Gibson Brands Forums

The String Butler.. Tuning stability solution?

Rabs

Guest Farnsbarns

People bang on about straight string pull. The reality is that there is a break angle whichever way. The universe doesn't care if the break angle is seen as in line with the fret board or not, and that invention moves the point where the angle starts nearer to the machine heads and increases the angle as a result. If the problem did exist that invention would make it worse.

It's a good idea but you could fit a roller nut for less. Is it time Gibson redesigned the head?

I couldn't get the video to play for whatever reason but is this really a problem? It seems to me that if the tuning keys are good, the nut isn't catching the strings and if it's strung correctly, tuning is a non issue. I've just never had any problems keeping my guitars in tune and I play fairly aggressively using a 1.14 mm Dunlop tortex pick. Even guitars I don't play for a month or more at a time are in tune when I pull them out and play them and four of those are Gibsons, two being Les Pauls.

In the glorious olden days nothing beat hanging around the Ed Roman booth with all them bikinis, and all the guitar dorks that now had a guitar on a stand in every room of their house but had never put one in their car and taken it anywhere, sitting around talking like Rocket Surgeons about guitars. "tuning stability" and "break angle" were new phrases being bandied about by these new money geniuses, showing just how smart they were about guitars and these bozos that actually get paid to play them are just dumb.

Good times.

rct

In the glorious olden days nothing beat hanging around the Ed Roman booth with all them bikinis, and all the guitar dorks that now had a guitar on a stand in every room of their house but had never put one in their car and taken it anywhere, sitting around talking like Rocket Surgeons about guitars. "tuning stability" and "break angle" were new phrases being bandied about by these new money geniuses, showing just how smart they were about guitars and these bozos that actually get paid to play them are just dumb.

Good times.

rct

I'm learning a lot here on the forums because for years, I was one of those dumb guys who got paid to play them and didn't work on them myself much. We were playing 4 or 5 nights a week or more, 3 or 4 sets a night, traveling as far west as Kansas City and as far east to the coast and all around the Midwest. I taught guitar at a couple music stores and we had a person at each place that worked on guitars. They'd do my setups and I'd go out and play them. I knew how to adjust intonation, how to adjust the neck, use graphite (pencil "lead") on the nut and how to properly wind a string onto the post. Mine always stayed in tune fairly well. I'd tune between sets, just to make sure but usually it was minor adjustments. I had a problem with tuning and staying in tune with guitars with worn or bad tuners but never on my main guitars.

I didn't care about the other stuff as long as it worked. Headstock angle, break angle and all that is new to me. All I know is that mine all work fine, stay in tune, even when I play them roughly. Creeping Death by Metallica was one that made my wife wince as I played that on my new Les Paul. It can be pretty brutal when played using mostly just downstrokes to get that sound. It was sure a lot easier to play in my 20's than my 50's!

People bang on about straight string pull. The reality is that there is a break angle whichever way. The universe doesn't care if the break angle is seen as in line with the fret board or not, and that invention moves the point where the angle starts nearer to the machine heads and increases the angle as a result. If the problem did exist that invention would make it worse.

Agree with this totally; they have just moved the break angle further back and increased it.

My guitars stay in tune, or as 'in tune' as any guitar can be...anyway.

My Ibanez Destroyer II and Firebird have a straight pull, and although they stay in tune very well, they do so no better than my Explorer or SGs. I kinda get where they're coming from, in that this device removes the side friction at the nut, leaving only the friction at the bottom of the slots, but the device then simply reintroduces the side friction onto itself. I guess that the metal-on-metal effect will be a bit less than the normal metal on plastic/bone, but I'd have thought that the benefits would be minimal to indiscernible.

I'm keeping my 30 quid!

H.

Yeah its an interesting idea but not really necessary.. If you have problems with binding you just need to get the nut cut and lubed properly or even just buy a Graphtec replacement which is more like £9.99....

Like a lot of people here, even though ive read about these issues many many times, ive never actually experienced this problem and ive never ever had work done on any of my Gibbies.

One of my first posts on this forum was about strings binding in my new ES-339. So I have had this problem, and still do to a lesser extent.

I also opined that a strung tee might solve the problem. This String Butler does move the break angle, but the point is that its a roller (or post) point of contact that does this rather than an offset slot.

It would solve the problem.

Well I would have to congratulate the inventor of this device, they will probably sell a lot of them if they have a big enough marketing budget to really get the word out.

Totally unnecessary device and I agree with Farns that it is just increasing the sideways angle to the string post, although with the roller instead of a slot hopefully it won't make the problem worse?

I've played Gibson since 1965 and LP in particular since 1970 and I've had some issues holding the tuning. But 99% of the time it was my own fault for not winding the string properly around the post, or for tuning down instead of up. I have had a couple of nuts that seemed to bind and a little filing solved those problems. If the nut does bind and you stretch (bend) the string I don't think this device will help much as the problem is caused before the string gets to the "Butler".

Archived