• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Gibson Studio Faded Baked Maple vs. Opeche

#1 User is offline   TarHeelKid 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:39 PM

Gibson has introduced a couple of new stain colors in their Studio Faded line, but are using a different wood on the fret-board than the cherry or brown. The cherry and brown use a baked maple fretboard, while the new blue and ebony-stained models will have an obeche fretboard. I must admit this is a wood I am unfamiliar with. I wonder why they would ditch the maple, it seems very snappy and solid. Any ideas?
2012 Gibson Midtown Custom
2011 Gibson 50th Anniversary SG 24
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard AAA DC Pro 24
2009 Gibson Explorer
2007 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Ovangkol
Rivera Chubster 40 Combo
Fender 212R
Fender Super Champ XD
http://youtu.be/cENkUX0dVsE

#2 User is offline   Dallastx 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:16 PM

I kinda got freaked when I heard Gibson started using recycled paper and (baked)Maple for their fretboards, but when I remembered that alot of exotic car makers use polimers and plastics.. I didn't feel so bad.
D
2011 Gibson S G Standard
2009 Fender Special Edition Telecaster Ash
2006 Fender Custom Special Edition Stratocaster Ash
2000 Epiphone LesPaul Extreme Modded to the max.
2002 Alvarez Acoustic
1962 Victoria electric
2001 Hand made custom Telecaster
1973 Yamaha Acoustic
2012 Ensanada Classical
Various Pedals
Marshall Practice amp
2003 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

#3 User is offline   JellyWheat 

• Ancient Godlike Member
  • LocationPointe-au-Pic, Canada

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

Dallastx, on 24 November 2011 - 07:16 PM, said:

I kinda got freaked when I heard Gibson started using recycled paper and (baked)Maple for their fretboards, but when I remembered that alot of exotic car makers use polimers and plastics.. I didn't feel so bad.
D

Inasmuch as I have been able to gather from my own reading on this subject, obeche gets very poor write-ups as a wood type suitable for musical instruments. If you Google "oBeche" wood, you will get all kinds of hits. Check out some of the wood encyclopedias and wholesalers and see their write-ups... [I notice some of the musical instrument reviewers are "getting on the obeche bandwagon" and trumpeting it as a tonewood, but I put this down to their own vested interests in selling more guitars, regardless of what they are made of.]

Now, Gibson might be much more knowledgeable than I am about the suitability of this fingerboard material, but - from what I have been able to learn about obeche - I would rather have the phenol-impregnated paper material than that wood. I have had Hagstrom and Martin guitars with that synthetic ebony, and I found it not very different than the real thing. The only thing I noticed was that it gets shiny where you play on it, but a quick rub with a pencil eraser dulls it back down real quick, and also makes the frets shine like jewellery!

I like the sound and feel of baked maple very much, and I would not hesitate at all to buy a guitar with a fingerboard of that type, as long as it was at least as dark as charlie brown's new squeeze!

My $0.02/FWIW
J/W
:blink:
"If I'da felt this way buffore, I wouldn'a ett!"
Grandma JellyWheat, circa 1894

#4 User is offline   damian 

• The Guitar Whisperer
  • LocationIn The Misty Mountains With My Black Dog

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:38 PM

I will never own a guitar with an "obeche" fretboard........I have no problem with "baked maple" at all...............

Coming soon are Gibby fretboards from Ketchitan Rainforest maple trees !!!!!!!! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ..................

They will be known as "Baked Alaskan Maple" fretboards, or, "BAM !!!" fretboards...................

Ya know, once "Richlite" trees become endangered, they'll move on to something else............[flapper] [scared] [sneaky] .......
I use Atlas Stands because they are the best................. http://www.facebook.com/atlasstands ......American Made.......Rewind Pickups; MIA and the Best.......
.....................Codtone Pedals from OZ......................................." Ya'll remove hats, please "...................................Motor City Pickups......................................
.................................." I hate it when people compare god with jimmy page, I mean, he's good and all, but he's no jimmy page."..................................
Music Consultant, Songwriter........................................ - THE MENSA PRETZEL LOGIC PROJECT - .............................. Advocate for the Disabled, Gentle Hellraiser.

" It occured to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception." Einstein on his theory of relativity.
" Music is a higher relevation than all wisdom and philosophy. Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." Ludwig von Beethoven
" There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.' Johann Sebastian Bach
" Playing scales is like a boxer skipping rope or a punching bag. It's not the thing itself; it's preparatory to the activity." Barney Kessel
" After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Hoxley
" There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have crossed this line." Pianist Oscar Lavant
" Music came before language; musical grunts became words." Damian (copyright)
" I know how to get there, all I've got to do is keep playing." Jimmy Page
" Without music, life would be a mistake." Friedrich Nietzsche
" Music is an outburst of the soul." Fredrick Deluis
" Rock and Roll forever, man." Unknown
" Damian's cool." NeoConMan
" WTF ??? " dem00n
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   The RandyMan 

• What??
  • LocationThe North Coast

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:48 PM

With the vast array of exotic wood species across the planet, isn't there something that would be a suitable substitute for rosewood? While I realize that there is a whole lot of tradition behind using rosewood for fretboards, it seems odd to me that there isn't another type of wood that would be just as good for boards. There are many different type of wood being used in bodies (especially acoustics) because of their resonant characteristics. Could some of these be used as fretboards also??
I may be different, but I think I like it that way. To me, it's all about the value of existence. And I try to value everyone's existence, no matter how different you may be from me. The soul reason I'm here is music.

#6 User is offline   JellyWheat 

• Ancient Godlike Member

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:54 PM

The RandyMan, on 24 November 2011 - 07:48 PM, said:

With the vast array of exotic wood species across the planet, isn't there something that would be a suitable substitute for rosewood? While I realize that there is a whole lot of tradition behind using rosewood for fretboards, it seems odd to me that there isn't another type of wood that would be just as good for boards. There are many different type of wood being used in bodies (especially acoustics) because of their resonant characteristics. Could some of these be used as fretboards also??

I'm SURE you are correct, RandyMan... but I don't think obeche is one of them. I have a sapele Taylor nylon string that is awesome. It was a new, non-traditional wood to me, but I find it every bit as acceptable as mahogany or rosewood. It is slightly different, but most acceptable. What I'm trying to say here is that I don't consider myself to be an ebony/rosewood snob. I am open to alternative materials.

Read some stuff on obeche, and you may come to your own conclusions about its suitability, however.

Regards,
J/W
B)

[PS Damian: Would they not have an easier time if they used the proper scientific nomenclature for Richlite trees. That being Rychlytibus magnificans superioribus.?]

#7 User is offline   The RandyMan 

• What??
  • LocationThe North Coast

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:29 PM

I don't know if some of those here are rosewood "snobs" or if everyone is just so used to having one or two woods used as fretboards on their "weapons of choice" that they don't realize that if something needs to be replaced for whatever reason, that it's not the end of the tone world. Moreover, I'm surprised that the people that make these guitars don't go after something more fitting for their production. Are they just going for whatever cheap imitation they can grab in the shortest amount of time, or are they convinced that something like obeche or Richlite is really a suitable replacement? Especially when there are so many other alternatives available.

Besides (I hate to think in terms of marketing), to me, Richlite sounds more like something you'd use to cut down a tree than a type of tree. And there's always the conspiracy angle to it . . . Will there be a "cutoff date" to when guitars having rosewood boards will be exempt from the buying and selling laws surrounding things like ivory, etc.? Will rosewood become a type of bartering currency for the underground in the post-apocalyptic period when guitarists are considered outlaws and stopped at checkpoints to have their boards validated or confiscated?

I think I'm starting to regress . . . . Posted Image
I may be different, but I think I like it that way. To me, it's all about the value of existence. And I try to value everyone's existence, no matter how different you may be from me. The soul reason I'm here is music.

#8 User is offline   JellyWheat 

• Ancient Godlike Member

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:00 AM

The RandyMan, on 24 November 2011 - 09:29 PM, said:

I don't know if some of those here are rosewood "snobs" or if everyone is just so used to having one or two woods used as fretboards on their "weapons of choice" that they don't realize that if something needs to be replaced for whatever reason, that it's not the end of the tone world. Moreover, I'm surprised that the people that make these guitars don't go after something more fitting for their production. Are they just going for whatever cheap imitation they can grab in the shortest amount of time, or are they convinced that something like obeche or Richlite is really a suitable replacement? Especially when there are so many other alternatives available.

Besides (I hate to think in terms of marketing), to me, Richlite sounds more like something you'd use to cut down a tree than a type of tree. And there's always the conspiracy angle to it . . . Will there be a "cutoff date" to when guitars having rosewood boards will be exempt from the buying and selling laws surrounding things like ivory, etc.? Will rosewood become a type of bartering currency for the underground in the post-apocalyptic period when guitarists are considered outlaws and stopped at checkpoints to have their boards validated or confiscated?

I think I'm starting to regress . . . . Posted Image

[lol] [lol] [lol]

"Road to Regression"! There's a song in that! And my cart is following yours right on down the road, RandyMan!

Regards,
J/W
B)

#9 User is offline   Kimbabig 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:04 AM

Baked maple has better highs.
"Music is good for ya," -Popeye the Sailor Man

#10 User is offline   FirstMeasure 

• Rock-n-Roll Proselytizer
  • LocationSouther California Mountains

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:20 AM

Kimbabig, on 25 November 2011 - 06:04 AM, said:

Baked maple has better highs.

[thumbup]
Attention, emergency news! Godzilla is going toward the Ginza area!

My Band

That's the thing, do you recognize the Bells of Truth when you hear 'em ring? Stop and listen to the Children Sing!

#11 User is offline   G McBride 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCenterville, Indiana

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:20 AM

Cause it is Baked.

#12 User is offline   TarHeelKid 

• Advanced Member

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

Gibson themselves has confirmed that this maple is an unfinished product, unlike the Fender maple fingerboards, and can be oiled like rosewood, for a darker appearance and that smooth, slick feel. I don't plan on supporting this obeche move, sorry Gibson.
2009 Gibson Explorer
Rivera Chubster 40 Combo
Fender 212R
Fender Super Champ XD

#13 User is offline   TarHeelKid 

• Advanced Member

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:59 AM

Posted Image
2009 Gibson Explorer
Rivera Chubster 40 Combo
Fender 212R
Fender Super Champ XD

#14 User is offline   AlanH 

• Advanced Member

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:50 AM

I don't like the idea of it on first impressions because, well, the name "obeche" puts me right off to start with. However, the proof of the pudding has got to be in the eating so I'll reserve judgement until then.

I believe obeche comes from one of the Acacias or its relatives. Now I had an Acacia dealbata in my garden for about the last 8 years until the last winter killed it to down the ground. Although, only about 8" in diameter the trunk on it was very difficult to saw through- In fact, I had to go and buy a new Stanley saw to do it. When I did finally get it down I have to say that the wood was absolutely beautiful to look at and it seemed to resonate well. I wondered at the time whether Acacia wood could be used in guitar manufacture. Acacias grow pretty quickly too (I had to prune mine every year to keep it under control) so I can see why relatives of the Acacia might be a good choice.

Alan

Guitars:
Yamaha SE350; Gibson SG Faded; Epiphone Wildkat; Charvel USA Pro San Dimas Style 1 -2H; Gibson Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute Humbuckers; Ibanez RG 1570 Prestige; Peavey Millenium BXP4 bass

Sold:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus with JB and Jazz; Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe with 490R and 490T; Kramer Pacer Classic 2010

Amps:
Peavey Royal 8 Valve King; Peavey Backstage 50; Ashdown Tourbus 10W bass amp; Zoom H4 recorder/effects

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey (Overdrive); EH Pocket Metal Muff Nano (Distortion); Marshall Regenerator (Modulation); MXR Carbon Copy (Delay); Artec SE-GEQ (EQ/Tuner)

Sound clip: http://soundcloud.co...nhgtr1/alankob2
Video: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=c9rI5yP4v_k
Club: http://forum.gibson....ker-model-club/
Reviews: Wildkat; Pacer Classic
Useful restringing vid I found: http://www.youtube.c...B&v=Oclc4MHWbzw

#15 User is offline   JellyWheat 

• Ancient Godlike Member

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

AlanH, on 25 November 2011 - 10:50 AM, said:

I don't like the idea of it on first impressions because, well, the name "obeche" puts me right off to start with. However, the proof of the pudding has got to be in the eating so I'll reserve judgement until then.

I believe obeche comes from one of the Acacias or its relatives. Now I had an Acacia dealbata in my garden for about the last 8 years until the last winter killed it to down the ground. Although, only about 8" in diameter the trunk on it was very difficult to saw through- In fact, I had to go and buy a new Stanley saw to do it. When I did finally get it down I have to say that the wood was absolutely beautiful to look at and it seemed to resonate well. I wondered at the time whether Acacia wood could be used in guitar manufacture. Acacias grow pretty quickly too (I had to prune mine every year to keep it under control) so I can see why relatives of the Acacia might be a good choice.

This is one of the sources I am using for information:

http://www.thewoodex...ata/we1191.html

I don't believe Triplochitons are related to the Acacias, but I am not a botanist by trade. Most of the descriptions I have read compare the wood to others like basswood, and rate the crushing strength and structural strength of the obeche wood as being more similar to basswood than to true hardwoods.

To be honest, I wish Gibson would chime in on this, because there is so much ambiguity in the exotic wood trade, generally. I trust the craftsmen and women at Gibson pretty well, and if they were to reassure me that there were, in fact, good reasons for choosing the wood other than opportunism and economics, I might be more open-minded.

So far, however, nothing that I have been able to dig up on my own about obeche wood has been very reassuring. :(

J/W

#16 User is offline   krock 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBedfordshire, UK

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

i cant see me buying anything with obeche any time soon
Michael Kelly Patriot Limited Spalted | Custom Telecaster
Vox AC4 Head & Cab | Blackheart Handsome Devil Head & Cab | Zoom fire 30

#17 User is offline   JellyWheat 

• Ancient Godlike Member

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:54 AM

krock, on 25 November 2011 - 11:45 AM, said:

i cant see me buying anything with obeche any time soon

Well, I have learned in my travels that obeche was - apparently - the original wood of choice for...

... surfboards!

Regards/Happy Thanksgiving
J/W
:)

#18 User is offline   4Hayden 

• Just Jerking Your Chain

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:08 PM

Give Gibson their WOOD back !!!

#19 User is offline   lashurst 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBirmingham. UK

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:17 AM

By stopping the rosewood imports aren't the Feds causing people to starve in India? Surely they will be put out of work?

#20 User is offline   badbluesplayer 

• ZIPPER CLUBBER
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:04 AM

I have to believe that Gibson is pushing these new fretboard materials as some kind of knee-jerk reaction to them getting busted for those loads of wood.

I'm guessing that this is Gibson's way of having a tantrum. Nobody said they couldn't use rosewood. They just said they couldn't use the loads of rosewood that were illegally imported.

Maybe the new Richlite fretboard maintenance kit will include a spray bottle of Formula 409 and an eraser. [biggrin]

Hey Gibson, go buy some rosewood and stop whining. Being egocentric is fine, but not when it destroys your company. :rolleyes:

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users