Gibson Brands Forums

Why are Tube Watts so much louder than Solid State?

tulsaslim

I wanted to tag this on to the thread about amps but it's getting pretty long.

We all know that tube watts are louder than solid state watts. Why is that? Isn't a watt a watt?

I do know that my 15 watt tube amp will blow away (in volume) any 30-watt solid state amp but don't know why.

But I know at least one of you guys has the answer :)

"Watts" is a mathematical calculation of power consumption, not a measure of loudness. Loudness is measured in "decibels". Though higher watts does certainly mean higher volume, the only actual way to compare the volume output of any two amps is to measure the decibels they produce, for each amp, or type of amp, may have a different "efficiency".

It's just like the fact that light bulbs are described per wattage, but the brightness of light is actually measure in "lumens". That's why a the new compact fluorescent light bulb listed as 15w (power consumed) puts out the same light as an old style 60w incandescent bulb (950 lumens).

You can push tubes beyond their rated power and they'll ease on through various stages of distortion, which our ears find pleasing, before they hit a square wave output, which our ears DON'T like. IOW, they'll keep getting louder. Transistors go straight to a square wave when overdriven. They don't have any sweet spots. When they hit the wall, that's all they have to give. So you can't drive them like you can tubes.

My Twin is rated at 135 watts RMS. That means it is producing 135 watts at it's lowest setting.

It's peak wattage is almost 300. More than double the RMS rating.

SS amps also are rated at RMS, but I don't believe they have a higher peak rating. They just bleed off unused power at lower settings.

I would imagine it's similar to the differences in passive and active pickup systems, with the tube amp being the active, and the SS amp being the passive.

I can't explain the science, but I will say this:

My new Marshall all tube 1923 50w 2x12 DSL combo absolutely SMOKES my 80W Marshall hybrid. With a full band inc drum kit, I have the volume control at or around 3.5 and our 2nd guitarist could barely hear his 100W Solid State combo on full whack, too.

I'd happily have a 30W or even 22W tube, but the 1923C was just too sexy, there were only 500 made and they include a cert signed by Jim Marshall, too - for added candy.

Edit - I need to update my signature.!

• 2 weeks later...
"Watts" is a mathematical calculation of power consumption' date=' not a measure of loudness. Loudness is measured in "decibels". Though higher watts does certainly mean higher volume, the only actual way to compare the volume output of any two amps is to measure the decibels they produce, for each amp, or type of amp, may have a different "efficiency".

It's just like the fact that light bulbs are described per wattage, but the brightness of light is actually measure in "lumens". That's why a the new compact fluorescent light bulb listed as 15w (power consumed) puts out the same light as an old style 60w incandescent bulb (950 lumens).

[/quote']

X-zactly .=D>

We all know that tube watts are louder than solid state watts. ...

You are committing a thinko: confusing power and loudness. This involves efficiency.

"Watts" is a mathematical calculation of power consumption' date=' not a measure of loudness. Loudness is measured in "decibels". Though higher watts does certainly mean higher volume, the only actual way to compare the volume output of any two amps is to measure the decibels they produce, for each amp, or type of amp, may have a different "efficiency".

It's just like the fact that light bulbs are described per wattage, but the brightness of light is actually measure in "lumens". That's why a the new compact fluorescent light bulb listed as 15w (power consumed) puts out the same light as an old style 60w incandescent bulb (950 lumens).[/quote']

Excellent explanation, and nice analogy.

Should we be referring this to a wiki somewhere?

It's because when a tube clips it does so in a more rounded fahion (not simply clipped) and produces more overtones so you hear more sounds. Great article explaining how tubes work here.

http://digital.premierguitar.com/premierguitar/200901/?folio=143

Hey, thanks for the article. That's great info...now I'm primed to go digging for my college course materials...probably long gone by now.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived