Gibson Brands Forums

A Gibson is leading a pole on AGF

bram99

Good Idea, even though I had to leave my 02 cents worth as well.

I love that they have it for Rhythm!! I was curious how it was regarded in the Rhythm catagory. I've seen some great finger style done on it here but no so much strummed songs. I tried one out in GC recently, it was a standard and felt and sounded amazing. I'm finally getting the finger style a bit. Took my brain a long time to have both hands doing something. I can see why it excels at it, it's just easier on that guitar! I see now what all the fuss is about with the J45! Got me thinking about selling my Taylor and buying one. msp_smile.gif

I see now what all the fuss is about with the J45! Got me thinking about selling my Taylor and buying one. msp_smile.gif

yes you should....took me a while to see the same thing...after getting a J45TV (and an LG2) I now have a completely ignored D28 in the closet.

I saw that poll too. I woulda voted Hummingbird ..... was not a choice though.

I have also noticed quite a few Gibson N G Days and more Gibson praise than usual on the AGF lately too. [thumbup]

jannusguy-You won my heart. Here's one that includes some of my "favorites": I poled alot of luthers about there choice of tonewoods. The thing that fascinates me about the AGF is just the sheer volume of what goes on and the breadth of topics. It's like the National Enquirer of guitar forums. I get mesmerized by the vapidness.

Poll for Pete's sake. Not pole.

Here I am trying to start a conversation about anything but the personal barbs that the damn thread on how the Lacey act raid was politically motivated devolved too, and back to talking about guitars and you guys are going to give me grief for spelling? Maybe I should have started a thread on pick guard location instead....or is that pick-guard? No wait.... pickguard. Whew..glad I caught that I time....or someone would have set me right.

I am the guy who started the thread on AGF. I worded it specifically for "Rhyhm Accompaniment for Vocals". After reading so many times that "Gibson guitars are designed to complement the human voice" it was an interesting test. Not sure why some of you are down on AGF, there is lot's of Gibson love over there. There are always haters for every brand... I ignore the gnats. Glad to be here on the Gibson forum.

PS: Taylor is NOT the gold standard on AGF! I would say Collings holds that title.

I am the guy who started the thread on AGF. I worded it specifically for "Rhyhm Accompaniment for Vocals". After reading so many times that "Gibson guitars are designed to complement the human voice" it was an interesting test. Not sure why some of you are down on AGF, there is lot's of Gibson love over there. There are always haters for every brand... I ignore the gnats. Glad to be here on the Gibson forum.

PS: Taylor is NOT the gold standard on AGF! I would say Collings holds that title.

Welcome! We can certainly benefit from some new blood. (No pun intended) A little fresh air... there, that sounds better. We have some type of automated survey building tool here. I'm not sure how it works, only seen it used for rating strings, but I'm sure it's very simple. I mean user friendly. Just be careful if you create any surveys here, you don't use any nationalistic spelling error slurs to describe them.

From a few repeating polls it seems Martin is the standard and I think 45% of voters claimed it to be their favourite brand, followed by Taylor and Gibson lagging behind.

I find because Martin has a such a stranglehold over the AGF so many folks have a herd mentality and have a hard time accepting tonal palates other than Martin. A good example is that many consider the D-28 to be a 'balanced' guitar, even though to the rest of the world it is unashamedly bass focused, not as much as the HD-28 but still hell of a lot more than say an AJ.

Basically I found you can illustrate to a Martin owner that something is white and they will swear its black, so tunnel visioned many of them are up there.

Then you occasionally get the Martin owner who 'saw the light' and realised the Gibson magic ... few and far between.

I'm on the AGF too, not that often, I would however agree with what EA is saying there. For me it tends to be fairly Martin biased. Each to their own though, I've no need for acceptance from others for my choices and couldn't give too much of a monkeys if some stranger tells me they don't like gibson or choices I have made.

It's a good resource if you remember to look at it with a balanced view, but getting into the herd mentality, it's clear to see and often reports preference based info as 'truth', there I disagree.

For me it tends to be fairly Martin biased. Each to their own though

Which is kind of ironic because when I joined the AGF in 2003 it was called the Taylor Guitar Forum.

Which is kind of ironic because when I joined the AGF in 2003 it was called the Taylor Guitar Forum.

True enough, but the change to a general forum rather than Taylor specific blew the wind of change through the dusty halls. ;)

I'm fine with anyone's preferences though, if they love their Martins and their Taylors or their bespoke jobs good on em... their opinion is only as a valid as the next guy who might not agree with every sentiment they post.

Where I find most amusement though is when the bespoke crowd kick in about how production guitars are not good enough and the latest high-dollar custom rolls in the door, is declared 'the one' then ends up on the classifieds soon after to a very limited audience given the very personal nature of the choices a custom provokes, then takes an absolute beating on resale price.... haha, yes manufactured guitars are terrible mate, totally terrible ;)

True enough, but the change to a general forum rather than Taylor specific blew the wind of change through the dusty halls. ;)

I'm fine with anyone's preferences though, if they love their Martins and their Taylors or their bespoke jobs good on em... their opinion is only as a valid as the next guy who might not agree with every sentiment they post.

Where I find most amusement though is when the bespoke crowd kick in about how production guitars are not good enough and the latest high-dollar custom rolls in the door, is declared 'the one' then ends up on the classifieds soon after to a very limited audience given the very personal nature of the choices a custom provokes, then takes an absolute beating on resale price.... haha, yes manufactured guitars are terrible mate, totally terrible ;)

Yes I agree, there is a few on there who think any factory guitar is inferior to an individual luthier built guitar. Having owned both over the years I strongly disagree with this train of thought. Funny how most of the famous guitar players seem to play factory built guitars though.

Actually, the AGF was already in existence when the Taylor Guitar Forum had to disband (for a reason I don't recall). It was then absorbed into the AGF, giving the Taylor folks a place to land.

I was an active member of the AGF back around 2001, and Chris Martin used to participate regularly. That was the year he introduced Micarta fretboards & bridges on 16-Series guitars. A lot of people gave him hell for it (including me), and shortly thereafter he dropped off the board.

Haven't looked at the AGF in many years.

Actually, the AGF was already in existence when the Taylor Guitar Forum had to disband (for a reason I don't recall). It was then absorbed into the AGF, giving the Taylor folks a place to land.

I was an active member of the AGF back around 2001, and Chris Martin used to participate regularly. That was the year he introduced Micarta fretboards & bridges on 16-Series guitars. A lot of people gave him hell for it (including me), and shortly thereafter he dropped off the board.

Haven't looked at the AGF in many years.

yes Bob Taylor used show up there to, people were so rude to the guy in some of the threads that I guess he pulled the plug on the Taylor Guitar forum thing.

Keep in mind that even when the big stars play "Gibson" or "Fender," chances are they've had a serious guitar tech go in and switch out everything in the guitar for an upgrade. Same with the amps. Neil Young has gone as far as having a reverb plate set beneath the stage.

The second tier stars probably have less done.

As for the AGF Board, I do see lots of love for Martins, but with all due respect EA, I don't think loving Gibsons is seeing the light as much as accepting other tonal palettes. I've played some mighty impressive Martins and if one came to me at the right price I would gladly switch out a Gibson or two, for variety's sake.

It's the guys over there who talk about how their Taylors play circles around Gibsons that make me wonder how anyone could possibly hear that. But then the most adamant of those guys seems to be someone who plays primarily in church, so they probably have no interest in the dark, dirty, gritty tones of a good Gibson and honestly prefer the bright, shiny, happy Taylor tone.

That said, I have a Taylor 210e that even my hardcore Gibson buds must admit is a great guitar and that's a lower-end Taylor.

Archived