Gibson Brands Forums

What the hell happened to Gibson?

shaved_ape

I am 30 and grew up dying to own a Gibson. I would go into a guitar shop, or guitar center, what have you, and have my jaw drop at all the cool *** guitars that Gibson would do. I would say that there are less than 5 non-Gibson guitars that I want to end up owning in my lifetime.

The day I graduated high school I went to Guitar Center and got a job and to this day I still get Giddy when I see a Gibson on the wall. But all the colors and options they have been doing for the past 10 years have been absolute garbage.

What happened to the Les Paul Standard? The Les Paul Custom with a slightly more affordable price tag? What happened to the cool colors, solid colors, and standard options.

There are so many different Les Pauls now, whatever happened to one guitar with different colors?

What happened to doing Les pauls in these colors (solid) Blue, Red, Yellow, and I don't recall a standard green.

I would think with the economy in shambles that you guys would lower prices and options for the common man, such as non-figured tops and solid colors and keeping a les paul standard under $2000, a les paul custom under $2500, and an SG under $1500, well you guys do a pretty good job of that.

Don't get me wrong, I still get teary eyed at the sight of a gibson and the feel of the fret edge binding. But come on, you guys are the top guitar company in the world.

When I was 19 I saved for a year to buy my first NEW gibson, it was the proudest day of my life, maybe equal to the first time I got laid, but then again a Gibson won't laugh at the size of your dang dong... :(<_<

Here is a list of guitars I think you should start again with, followed by a list of colors you should have never stopped doing.

It is grotesquely disgusting that there are so many different models of les pauls on your site that won't hold a single ounce of "Timeless"

Guitars.

1. Showcase editions.

2. Les Paul custom lites.

3. Gibson Victory

4. Gibson XPL doublecut, the ACTUAL CUT OF THE LES PAUL!!! SICK SICK GUITAR With Explorer Headstock or even if you tried a standard Bookend.

5. Gibson Studio Standard - You'd be surprised how well these would sell if you just started putting you fret edge binding on some low cost les pauls.

6. Les Paul Standards!

7. Les Paul Customs!

Colors. Some you have done, some you haven't

1. Ferrari Red (I don't normally like red)

2. Lipstick Red - I saw a 1987 or 89 custom shop Les Paul Standard with this color - One of the Sexiest reds I have ever seen

3. Candy Apple Red

4. Candy Apple Blue

5. Candy Apple Green

6. Shamrock Green

7. TV Yellow on LP standards, customs, and SG's.

8. Silver

9. Sunset Orange

It hurts to see you guys waste wood with the Dave Grohl signature even though I like Dave Grohl, the Tom Delonge? come on.

Even though it is reported that quality control wasn't the greatest, you guys did some of your best work from 1978-1992. You guys have gotten away with some pretty obscure guitars that haven't been selling. I worked at Guitar Center for 6 years and I have watched people pass up on Gibsons because, they were too outrageous, they couldn't afford them, the colors were too generic, the models were too confusing, or the models just weren't up to tasteful standards.

I have been finishing my MFA for the past 5 years now and haven't been able to afford a guitar in a while, I sold everything I own just to finish school and get by. But now as I am nearing my completion I have been thinking of what new guitar to save for, and I don't see a single guitar on your site.

Believe it or not, the economy isn't getting any better, so why on God's green earth would you raise the prices of your guitars?

I won't post them, but I know GC's cost at least, and I know what you sell them for. If you guys started doing risky colors and not risky models I would be game. But doesn't it seem slightly stupid that I have to seek a 25 year old guitar that is a standard model in a normal color.

Is it me, or are there dealers and sellers out there who buy this stuff for ebay and the aftermarket only to sit on them for months to a year waiting for a sucker with bad enough taste to buy these weird *** models. i.e. Tribal? Holy Guitars?

I finished my degrees in Graphic Design and Animation because, YES, I flunked out of business school, but it seems to me if you lower your prices, make guitars people will buy, you will sell more in general, therefore you will make more profit from selling 100 guitars at a good price rather than selling 10 guitars at a ridiculous price.

There is no way your sales can be up in the past few years. I just don't see how it could be possible.

Come back Gibson, show the world why your guitars could and should be the best. Give the guitar back to the working man so we can stop buying overseas guitars.

Come back Gibson!!!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya know certainly questions cross my mind when it comes to Gibson.... However what crosses my mind more is when did guitars players become such whinny cry babies??? [confused] ...

Guitar players were normally the cool cats of the group, and we did our talking with our guitars, and never worried about finish flaws, or QC issues. We went to the music store, played guitars, and purchased the one that spoke to us.

No offense, but some of you would suck to play in a band with [thumbdn] ... Half of the rehearsal would be how so despondent you are, because some guitar company made you feel less than human...LOL!!!

Some here would have never survived in any of my bands... your asses would have been tossed out on your heads.

www.MessenTools.com-emoticones-humor-096.gif

Amen...

I just don't play anymore because I couldn't find anyone that wanted to play actual music as opposed to "Let's try to sound like The Strokes"

I just moved from NorCal and I may be a whiny little cry baby about Gibson, but I have over 22 years out of my 30 of studying Gibson and loving the image they have produced over the years.

I could care less about QC because in my opinion they have usually done a pretty good job. If I am whining about anything generic, it's that there aren't any bands to bring back the good ole' days of rock, and not this crappy re-hashed down stroke syndrome $hit.

Rockers who smoke cigarettes, pass out on stage, piss on their fans or just piss them off.

I don't even know if the term "PC" is still used, but I think half the bands that are out there don't even know how to rock.

I sold everything I own to finish my masters because I don't care about being in a band anymore. I am 30 and have been working non-stop since I was 13. If I care about anything, it's about spending my hard earned cash on something once, something I love and something I will be proud to hand down to my kids and grandkids.

Gibson hasn't produced anything to that effect for over 20 some odd years.

I've done some of the crappiest jobs known to man for the lowest wages known to the earth, but I worked them hard and proud so I could go home to play guitar. Now I just work and go home to work some more.

I'd be a whiny cry baby if I used it as an excuse to not do what I love, and I do what I love. I will never own the car of my dreams, I will never have the woman of my dreams, and sooner or later I WILL have the guitar of my dreams. But it's a stupid shame that I won't be able to buy it new because a company like Gibson is going so far off the deep end to go in the @$$ end opposite direction of what their players want.

I will always have a job, I will always be broke, but I will usually be content because I know how to keep myself occupied with what I enjoy doing.

But it does hurt to see one of the best companies in the business fall and fail because they are being run by people that just grew up having money and no passion.

No offense, but I don't see how you can speak for what the other hobbyist or working guitar players want or need... And I can guarantee you that any guitar player worth his or her salt, just don't play Gibsons.

I've purchased 5 new Gibson instruments in the last two years, and all have been great... Are they perfect??? Hell no!!! Did I expect perfection??? Of course not.... Did I soak a laundry basket full of handkerchiefs because Gibson's price point was too much??? Who does that??? [confused]

I purchased my first guitar when I was 10 (72 Gibby SG200) delivering news papers and cleaning out freezers in the meat department of Gemco. And purchased my second 1980 Gibson LPC when I was 16 delivering newspapers, and working at Jack in the Box. And not once did I ever expect, or piss n moan about the price.... I either stepped up with the cash, or someone else would...

Certainly my jobs when I was young weren't glamorous, and neither were the cars I drove when I was a teenager...... But who cares.... When it comes to instruments, cars and girls, you're gonna spend money over and over and over again...

I am 30 and grew up dying to own a Gibson. I would go into a guitar shop, or guitar center, what have you, and have my jaw drop at all the cool *** guitars that Gibson would do. I would say that there are less than 5 non-Gibson guitars that I want to end up owning in my lifetime.

The day I graduated high school I went to Guitar Center and got a job and to this day I still get Giddy when I see a Gibson on the wall. But all the colors and options they have been doing for the past 10 years have been absolute garbage.

What happened to the Les Paul Standard? The Les Paul Custom with a slightly more affordable price tag? What happened to the cool colors, solid colors, and standard options.

There are so many different Les Pauls now, whatever happened to one guitar with different colors?

What happened to doing Les pauls in these colors (solid) Blue, Red, Yellow, and I don't recall a standard green.

I would think with the economy in shambles that you guys would lower prices and options for the common man, such as non-figured tops and solid colors and keeping a les paul standard under $2000, a les paul custom under $2500, and an SG under $1500, well you guys do a pretty good job of that.

Don't get me wrong, I still get teary eyed at the sight of a gibson and the feel of the fret edge binding. But come on, you guys are the top guitar company in the world.

When I was 19 I saved for a year to buy my first NEW gibson, it was the proudest day of my life, maybe equal to the first time I got laid, but then again a Gibson won't laugh at the size of your dang dong... :(<_<

Here is a list of guitars I think you should start again with, followed by a list of colors you should have never stopped doing.

It is grotesquely disgusting that there are so many different models of les pauls on your site that won't hold a single ounce of "Timeless"

Guitars.

1. Showcase editions.

3. Gibson Victory

4. Gibson XPL doublecut, the ACTUAL CUT OF THE LES PAUL!!! SICK SICK GUITAR With Explorer Headstock or even if you tried a standard Bookend.

5. Gibson Studio Standard - You'd be surprised how well these would sell if you just started putting you fret edge binding on some low cost les pauls.

6. Les Paul Standards!

7. Les Paul Customs!

2. Lipstick Red - I saw a 1987 or 89 custom shop Les Paul Standard with this color - One of the Sexiest reds I have ever seen

3. Candy Apple Red

4. Candy Apple Blue

5. Candy Apple Green

6. Shamrock Green

8. Silver

9. Sunset Orange

It hurts to see you guys waste wood with the Dave Grohl signature even though I like Dave Grohl, the Tom Delonge? come on.

Even though it is reported that quality control wasn't the greatest, you guys did some of your best work from 1978-1992. You guys have gotten away with some pretty obscure guitars that haven't been selling. I worked at Guitar Center for 6 years and I have watched people pass up on Gibsons because, they were too outrageous, they couldn't afford them, the colors were too generic, the models were too confusing, or the models just weren't up to tasteful standards.

I have been finishing my MFA for the past 5 years now and haven't been able to afford a guitar in a while, I sold everything I own just to finish school and get by. But now as I am nearing my completion I have been thinking of what new guitar to save for, and I don't see a single guitar on your site.

Believe it or not, the economy isn't getting any better, so why on God's green earth would you raise the prices of your guitars?

I won't post them, but I know GC's cost at least, and I know what you sell them for. If you guys started doing risky colors and not risky models I would be game. But doesn't it seem slightly stupid that I have to seek a 25 year old guitar that is a standard model in a normal color.

Is it me, or are there dealers and sellers out there who buy this stuff for ebay and the aftermarket only to sit on them for months to a year waiting for a sucker with bad enough taste to buy these weird *** models. i.e. Tribal? Holy Guitars?

I finished my degrees in Graphic Design and Animation because, YES, I flunked out of business school, but it seems to me if you lower your prices, make guitars people will buy, you will sell more in general, therefore you will make more profit from selling 100 guitars at a good price rather than selling 10 guitars at a ridiculous price.

There is no way your sales can be up in the past few years. I just don't see how it could be possible.

Come back Gibson, show the world why your guitars could and should be the best. Give the guitar back to the working man so we can stop buying overseas guitars.

Come back Gibson!!!

Amen.

No offense, but I don't see how you can speak for what the other hobbyist or working guitar players want or need... And I can guarantee you that any guitar player worth his or her salt, just don't play Gibsons.

I've purchased 5 new Gibson instruments in the last two years, and all have been great... Are they perfect??? Hell no!!! Did I expect perfection??? Of course not.... Did I soak a laundry basket full of handkerchiefs because Gibson's price point was too much??? Who does that??? [confused]

I purchased my first guitar when I was 10 (72 Gibby SG200) delivering news papers and cleaning out freezers in the meat department of Gemco. And purchased my second 1980 Gibson LPC when I was 16 delivering newspapers, and working at Jack in the Box. And not once did I ever expect, or piss n moan about the price.... I either stepped up with the cash, or someone else would...

Certainly my jobs when I was young weren't glamorous, and neither were the cars I drove when I was a teenager...... But who cares.... When it comes to instruments, cars and girls, you're gonna spend money over and over and over again...

Yeah but when you buy a car, you spend time choosing color if you can. Bursts and such really appeal to an older crowd. You wouldn't buy a Doo Doo Brown 68 Camaro would you?

No!

Guitars for some symbolize Rock and Roll and how you feel about music the same as cars, so there is a slight correlation to me at least between cars, hot rods, women, and guitars.

Gibson hasn't done a solid color on guitars for years, letting other companies take the sale to those who don't just want "old man colors"

Your Les Paul Custom is GORGEOUS!!! But how many white les paul customs are out there.

I don't have the money to buy 5 Gibsons in 2 years, I can probably afford to buy one gibson every ten years, so I among a few players want something different.

Because of money, the last guitar I bought was a dean MLF which was awesome. I have had a Fender '72 reissue tele with the humbucker in the neck, I have had multiple guitars that weren't Gibsons, mostly because they felt great, sounded great, and yeah, looked better.

Gibson is supposed to be the top company, and if they released something viable for me to go nuts then I would do that now, but no dice.

How can you not complain about the price? At 19 it took me a whole year to save up $1300 to buy my LE Natural Burst SG, I worked at GC at the time but they lost their dealership to Mars Music, so I paid whatever I had to.

At the time Mars had a Natural CS LP Custom for $3000 which I regret not buying, but how did the price go up $1500 in ten years when the price of a Standard only when up $400?

At 19 you can be slightly impatient but there was no way I could have waited another year to get my own Gibson.

You and I grew up, and several others were the last to grow up working, I don't see kids do that now days. How can a 10 year old, or a 16 year old save up $4500 just for a guitar, it won't happen because kids now days are lazier than hell. If your kid asked you to buy him a $4500 guitar, what would you tell him.

Hell I am 30 and I can't conceive to save that much in a year.

Well I'm not going to sit here and knock on our younger generation, it's not like adults are setting a great example for them... But that's a whole other subject matter.

I don't worry about price, because if I can't afford it, I just don't buy it.

Guitars are different things to different people. Speaking for me, sometimes they make me feel good, other times they piss me off... But I'm sure that's not always the guitars fault [biggrin]

As for Gibson being the top Guitar Company.... who's to say.... I like their guitars, but I like Moser and Charvel too...

As for me growing up :unsure: ..... When it comes to guitars, I'm every bit a teenager when I jam with friends or walk into a music store.

Thanx for the kind words regarding my LPC. But I had to put taller frets, and scallop the fretboard to get it to play the way I like it.... Just shows that even a higher end Gibson may need some mods to make it work for you.... and I'm okay with that.... IMO all guitars are not above being modified.

Well I'm not going to sit here and knock on our younger generation, it's not like adults are setting a great example for them... But that's a whole other subject matter.

I don't worry about price, because if I can't afford it, I just don't buy it.

Guitars are different things to different people. Speaking for me, sometimes they make me feel good, other times they piss me off... But I'm sure that's not always the guitars fault [biggrin]

As for Gibson being the top Guitar Company.... who's to say.... I like their guitars, but I like Moser and Charvel too...

As for me growing up :unsure: ..... When it comes to guitars, I'm every bit a teenager when I jam with friends or walk into a music store.

Thanx for the kind words regarding my LPC. But I had to put taller frets, and scallop the fretboard to get it to play the way I like it.... Just shows that even a higher end Gibson may need some mods to make it work for you.... and I'm okay with that.... IMO all guitars are not above being modified.

I agree completely, I like Moser's work with BC Rich, I've never been a fan of pointy guitars but I have a soft spot for Some BC Rich's and Mosers. Charvel I think is different, but only in my opinion I think it is outrageous to pay more than $1000 for a bolt on.

This here is my dream guitar, if I could afford to Mod a Gibson you could bet your bottom dollar I wouldn't have an ounce of shame to do it. But because I am a broke student I found a 1983 Burny Les Paul custom, with fret edge binding, and I designed the Les Paul I have always wanted to see. The T is for Tucker, my middle name, and incidentally my favorite car. I wanted to pitch this to companies but I lost my job in SF and had to bail on getting a few made, just like Preston Tucker.

The pickups are something I have wanted to hear since I started at GC in 2000 and took about 10 years of research to find someone to build.

It is an EMG 60 (p-90 emulator) in the Neck and a Jeff Beck in the Bridge. The hardest part was finding someone who could wire an active pickup and a passive pickup together. I found a guy named Gary Brawer in San Fran who is a pretty reputable tech and a great guy.

The hard thing is, if you can find someone to wire a active and passive, the active will overpower the passive if you run them together, so you would have to throw a boost switch for the passive, defeating the purpose in the first place.

But Gary, being the genius that he is, set up a single switch that when you run it in the bridge position, you get the all natural passive, when you run the neck you get the noise free, single coil p-90 for killer solos and such and without the feedback, but the middle position now deadens the EMG to run matched with the passive. That way you don't have a crazy amount of boost switches and toggles like a BC Rich.

When these two pickups are together it sounds gorgeous. Imagine running a Jeff Beck with a noiseless p-90.

Why do this? Because it's never really been done before and finding a cheap les paul routed for a p-90 and a humbucker is impossible.

We will see how it looks when it is done, which should be soon, and I spent less than 1/4 than an actual LP Custom.

If Gibson made one of these for $4500 I would go through poverty for years to put it on layaway or find a credit card to buy it.

29452_102834646427743_1000010362462.jpg

here is the paint on it, it is being done by a pro musician and pro luthier out of San Francisco,

P7160003.jpg

P7160001-1.jpg

Rockers who smoke cigarettes, pass out on stage, piss on their fans or just piss them off.

I don't even know if the term "PC" is still used, but I think half the bands that are out there don't even know how to rock.

Apparently you Have never been to a show in Boston.dry.gif

I'll keep it simple for you cupcake,

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I don't like a lot of what Gibson's doing these days either.

so I buy used,

Quit wasting bandwidth with your pissing and moaning.eusa_listen.gif

Guitar players were normally the cool cats of the group, and we did our talking with our guitars, and never worried about finish flaws, or QC issues.

This is probably one of the most absurd things I've read on this forum, and that's saying a lot.

So it's not "cool" to worry about "finish flaws" or "QC issues"?

Do you follow this line of reasoning when buying a car or anything else for that matter? Of course not.

Now I know Gibson is in trouble when the only argument left is that it's just not "cool" to worry about quality.

BTW: The Marketing slogan at Gibson is "Prestige, Quality and Innovation".

[lol]

I am 30 and grew up dying to own a Gibson.

Guitars.

1. Showcase editions.

3. Gibson Victory

6. Les Paul Standards!

7. Les Paul Customs!

3. Candy Apple Red

4. Candy Apple Blue

5. Candy Apple Green

6. Shamrock Green

8. Silver

9. Sunset Orange

Come back Gibson!!!

_________ MY RESPONSE ____________

Always interesting to read a post from somebody that has it all figured out and is being made to suffer by Gibson choice's but it's very important to remember that your just one customer and a not very active one from what you have said . I'm 50 years old and currently own 84 guitars most of them top end and custom shop models including 16 Les Pauls 8 of which are reissues.

So let me give my opinion on your recommendations just to see how much we might agree.

first your guitar choices

Guitars.

1. Showcase editions. - Why would Gibson bring back a unpopular superstrat from 89 that was mediocre at best and theres at least seven or eight builders doing this guitar better right now. So NO

2. Les Paul custom lites. Again why a fairly medicre guitar that actually is a slot that would be filled by the junior a SG or if you wanna bring something back bring Back a L6-S instead. so NO

3. Gibson Victory - Yet another strat clone from gibson other that the H/S/H pickup combination there's nothing special about these guitars so why rip of Fender this is the guitar they build so let them. so sadly NO

4. Gibson XPL doublecut, the ACTUAL CUT OF THE LES PAUL!!! SICK SICK GUITAR With Explorer Headstock or even if you tried a standard Bookend. Well I gotta almost agree on this one the XP doublecut is a cool body and a nice guitar sadly from the 85-89 time frame when Gibson was really unpredictable on the quality of the guitars some were good a few were great and many sucked. still a cool body; but if you want this look then go no farther that the Carvin Carved California double cut, almost this exact guitar in great guitar with top notch finish and amazing build quality - I have one in a KOA top that is truly amazing.

5. Gibson Studio Standard - You'd be surprised how well these would sell if you just started putting you fret edge binding on some low cost les pauls. Nope they have studio's and there selling like hot-cakes right now with people actually arguing about trying to get the 50's tribute studio. No matter what they do though it's still a Studio and the Studios are like Chinese Food sure there cool for a few hours and then you'll be complaining and whining about why you didn't just get a Standard,

6. Les Paul Standards! NOPE they still make the old loved Standard but now it's called a traditional and if the name change really bothers you well yoiur a whack job that needs meds and therapy allot more than another guitar.

7. Les Paul Customs! They come and go theres a lot out there and there nothing overlly special get yourself a nice reissue and you won't be sorry but they were nice so 'll give you a 1/2 of a yes.

SO sorry out of your seven great ideas to turn Gibson around I can't give you even 1 full yes but you got a 1/2 yes and a partial so I;ll go a .68% of a single yes.

So Now lets check out your colors recommendations the same way

. Ferrari Red (I don't normally like red) ( Great color - painted on a Ferrari kind of ugly and whimpy on a guitar unless you Joan Jett Or some other girl rocker than red is Hot for you NOPE not hot.

2. Lipstick Red - I saw a 1987 or 89 custom shop Les Paul Standard with this color - One of the Sexiest reds I have ever seen - Again with a Girly red color and now it's worse a lipstick colored guitar is great for a punk band or a teenage girl if you not either of those thatn step away and try to save some level of you manhood.

3. Candy Apple Red starting to see a trend here but thank god Im here to save you a candy apple red guitar is a cry for help from a woman trapped in a mans body so you need to just power by all these smurf color guitars that were selected from a skittle color package. red is horrible

4. Candy Apple Blue Candy apple blue might actually be worse that the red it;s hard to tell since I was born as a man they all suck.

5. Candy Apple Green And it continues and even gets worse if possible now it's not only a sad wishy washy gender confused grayola color guitars but it's also a ugly green color just say no.

6. Shamrock Green - Really well this ones easier great color if your in the pixies or if your a actual leprechaun other than that your just lying about your sexual choices in life.

7. TV Yellow on LP standards, customs, and SG's. Finally a guitar I own and am proud to play the TV yellow is a iconic color any player should be proud to own

8. Silver - No Gibson makes Gold-tops not silver tops unless your talking about a silver burst then your fine as that is a cool color combination anyone should be proud to own,

9. Sunset Orange - Back to the fruit colors again huh? well still the snswer is no if you want a orange guitar get a Gretsch Brian Setzer in the Orange, a true classic. PRS also has a great orange for Santanna so it already iconic forthem so lets move on and go back to a tobacco burst or a Honeyburst,

sorry but you get no support from me Gibson would lose the sale on about 10 Les Pauls a year from me alone if they took your advice here.

You six stringers in general have the Gibson world by the bridge. I don't see or hear the Gibson Bass dudes going to Mamby-pamby land about, we don't have this, we can't get this. NO! We're satisfied to know the handful of basses offered by Gibson are some of the finest on the planet. God knows I've had enough of the others to testify to that one. [rolleyes] Want a tissue? Cry baby!

What the hell is going on in this thread? I see people looking for reasons to complain [bored] Yeah Gibsons tend to be expensive....so buy used.....buy from another company. There's plenty of options. No one is holding a gun to your head telling saying "you have 30 months to get $5000 to buy a Gibson or you'll be sleeping with the fishes."

I have my issues with Gibson but the inflation happens. Everything is more expensive.

I agree with Duane...part of the fun of guitars is modding them to fit YOUR specifications. BUT yeah, I don't buy the cool factor in caring aboot QC.

No offense, Shaved, but those models and colors that you've suggested are really eccentric. I really don't think there'd be much demand for any of them. You have unusual tastes in models and colors, and you can't expect them to make wierd models and colors just for a few customers.

It would be foolish for Gibson to lower prices because there's a tough economy. Not across the board, anyway. They make studios for guys like you and me.

They have a bulletin board called "Talk to Henry" - or something like that. They are soliciting ideas like yours. You can post this over there and they will look at it. [biggrin]

This is probably one of the most absurd things I've read on this forum, and that's saying a lot.

So it's not "cool" to worry about "finish flaws" or "QC issues"?

Do you follow this line of reasoning when buying a car or anything else for that matter? Of course not.

Now I know Gibson is in trouble when the only argument left is that it's just not "cool" to worry about quality.

BTW: The Marketing slogan at Gibson is "Prestige, Quality and Innovation".

[lol]

I did and do my own inspection work at the music store.. If it plays good, sounds good and it's what I'm looking for, I'll buy it. Certainly if the neck falls off or something major happens, within the warranty period, I'll contact the place I purchased it from.... But I've yet to have such an issue so far.

As for a new car, that's entirely a different buying experience... I don't really have the time to pull the diff cover, valve covers, oil pan and check other internal motor vitals. I know what I'm going to buy, I know what car manufacturer I'm going to purchase the new vehicle from (always Ford). And I know how much I'm going to pay for it... As a matter of fact the deal is done on-line and all we do is go to the dealership and sign the docs and pick up the car

Ya know certainly questions cross my mind when it comes to Gibson.... However what crosses my mind more is when did guitars players become such whinny cry babies??? [confused] ...

Guitar players were normally the cool cats of the group, and we did our talking with our guitars, and never worried about finish flaws, or QC issues. We went to the music store, played guitars, and purchased the one that spoke to us.

No offense, but some of you would suck to play in a band with [thumbdn] ... Half of the rehearsal would be how so despondent you are, because some guitar company made you feel less than human...LOL!!!

Some here would have never survived in any of my bands... your asses would have been tossed out on your heads.

I agree Duane, it is amazing how many threads pop up where the OP wants nothing more than a pity party. They must have a miserable life if the practices of a guitar company makes them this upset. :-({|=

I maybe think people are (overly) critical because of how expensive Gibsons are compared to other guitars. -Probably that, and the long-standing reputation Gibsons have for being some of the finest guitars made.

I don't get it though, if you aren't happy with something, don't buy it.

Other than Gibson trying to get into the computer business, I have very little problems with them. They do have products that fit most pocket books, but we have to remember that we get what we pay for. Of course there is the exception of the occasional lemon.

Why isn't this on Henry's forum? It meets all of the following criteria:

Whining

Complaining about prices

Wanting custom guitars especially for the poster

Unsubstantiated attacks on others

I want a Dave Grohl sig. They don't make em anymore. For the price of them, I'd rather get a Gretsch 6118 JR and have it customized to my exact specs for cheaper. Someone will always be there to take your money, go to a custom shop if you want it.

Or, here is a genius idea. Start your own custom shop! You could make bank off of everyone who wants guitars just like yours

When I was 19 I saved for a year to buy my first NEW gibson, it was the proudest day of my life, maybe equal to the first time I got laid, but then again a Gibson won't laugh at the size of your dang dong... :(dry.gif

Guitars.

1. Showcase editions.

3. Gibson Victory

6. Les Paul Standards!

7. Les Paul Customs!

3. Candy Apple Red

4. Candy Apple Blue

5. Candy Apple Green

6. Shamrock Green

8. Silver

9. Sunset Orange

Come back Gibson!!!

Holy molly !!!!!!! Ah, No Gibby has ever laughed at the size of my 'dang dong', but a Fender once did....That poor Fender payed dearly for that sin...Congrats on your higher learning.....Can't, er, won't comment on Gibson...I'd love to know the inside knowledge you have from six years at G.C.; Having said that, you must have come across many a fine Gibson Les Paul over the course of six years at G.C.; I understand the frustration and I feel your pain, but, I ignore Gibson's waywardness and concentrate on what they do right.......The quality Les Pauls that they do make are really good, and no one else makes a Gibson Les Paul..

Yup, could it be a generational thing duane V ?? Heck, In 30 years I've played in more bands than I can remember, and I fired many of them, and was fired myself every so often, and NEVER once did I cry, whine, or ***** and moan...And whenever a guitar let me down, I sold it, gave it away, smashed it on stage, or took it to the firing range to teach it some proper manners.....The only whine I like is well aged and comes in a bottle with a cork..

Yup, could it be a generational thing duane V ?? Heck, In 30 years I've played in more bands than I can remember, and I fired many of them, and was fired myself every so often, and NEVER once did I cry, whine, or ***** and moan...And whenever a guitar let me down, I sold it, gave it away, smashed it on stage, or took it to the firing range to teach it some proper manners.....The only whine I like is well aged and comes in a bottle with a cork..

Now I can agree with that! [thumbup] Maybe a Napa Cab or a good Pinot from Washington. [thumbup] But I digress.

Archived