's been almost a year that I have been using it.. now it's starting to change color in the side where I rest my arm. I just want to know if this is normal...

No, it's not normal. My GT is 34 years old, my sweat is acidic and there's not a hint of change.

This is true, jdgm, however, I have never witnessed that much wear in just a year or so.

Sdahe, a few questions;

* How many hours a day do you play?

* Do you generally wear a watch, bracelet, or abrasive long-sleeve garment on your right wrist (like a jeans jacket)?

* What style of music do you play? Easy jazz or speed/thrash/death-metal?

Just curious.

:unsure:

Hello

I usually play 2 hours daily but I don't use the Les Paul when playing at home.. I use a strat for that. I only use my Les Paul for live playing.

I don't wear a watch, bracelet or any of those things you mention

I play classic rock and blues

So it could be that it came damage from the factory?..

You wearing a long sleeve or short sleeve? I have the same problem from sweat, But I wipe the guitars down after. For sure it will mess with the nitro and some individuals more than others. Its right above also about a shirt die can mess with the nitro, I had that happen with my blonde EJ on the back from rubbing. Gibson doesn't warranty the nitro finish as far as I know.

In fact Sdahe there was a thread around here some time ago about the Alpine White finishes which players here and there also had a few discoloration issues with, could happen just from being in the case also.

Its fairly normal as mentioned. The nitro sometimes needs a little more time to cure when leaving Gibson also, I seen that also, I mean the nitro finish is extremely sensitive anyway.

I know its probably not what you want to hear, but yeah its rather common.

Does the finish feel rough/sticky or is it still smooth? May want to try some naphtha or even the virtuoso products on it to see if its on the surface or moved deeper into the finish. Hope you find a solution.

Yes.. the finish feels different from the rest.. it's kind of rough but not sticky... It also looks like its under the finish

There is water vapor trapped under there. Your arm heats it up and it starts lifting the paint off. Eventually it'll come off right there. Gibson does not warrant the finish at all, but if you take it to one of their authorized guys and he agrees that it is whack they'll replace it.

rct

I would say while maybe its not what one would say is normal... Its not unheard of either..

As said, your arm warms up that area... And I think also there is copper in the paint or something like that... Its a chemical reaction...

Check out google images.. look up, old Gibson goldtop you will see its pretty prevalent

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=old+gibson+goldtop&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwie9taJ0_rKAhVJchQKHdtFAI4Q_AUIBygB&biw=1366&bih=628

Archived