Gibson Brands Forums

URGENT HELP NEEDED PLEASE!!!!!!

Kineman Karma

G'day everybody 8)

I urgently need quick responses from experienced members of this forum that are seriously in the know of their Fender/Gibson instruments.

Yesterday I became aware of a friend of mine at work who is battling his third bout with Cancer :( Our workplace is holding a quiz night for him and is requesting donations of items to auction at this event to raise funds for a trip for him.

I am going to donate a Squier Strat that I don't use, so today after work I headed to a local Guitar Shop to buy new strings for the Squier Strat.

This is a shop that I normally only buy strings and picks from.

Upon my entry into the store I saw my contact leaning over what appeared to be at first glance, a Gibson LP Copy. I assumed that because this shop is not a Fender/Gibson Dealer.

As I got closer to the Guitar I saw the headstock read Gibson with Les Paul CUSTOM scribed into the bell plate.

I didn't even think about asking for a set of strings at this time because the Gibbo caught my eye.

As I was drewling we got to talking about this axe and my contact said to me;

" Hey mate, have a look at this one, It is a 1970 - 1972 LP CUSTOM. "

I said, " Are you doing a set up for someone ? "

He said, " I am cleaning the fretboard and giving it a set up to hang on the wall, I am selling it for someone. "

I said; " How much ? "

he said; " $2000 AUD "

My jaw dropped.....with suprise as to why so cheap.

I then began to tell him that I was looking for my unicorn, a vintage

Fender Strat.

He smiled at me and said, you are kidding me.

He told his son to go to the back of the store and grab the old Strat.

When he said that, My heart started racing even more thinking it was a 50's or 60's Strat... non ri.

I saw a sqare case being carried out and when the lad opened the case, I started to become a bit emotional.

Finally I have found a place that had old classics that I have a spot in my heart for.

Ok the Strat was not a 50's or 60's Strat but it is wonderful.

Here is my dilema, I have the choice to buy one of these baby's as both are being put up on the wall for sale at the shop, but I am seeking your advice as to which one would be the best to buy.

Gibson LP CUSTOM 1970 - 1972 $2000 AUD serial number 184691

Fender 3 tone sunburst Stratocaster 1976 $1500 AUD serial numb 711834

My contact at the Store said that the owner has not played them since his last gig in the early 80's, and both players guitars have up until now,

been sitting at his mothers house in the country, in a shed.

I have 24 hrs to make a decision so here they are.

Thanks for any expert help!!!

Photo1127.jpg

Photo1128.jpg

Photo1129.jpg

Photo1130.jpg

Photo1133.jpg

Photo1141.jpg

Photo1110.jpg

Photo1112.jpg

Photo1123.jpg

Photo1122.jpg

that custom is so cheap because it has been modded quite heavily. funny thing about 70s strats, is that they were considered ugly junk at the time and now they command "vintage" prices.

How much is the price of the LPC in US dollars? Even with all the mods, I would be inclined to go Gibson. But then again, this is the Gibson Forum.

that custom is so cheap because it has been modded quite heavily. funny thing about 70s strats, is that they were considered ugly junk at the time and now they command "vintage" prices.

How much is the price of the LPC in US dollars? Even with all the mods, I would be inclined to go Gibson. But then again, this is the Gibson Forum.

G'day Mate,

Yeah I am running this on the Fender sight as well... and the boys are saying go for the LP Custom.

I have Strats galore and only 1 Gibson wich is my SG 61ri... hmmmmm $2000 AUD for that peice of history aint a bad price here in Aus considering these are pretty darn rare here.

Thanks for the interest..

I don't think the strat is a 70s. I think its more like a late 60s, Hendrix era. 70s strats have the serial numbumer on the headstock like todays. I think the poster should post the strat pics at fender's forum for more precise dating and authenticity .

I don't think the strat is a 70s. I think its more like a late 60s, Hendrix era. 70s strats have the serial numbumer on the headstock like todays.

Nope. It's a '76. Three-hole neckplate with serial number between 690000 and 750000

G'day again everybody :D

Well it is very easy for me to describe to you how I am feeling at the moment..

ABSOLUTE ADRENALIN X1000

After spending 3 hours in the store with my contact disecting the strat and the LP, I presented all arguements to the seller via the shop contact.

The seller sadly let both of them go to me at $500 for the Strat and $1000 for the LP.

I had to contain all of my excitement to sound professional.

So there it is, not bad considering I initially went into the store to buy a $10 set uf strings. They are a very expensive set of strings at $1500 :P

I am now the proud owner of a 1976 Fender 3 tone sunburst maple neck Strat.

I am also the Proud owner of a 1970-1972 Gibson Les Paul Custom.

Prior to this buy, my next purchase was going to be a Gibson SG Standard Ebony at $2000 AUD. That has been cancelled now that I have me two Rockers..

Thanks again to everbody who responded with their brilliant knowledge base... You guy's really helped me to present the right arguement.

If you were local to me I would be ya all a beer.

OMG, what a story I have to tell my two young boys when they grow old and responsible enough to inherit all of my Fenders/Gibson's guitars and amps.

Thanks Again.

Congrats, Man!

That stuff never happens here in Hong Kong.. it's new or nothing!

I'm looking for a '77 SG Special or Standard.. but it's impossible to get vintage stuff here. My only hope is back in the UK... my family may be able to get one for me and bring it over hand carry on a plane...?

Ahh well. Happy for you, man!

Chiseen

G'day again everybody :D

Well it is very easy for me to describe to you how I am feeling at the moment..

ABSOLUTE ADRENALIN X1000

After spending 3 hours in the store with my contact disecting the strat and the LP, I presented all arguements to the seller via the shop contact.

The seller sadly let both of them go to me at $500 for the Strat and $1000 for the LP.

I had to contain all of my excitement to sound professional.

So there it is, not bad considering I initially went into the store to buy a $10 set uf strings. They are a very expensive set of strings at $1500 :P

I am now the proud owner of a 1976 Fender 3 tone sunburst maple neck Strat.

I am also the Proud owner of a 1970-1972 Gibson Les Paul Custom.

Prior to this buy, my next purchase was going to be a Gibson SG Standard Ebony at $2000 AUD. That has been cancelled now that I have me two Rockers..

Thanks again to everbody who responded with their brilliant knowledge base... You guy's really helped me to present the right arguement.

If you were local to me I would be ya all a beer.

OMG, what a story I have to tell my two young boys when they grow old and responsible enough to inherit all of my Fenders/Gibson's guitars and amps.

Thanks Again.

Great score! You did better than me, You got two guitars for much lower price I paid for an early 70s Les Paul Custom I got for $1700. These early 70s Lus Paul Customs are fantastic guitars indeed.

p9140205.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2010-09-14

I picked up my LP Custom today....omg what a tone monster [scared]

Well I got her home and as I already knew the neck pickup was dead.

I checked all solder contacts and as I suspected, a broken contact.

Well I did a resolder and whammo neck pup now back in the pool with the bridge pup.

Man I love the splitter switches, they give me more tonal range and options.

I will post new pics asap.

Photo1128-1.jpg

Well folks, a quick update of my 73 LPC.

Last night I had my first rehearsal with her and omg I was high on the tone of this baby.

As I have mentioned I have put the 76 Fender Strat in for a refret job. That is 4 weeks away from pickup.

Anyway whilst I am waiting for the Strat to come back I have been tinkering with my LPC.

At the moment due to a shortfall of cash until our gig's come around soon, I have replaced the following parts on the LPC with Gotoh Parts until I can step by step replace them with genuine Gibson parts. I am thinking about replacing the Neck PUP with a matching black Seymour Duncan NECK PUP as black in colour like the bridge SEYMOUR DUNCAN PUP. I have swapped the Switch tip to a black one.

Here they are for now, Gotoh Tuners, Gotoh Stop Tail Peice, Gotoh Bridge, Jim Dunlop Straplocks.

Photo1438.jpg

Photo1439.jpg

Photo1440.jpg

Photo1441.jpg

Photo1443.jpg

Photo1444.jpg

Photo1445.jpg

Archived