Gibson Brands Forums

Prevent buckle rash

brc

Hasn't anyone tried these? They work great even on the Nitro (but you are NOT to leave it on after playing)!!! I never seem to have one on for more than a couple of hours when I play play. Not a gigger so that may be a really short time for some of ya's.

Love them for all my gits and have a couple. Pretty cheap at MF and others. It's a "Scratch Pad" and it uses just a surface contact to stick. Comes on kind of a nylon backer that you peel off of the pad. Lay it onto the back of the Guitar and your ready. If it get's dirty you just wash the non-stickum back side and its good again. Used on the nitro Tele, Rics (conversion varnish) and the SG with Nitro. Fine on the Poly stuff for sure too.

Aster

ScratchPad.jpg

I like that one even better. The one I bought was smaller and clear.

I get real picky about scratches and damage to my vintage guitars.Only use then when playing, then store then in the case. Looks like I will be ordering a bunch of those.. Thanks for the post.

Ahhh, Crimming sakes! They are only $20 if they aren't on sale. Fast & easy to use. I can't hardly find a tee-shirt to tuck into my pants front over my belt as quick as I can use this things. And I don't have to look dang stupid like an Indian in a loin cloth attempting to play a guitar either! :rolleyes: Danged if that alone isn't worth $20 to me and yes, I have great respect for Indians (esp. Apache, Comanche & Cleveland many others too, just not the Braves). [biggrin]

Aster

In my part of the world in the '60s and '70s you pretty much could tell the guitar players by the way their belt buckles were pretty much on their left hip.

But am I the only one who remembers the Gretch snap-on leather piece on some of their semis in that era?

m

In my part of the world in the '60s and '70s you pretty much could tell the guitar players by the way their belt buckles were pretty much on their left hip.

But am I the only one who remembers the Gretch snap-on leather piece on some of their semis in that era?

m

Nope, Had one myself in the late 60s. Matter of fact wish I had that guitar today.Could kick myself in the arse for the guitars I have bought/sold but should have hung on to

www.musiciansbelt.com

Now that's a GREAT idea, I think I need one, even though 90% of my playing these days is sitting down.

Back in the 70's I had a musicians belt that had the buckle end cut out of flat leather in a specific pattern that you "weaved" together into sort of a flat knot. The pack rat that I am, I'm sure I still have it SOMEWHERE, although I doubt it has expanded with age as I have.

m

That sounds like a great idea!! Doesn't a Country Gent already have a large leather back circle on it (really for install of all the PUP's & such I thought)? Gent owners can confirm like CB. But that would be a rash free zone in it's own right. I'm all for just playing like John Lennon and the top of the upper bout & can rest my chin on it!! [biggrin]

Aster

Maybe its me. But I find it odd that people will spend big bucks on their guitars, but dont see the need to spend a couple of bucks to protect it from damage like buckle rash. I have guitars I have owned sense the early 60s that I played nightly from about 1964 to the mid 70s, traveled all over with them, and to this day, not one of my guitars has any type of damage other than a slight scuff here and there.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Guest Farnsbarns

Maybe its me. But I find it odd that people will spend big bucks on their guitars, but dont see the need to spend a couple of bucks to protect it from damage like buckle rash. I have guitars I have owned sense the early 60s that I played nightly from about 1964 to the mid 70s, traveled all over with them, and to this day, not one of my guitars has any type of damage other than a slight scuff here and there.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Different strokes indeed. My view is that I bought a guitar for it's sound and feel, not the lacquer. I'm not gonna ding it and scratch it on purpose but at the same time I want to enjoy it for it's primary use without being hindered by worrying about it's aesthetics.

I also never use a screen protector on my smartphone, I think it's ridiculous to go to such lengths to protect the screen that it looks and feels crap anyway.

Different strokes indeed. My view is that I bought a guitar for it's sound and feel, not the lacquer. I'm not gonna ding it and scratch it on purpose but at the same time I want to enjoy it for it's primary use without being hindered by worrying about it's aesthetics.

I couldn't agree more. It in no way affects either sound or feel and is purely cosmetic. But ya different strokes.

On a new guitar the first ding is always the hardest. I have mine on my classic custom. I popped it's cherry.

Now I got that over with I don't gotta worry about it lol.

I have seriously been considering refretting my new guitar,, is that a bad thing? am I a bad man?

I think one of the worst cases of buckle rash I have ever seen was around 1975<give or take a year> I had a guitar shop in Las Vegas and did a lot of work for the big acts that played at the hotels.At the time he went by Kenny Rogers and the First Edition, anyway his lead player brought in a black Les Paul with the back side of the body so worn out by his buckle, that not only was about 90% of the paint removed from the back side of the body, but the body had grooves in it of almost 1/4". Guitar was pretty much trash, all the way around, so he bought either <forgot how many> 3 or 4 new guitars the same day. I wanted to buy his worn out Les Paul from him, but he wanted to keep it.

Now that's a GREAT idea, I think I need one, even though 90% of my playing these days is sitting down.

<...>

I actually got the idea from this forum. I think it was Mac who suggested a "Mechanic's Belt". They make them for automobile mechanics so that they don't scratch the paint job of the cars they work on.

I bought a couple from Andy at mechanicsbelt.com and he said he had a few musician's buying them so he opened another page called musiciansbelt.com

The come in a variety of styles and here are a couple of pictures of the no-scratch buckles

weave-brown.jpg

plain-black.jpg

eagle-white.jpg

Note: I have no affiliation with musiciansbelt.com except I am a happy customer.

Insights and incites by Notes

Up High, like Gerry Marsden (Gerry & The Pacemakers) used to play! [biggrin]

gerry-marsden.jpg

Me, I just either don't wear a buckle, or (more often) just slide it out of the

way, off to the side, before I play. [thumbup]

CB

Gerry played it high so he could see what chords he was playing, he said that in an interview.

Bob

I think one of the worst cases of buckle rash I have ever seen was around 1975<give or take a year> I had a guitar shop in Las Vegas and did a lot of work for the big acts that played at the hotels.At the time he went by Kenny Rogers and the First Edition, anyway his lead player brought in a black Les Paul with the back side of the body so worn out by his buckle, that not only was about 90% of the paint removed from the back side of the body, but the body had grooves in it of almost 1/4". Guitar was pretty much trash, all the way around, so he bought either <forgot how many> 3 or 4 new guitars the same day. I wanted to buy his worn out Les Paul from him, but he wanted to keep it.

That's what I'm talking about, play that MF'er, that's what they're for.

Archived