Gibson Brands Forums

My rig is complete!

Gibson CS

Well as of an hour ago, my first rig was completed.

I now have:

A LP standard desert burst.

A Marshall JVM combo. (tube-tastic)

A #1 echo pedal

and a Crybaby original.

I am content until I go to GC and see something else I want.

I'm gonna go play!!!!

It may be because with a guitar you actually interact with it a lot more than you do with an amp. Just a thought

I think that's it lk. You can walk around with guitars and we tweak them and mod them often. Most of the time we don't care about the amp unless it lets us down.

oilpit - you have much amp now. I know you'll enjoy it to the max. I know I tried to make myself fall for many other makes & models, but to my ear the TSL did it to me. You can get more sounds outta that thing than Carter's got pills. =D>

i wish i had a jvm...but i cannot justify it- the wattage or the price tag.

funny how ill pay 2k for a guitar but not more than 7-800 for an amp. oh well.

I got it for only 800 bucks 'cause it had a tiny rip in the front mesh thing, or else I never would have bought it, 3000 is too much for an amp

I got it for only 800 bucks 'cause it had a tiny rip in the front mesh thing' date=' or else I never would have bought it, 3000 is too much for an amp[/quote']

you got a jvm combo for 800 bucks???!!! where and how? which model did you get?

JVM, i dont see the greatness, to me its just a fancy line 6

THATS COMING FROM A MARSHALL WORSHIPPER

the best amps have one or 2 channels, when you start adding digital reverb, midi jacks, all that stuff takes away from the sound IMO

the best 3 amps to me are still JCM 800, marshall vintage modern, and vox AC30

Keep It Simple Stupid

you got a jvm combo for 800 bucks???!!! where and how? which model did you get?

Yessir, sticker price is 3 thousand something.

It was a clearance item $1500

It was a floor model %20 off $1200

There was a small rip in the front mesh-thing down to $800

I HAD to buy it, I wasn't even looking for a new amp but it was SUCH a good deal.

P.S. It's really not complicated, at least like a line 6 is.

And I'm not trying to say its as good as the other amps that you listed, but it is GREAT.

It may be because with a guitar you actually interact with it a lot more than you do with an amp. Just a thought

To an extent. A crappy guitar can sound great through a great amp but a great guitar will sound like crap through a crappy amp. The great guitar might be a joy for you to play, even through a crappy amp, but your audience will never appreciate that fact, they'll just hear a crappy tone.

JVM' date=' i dont see the greatness, to me its just a fancy line 6

[i'][/i]THATS COMING FROM A MARSHALL WORSHIPPER

the best amps have one or 2 channels, when you start adding digital reverb, midi jacks, all that stuff takes away from the sound IMO

the best 3 amps to me are still JCM 800, marshall vintage modern, and vox AC30

Keep It Simple Stupid

A guy I know in another band has a JVM with a 4x12 and he gets a great sound with his Epi LP. I'm about as much of a tone snob as you're likely to find so I don't say that lightly.

Well, reading the threads title I was gonna jump in saying: you sir are a liar...

But, reading this:

Well as of an hour ago' date=' my first rig was completed.

[/quote']

You are one of us... allways knowing there is no such thing as a complete rig...

Congratulations and hope you enjoy your equipment a lot!

rich the problem i tend to have with amps is their crunch-ness-ness

lol

alot of good amps, like orange, JCM 2000s, JVM 410, 5150s (or 6505s or whatever)

they tend to be tooooo saturated gain wise, the amps i enjoy have th "balls" the deep bottom, thick mids, and face melting top end, with out being muddy, or fuzzy

very few amps can do it, its just my taste, but to me distortion is all about jimmy pages live sound, billy gibbons early tone, ala fandango, and tre hombres, even eddie vanhalen's tone is a good example

i dont see PURE tone as a jazz box through a fender, I see GREAT tone as a les paul through a marshall

you know what i mean

Tone is certainly subjective; the guy I was referring to plays in a hard rock band so that amp works great for him and he gets a great sounding heavy tone out of it even if it's not the kind of tone I go for personally. My tastes run closer to what you described, particularly the Gibbons part.

Perhaps the reason we are more hesitant to drop the big bucks on an amp has to do with longevity...

I'm just thinking about how many amps I have gone through over the years (8 amps vs 2 guitars) The Elite was my 3rd electric and I still have it.... and I am looking at getting another amp now =P~!

I guess it depends on why you've been through several amps, ChanMan. My tastes (and income) have evolved over the years so I've changed amps several times too. Additionally, I like various tones for various stuff so, outside of playing with my band, I'll play through one amp or another depending on my mood. For my main amp that I use with my band, I've considered buy something else because I'm using only one of it's channels which seems like a waste but the thing sounds good so I'm sticking with it.

If it's a question of durability, a good quality amp that is reasonably easy to service should last for a very long time. One of my amps is a 1966 Fender Champ that I bought used and I'm pretty certain that the preamp tube is the original one that it shipped with (Telefunken); the rest are all American tubes as well of various brands (power tube is an RCA and I don't remember what the rectifier tube is). The only thing that I've changed on the amp is the speaker as the guy who owned it before me (or the guy before him) put in some crappy sounding speaker that looked like it belonged in a car stereo. It's a great sounding little amp that's over 40 years old.

Yeah, but without an amp there is no interaction...unless you like hearing plinka-plinka-plink...I am not one of those, yer amp is at least as important as yer guitar is.

i dont see PURE tone as a jazz box through a fender' date=' I see GREAT tone as a les paul through a marshall

[/quote']

i meant to emphasize the I part a little bit more

lol

Well as of an hour ago' date=' my first rig was completed.

I now have:

A LP standard desert burst.

A Marshall JVM combo. (tube-tastic)

A #1 echo pedal

and a Crybaby original.

I'm gonna go play!!!![/quote']

Nice rig, oilpit!

Just be aware that G.A.S is a terrible affliction and, while it may go into remission from time to time, it never goes away.

Now, sally forth and make joyous thunder with that new rig!

i can't believe the money people spend on guitars without buying a decent amp. I think its because guitars have more personality like a favourite pet. For me Gibson + Marshall is usually a pretty acceptable combination, You cant beat good overdriven amp tone. Ive tried all kinds of Stomp box drive pedals but they just sound too much like pedals. I guess it all comes down to taste but I need my amp to be at least 3 channels and my rig has to have all stompys through the loop. Unless your pedals Are TB then dont bother searching for a decent guitar tone out of any guitar amp combination while running in series. Its just cloudy mud in comparison to using the loop ( for me ). All I know is that Ive been through every phase of wanting a boogie and an AC30, Line 6 etc and everytime I come back to my stage rig which is as follows

Guitar >>> Planet waves tuner (True Bypass) >>> Dunlop 535q wah (True Bypass) into Marshall 3 channel TSL 100watt

FX Loop send >>> EVH Phase>>>Boss Chorus >>>Ibanez/Maxon vintage AD9 >>> FX Return.

Very different sounds come from this rig depending on the order of pedals and the guitar at the front but I know If I lost all the stomp boxes Id survive the gig even if I had to just run one lead into my amp because the amp is versatile. I dont know how people deal with using single channel amps with loads of pedals to tap dance on just to get a sound. Just one persons opinion but my tip is less pedals and proccessors = Better tone. Also if you have an fx loop in your amp... use it or at least make your tech or soundy experiment with it!! My guess is the dif will be night and day.. Dont cut corners with your set up. Its just as important as searching for the right guitar and amp to manifest your perceived ' Ideal Tone".

Archived