Gibson Brands Forums

A Rose is a Rose

Izzy

I am pretty sure that GnR guitarist's name is NOT Izzy Stradlin but that is one cool name!

It's unusual for guitarists to use stage names, unless they sing too, so I don't expect many of you to have one, but

do any of you have a stage name?

is it pointless if you're in a band?

is it retarded and pretentious?

if you had one what would it be?

I've always just been me, the name I was born with, on stage or off.

In fact, when I do an 1860s-70s first person living history thing, I still use my own name 'cuz the original milod was born July 15, 1842 and was in the Army as of August of '62.

I've never seen a reason to do the stage name or take on a persona other than the loose cannon that I am and have been. Then again, I've also called myself a traditionalist iconoclast, so figure that one... <grin>

m

In the '60s, the first rock band I played with was advertised on regional radio as "the band you've gotta see to believe."

I look back and get a huge chuckle out of that.

m

In the '60s, the first rock band I played with was advertised on regional radio as "the band you've gotta see to believe."

I look back and get a huge chuckle out of that.

m

#-o

Do you suppose the stage name is adopted to protect the artist from merging with the stage persona?

An old used car dealer of rural regional fame once told me that you don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle.

Clarence Hoebelheinrich likely wouldn't sound like much sizzle, but Hobie Hands might...

And that brings another grin. That names' made up but... what the heck.

m

The 2 most obvious example that come to mind are The Edge and Slash. Both pretty cool IMO.

I doubt I would ever adopt a stage name myself, but then I never had any real expectation of "making it" as a professional guitarist. I think it could be looked at as a legitimate career choice or a total D-bag move. :-k

Stage names were once to protect the individual's private lives. On stage, I'd be White Hat Willie so that no one was looking up Chanman in the phonebook.

In this day and age, I don't see much point. My stage name, for the record, was going to be Dustin James should it ever have become necessary.

I actually just played as me, solo or band.

Hmm, never thought about it. If I did I'd use John St. Luke. That's my first and middle name. My last name is never pronounced correctly and it's very unique. It means the wino in Greek. I wish I was kidding but I'm not. My great grandfather was the town drunk. They really didn't use last names back then. So he was known as John the Wino. For some reason my grandfather picked that as his last name. I don't drink so I couldn't use that, but then again I'm no saint either. [sneaky]

I think a lot of those stage names were simply nicknames,

Others are definitely stage names.......and then there is the symbol, the artist formerly known as prince.

If I had a stage name it would probably be in a band setting since I am not talented to be a solo artist.

My name would probably be simply Jörge,

Axl Rose is an anagram. Oral sex.....

It can never be unseen...

I figured it may also be because of racism.

Rita Cansino is known to most as Rita Hayworth. Hayworth is way more...glam.

Archived