Gibson Brands Forums

Laminated bridge?

littlejohnny

Hi,

as some of you might know, I like to watch guitar p*** on the internet a lot and sometimes I even contemplate about getting a second acoustic. (just because I want one to leave in my rehearsal space, now how about that argument for owning more than one +:-@ ).

Whatever, I came across a guitar, which interests me a lot, let's say it has the body-style an looks I'm after.

I had the shop send me some pictures. The guitar was made in late 2011.

Do I see a laminated bridge there?

Would you buy/try the guitar?

Would you pay the full price or would you negotiate?

Does a laminated bridge affect resale value?

All comments are welcome!

stegeinlage2_zps405826da.jpg

stegeinlage1_zps435e692f.jpg

stegeinlage4_zpsad944d16.jpg

yeah, I know its the "lacey act period", I'm a constant and close reader of this board.

I don't want to know anything about the reasons gibsons used laminated bridges nor about the supposed political backround ](*,)

I want to know, if you guys would or would not stay away from this guitar. Mayby some owner of laminated bridge guitars will chime in and tell if it bothers you.

And well I was already buckled up when I started this thread.

I want to know, if you guys would or would not stay away from this guitar. Mayby some owner of laminated bridge guitars will chime in and tell if it bothers you.

I have not one, but two Lacey Act models, the two guitars I play the most and the ones I gig with. Difference in sound, none at all.... absolutely none, anyone claiming to be able to hear a two part bridge will come under serious scrutiny as I simply wont believe them... countless tests have been posted about all sorts and the vast majority are always wildly wrong... It wont be a popular opinion here but a great many of us hear with our eyes & wallets....

I only bought one of the models (the J-50), the other one is a J-45 and was issued to me by Gibson as a guitar was deemed faulty and destroyed.

Agree, no difference in sound on the laminated bridge. It's basically an aesthetic choice - like bling or no bling. You would have some that would pass based on the laminate bridge, and the rest that would give it play and decide based on the sound and feel. So, the potential number of buyers would probably be narrowed, but I don't think the value would be affected.

Most people wouldn't notice a laminate bridge. In fact it was going on for a while before it was recognized and posted here.

Am I right in remembering del's hummingbird was a laminate bridge ?

Certainly nothing wrong with the way it sounded.

It certainly wouldn't bother me if the guitar sounded good

I think so, Del will chip in to confirm... Bobby B's HBTV was a lammy job as well.... I think I'm the only one in here with two from what I recall, maybe not by now though.

It does look laminated to me, but as others have pointed out, so what? I guess it depends on whether you're buying the guitar as a player or potential investment. As a player, it should make no difference.

Te modern adjustable bridge mechanisms are very good--many of the guitars equipped with them have great tone, so I wouldn't let that once factor alone dissuade you from purchasing.

Red 333

This is the first thread on this topic that hasen't..yet ?.. become full of ridiculous comments on the whole shebang

thank heavens

yes the HB TV has a laminated bridge.... didn't notice till it all exploded here..and it bothers me not one jot.

As others have said..if it sounds good..it is good :)

Say what you like about the whole issue (and I did at the time) but I was right, this issue will keep cropping back up..... I've said many many times it makes no difference soundwise, but for reasons well know, the 'laminate' word associated with these guitars would tarnish the image a tad and definitely impact the preconceptions people have of these models. We see that in this thread and the many others before it.

During that spell, you could buy rosewood bridges of big enough dimensions to fashion a Gibson bridge from it for $28 a pop, factor in the changes to suit the new blocks as a temp measure in labour terms, say add another $20... I'd have happily paid an extra $48 for a model with the bridge material coming from a third party. Given that an order the size that Gibson would have made it'd be nowhere near a $28 per unit cost either.

The fanboys and friends of Montana workers will leap on me again no doubt, but it was a cheap move management forced them to make and they were soon to drop the blurb and revert back to single piece as soon as it was possible for them to do so. Henry's white elephant projects aside, they by and large know what their customers want and deliver, but bridges/fretboards viewed as 'lesser' no matter how you spin it would never really come into what customers 'want'. Totally avoidable too. A real shame.

Do you guys think my bridge on my HBTV looks laminate? Love the sound just curious:

photo2_zps44c2d464.jpg

Thanks,

Sean

Sean, yours does not look like a lam bridge.

My HBTV does have a 3 ply ( trust me, mine does have 3 plies ) lam bridge.

The guitar sounds great, and that to me is it's saving grace. And for this reason I chose not to do anything about it.

It does however somewhat bother me seeing as this is the most expensive guitar that I have ever bought for myself.

It just does not seem 'right' for the caliber of guitar that it is.

By no means unwarranted, imo, if this bothers others too, completely understandable.

I may one day swap it out.....although, realistically, I may just leave it as it is something I don't think about much at all ...until I read a thread on the subject.

Bobby

What makes one think littlejohnny's bridge is laminated? From the pictures I cannot tell.

Look at the right side of his first bridge pic. There's a seam on the slope where the light and dark grain bands don't line up.

Here's an example where it's pretty obvious -

BridgeLamination.jpg

My most expensive guitar is the Hummingbird TV, it has the laminate bridge ... didnt give two hoots about it, sounds and looks wicked, thats all im interested in.

It's my least expensive two which have it (45 & 50) and like yourself, I'm not at all bothered, but it seems only those of us who own/have played them feel that way.... as a proposal it's usually met with a lot of scepticism or a downright naysaying.....

I suppose the remaining question is, there's two guitars, they look, feel, play excellent, both sound almost identical, you have no sonic preference between them, one has a lam bridge, the other is a single piece, both are priced the same, which one do you buy?

It's my least expensive two which have it (45 & 50) and like yourself, I'm not at all bothered, but it seems only those of us who own/have played them feel that way.... as a proposal it's usually met with a lot of scepticism or a downright naysaying.....

I suppose the remaining question is, there's two guitars, they look, feel, play excellent, both sound almost identical, you have no sonic preference between them, one has a lam bridge, the other is a single piece, both are priced the same, which one do you buy?

However I would have an issue if it had the laminate fingerboard, as I saw a few specimens with the laminate fingerboard and it looked and felt cheap, didnt like it. Luckily my HB TV was produced near the end of the 'probation' period and by then the fingerboard was already solid (contacted Gibson to find out), although dont know why they couldnt do the same with the bridge.

However I would have an issue if it had the laminate fingerboard, as I saw a few specimens with the laminate fingerboard and it looked and felt cheap, didnt like it. Luckily my HB TV was produced near the end of the 'probation' period and by then the fingerboard was already solid (contacted Gibson to find out), although dont know why they couldnt do the same with the bridge.

Unless you peel back the binding, you've really no way to confirm that EA....

Archived